Titanic passengers who cancelled voyage

L

Lucy

True story...

...an American millionaire and his wife book passage on the Titanic returning from a trip to confection shops in Europe. He was to bring back the secret that would build one of the best known American companies and found a town. AT the last minute, they decide to stay for a few more days and cancell their trip...

If this man had been on the Titanic, the information he had about chocolate would have gone down with the Titanic...

That man was Milton S. Hershey, and if he had not cancelled his trip back to America the world would never have know the most famous chocolate of the time (and now)...The Hershey Chocolate Bar...And the town of Hershey Pennsylvania would never have been built.

Apr 14, 2001
lucy mr hershey may not have been the only one who booked a trip on titanic and cancelled on the last minute i will give you an example j.p. morgan the owner of the company that mr ismay was in booked a trip on the titanic but cancelled at the last minute and i dont how many others booked a trip on the titanic but cancelled at the last minute but that is the only one i know by heart but i am sure there might be others who can shed more light on the subject jennifer mueller

L

Lucy

I know that, I am not stupid...I have studied the Titanic for almost 30 years, I was just saying that many people don't bring up Milton Hershey when they discuss Titanic...I have lists of people who cancelled passage or missed the boat so to speak. SO I know where I am coming from...I was just mentioning a name that had NOT been mentioned here in the past (that I know of anyway)

Karen

Jun 19, 2011
Lucy
With an attitude like yours I find it difficult to believe you are an adult.

W

William Conrad

What the hell is a 'Hershey Chocolate Bar'? This must be something famous in America, as we don't have them here in Britain? I assume that it's some sort of chocolate sweet (doh), but what makes it different from any other chocolate bar out there?

K

Karen Angstadt

Hi William, I don't know about the rest of the info listed above, but a hershey chocolate bar is the best. I'm a true chocoholic and can say hersheys is great. Wonder how much it would cost to mail you one? :) Karen

May 12, 2005
Let's hear it for Hershey's! Having spent much time in England I can say that, though I love most everything about that beautiful country, the Brits are missing out when it comes to chocolate! I wonder why Hershey's doesn't sell there?

Nov 22, 2000
Now come on Randy, let's be sensible about this! I love travelling through America, but when I do, I always have to bring any decent chocolate with me from the United Kingdom.I do not understand why the USA doesn't import more decent chocolate from Europe and the UK, we have to bring it with us to satisfy the tastes of our American friends. It has to be said that the US is a cultural backwater when it comes to chocolate production and indeed, Mr Hershey has a lot to answer for!

Nov 22, 2000
Randy,

So sorry to have hurt your feelings - have a Hershey Bar to console yourself!
Have to say, I really enjoy your postings Randy, they're always interesting and thought provoking. How did we get from cancelled passages to Hershey Bars???

Regards from "The Old Country"

Geoff

Brian Meister

Mar 1, 2001
Geoff and Randy,

I think this thread disintegrated faster
than a tooth that had experienced its 1000th
candy convention! Don't ask me how we got from
cancelled passenger to Hershey, Pennsylvania,
and I don't expect anyone else does either.

Brian Meister

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
I hope everyone's happy!! I just went off my diet!

Can't talk now...

God Bless Willy Wonka
Cook

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
As an antipodean who has lived in the USA and who now lives in the UK, I can settle the question of finest quality chocolate definitively:

Belgium, of course.

;-)

Ing

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Anti Hershey bars for one thing. Whitman's chocolates also achieve mediocrity. Two cases of good old American cant' do.

Off topic? Diversions R Us!

Aug 5, 2005
It seems that every once and awhile I get hooked on finding out information regarding those passengers that failed to take the Titanic's maiden voyage. Of course we all know of the more celebrated cancellations, such a J.P. Morgan's and the Vanderbilt's, but I am interested in those lesser known would-be passengers. There has been rampant speculation ever since the Titanic's sinking as to who exactly was booked on the voyage but decided to forego the trip. I have read countless stories of individuals who were to have booked passage on the Titanic but at the last moment felt leary about going and cancelled. Thanks to the "Cave list" we know that a few first-class passengers who were confirmed but for unknown reasons didn't make the sailing. Those individuals were:

Anne K. Eastman
Normain Craig
Mrs. Charlton Lewis
Mr. & Mrs. Frank Wood
Rev. J. Stuart Holden

I have also read somewhere that a mother/daughter team named Wilkinson were listed on the second class roster but did not sail. What I am interested in are these individuals' stories. Does anyone have information regarding these individuals or the circumstances that led up to their cancellations. I've read the Rev. Holden cancelled because his wife fell ill, other than that I have heard very little about these people. Also, if someone could tell me exactly which Vanderbilt was supposed to have sailied on the Titanic. Was it George W., or Alfred (who I believe lost his life on the Lusitania a few years later). I hope that an interesting conversation can be started regarding this topic. I haven't posted anything in a while and it sure feels good to be back. Thanks to everyone who contributed information to my earlier posts, even if individuals like MIMI do not believe that the Mrs. White & Miss Young post that I initiated was/is relevant.

Thanks from a cloudy, dreary Alberta, Canada!

Jason

May 12, 2005
Jason,

You're right, the Vanderbilt who was supposed to be on the Titanic was Alfred Gwynne Vanderbilt, the one who died in the Lusitania disaster. And there was nothing wrong with the White/Young post - people who have closed minds and stupid prejudices may not agree w/ openly discussing some things but who cares what people like that think?

Randy

R

Rolf Vonk

Hello there,

I've heard some stories of passengers who should have been on Titanic, but for some reason weren't.
I know the stories of the Vanderbilts, Mr. Morgan and Mr. Henry Clay Frick. I've read that there were more than 50 cancellations. Is that true??
I would like to know wich people cancelled their voyage so is there some kind of list about that?

Another point is passengers who were refused for the voyage, because of illness. I know these two Belgian third class passengers: Mr. Henri van der Steen and Miss (Ms??) Emma Duyvejonck were refused to embark Titanic, because they were ill.

Is there anyone who can give me information about these points?

Greetings Rollie
happy.gif

T

Trent Pheifer

I was just reading Titanic: Triumph and Tragedy, and it had a little bit about people who cancelled their trip and why, now I know some of who cancelled, such as J.P. Morgan, Mr Vanderbuilt, Lord Pierre, etc. Were there any other famous people who cancelled and why? About how many people cancelled all together?

-Trent