Titanic passengers who cancelled voyage

Arne Mjåland

Oct 21, 2001
Have you read the "Kruse Family History".
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fkruse/testhist.htm
The story about the Kruse family started three and a half century ago at Neukirchen Mecklenburg-schwerin, Germany. It is about members of the Kruse family who emigrated to America.
In America one of the Vercruysse family from Belgium married into the Kruse family.
"The Vercruysse family were scheduled to take the Titanic, but at the last munute they canged to a different ship"
Anybody having heard this story before? Perhaps somebody from Belgium are reading this?

M

meagan mcrill garrett

i read that some of the passengers cancelled they're stay on titanic because they had really bad feelings about staying on her, some even dreamed that titanic would hit an iceburg and sink, those mysterious dreams might have just been the thing that saved they're life.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Andrew mentioned Guglielmo Marconi intending to return to Britain in Titanic. I can't say anything about that, but it is a fact that he had planned to go to the USA in her. He probably never bought a ticket, as the trip was to be a freebie. In fact, his business in the USA was so urgent that he went in Lusitania a few days ahead of Titanic. The tale is authenticated by a letter to his wife, written just after the disaster.

[Moderator's Note: Five separate threads about passengers who supposedly cancelled their plans to sail on Titanic have been combined to form this one. MAB]

D

Daz Marks

Passengers who didn't sail

I've heard from more than one family source that my Gt Gt Grandfather William Henry Hare of Bradford was due to sail on the Titanic but came down with the 'flu and cancelled his voyage.

Are there any records of cancelled passengers available that might verify the story?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Are there any records of cancelled passengers available that might verify the story?<<

If there were, they were either lost or they didn't survive. At the time, the question of who would have been on the return trip just wasn't a priority concern.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Not referring to your GG Grandfather of course Daz, but i've often been suspicious of stories running along the lines of "Such and such was going to sail on the Titanic, but..." .....no doubt many of them are true but one wonders if there might not have been a few fabrications amongst that as well, just for the sake of self-interest.

There's also the stories of passengers who cancelled due to premonitions about the fate of the ship.

Perhaps the only way to officially verify the story within your family would be if there was a way to check in the WSL archives whether a ticket was ever sold to him? But i'm unsure if or how you'd go about that.

Cheers,
Adam.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
If memory serves, the only one stop shop for records like this would be what was known as the contract ticket list. This would have been a record of the tickets which were sold as well as who they were sold to.

Since the voyage never happened, I suspect the list was used to verify bookings and either arrange rebookings on other ships or refunds to anybody who would have come to the conclusion that sailing with White Star could be hazardous to one's health. (Don't know why anybody would get that idea. Do you?)

Regarding White Star's archives, to the best of my knowladge, they no longer exist. When they finally closed up shop at their company headquarters, most of their surviving records ended up being carted off to the dump.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Michael:

Such a huge shame that so many potentially fascinating and illuminating documents from WSL were simply thrown out, and yet it is something which we see repeated throughout various facets of history.

I wonder if it would be possible to dig a little deeper, then, into the likes of accomodation or travel records once the passenger/s had arrived on land? A long shot for sure, but you never know...

Cheers,
Adam.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Such a huge shame that so many potentially fascinating and illuminating documents from WSL were simply thrown out, and yet it is something which we see repeated throughout various facets of history.<<

Aye, and that among other reasons was what was behind the founding of the Titanic societies: To preserve the historical records and the artifacts at a time when most people didn't give a toss.

>>I wonder if it would be possible to dig a little deeper, then, into the likes of accomodation or travel records once the passenger/s had arrived on land?<<

I suspect you're going to run into the same problem since a lot of the travel agents who were in business in 1912 just don't exist anymore. One might have some luck with immigration records at the port of entry but the problem here is that the authorities didn't care about what your earlier bookings were if they got switched. They only cared about the ship you actually arrived on.

Mick Molloy

Nov 29, 2002
Hi
There were two women from County Mayo in Ireland who cancelled, because ond had a rash. They were Annie Jordan and Norah Callaghan. I have the tickets numbers and the tickets were bought in Durkans Main Street Castlebar. I also have the page of Titanic's manifest with their names crossed off. The one without the rash boarded the Celtic from Queenstown the next day and arrived safely in USA. Try this link:

Michael Molloy Addergoole Titanic Society

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Michael:

Well I suppose in the 1930's when WSL folded, all that needed to be said about the Titanic had been said, and the majority of survivors were still alive. With the world staring down the barrel of World War II as well, the preservation of business documents probably wasn't seen as being particularly important. Having said that, many documents housed in London and the larger cities of England were lost during the Blitz in WWII anyway.

Dr. Crippen's house got pretty well destroyed during such a raid, IIRC, on a side note....

Cheers,
Adam.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Well I suppose in the 1930's when WSL folded, all that needed to be said about the Titanic had been said, and the majority of survivors were still alive.<<

Which was way more then White Star or Cunard/White Star wanted to have said. They tried very hard to bury the accident into the pages of history as a footnote. I suppose that was what made Walter Lord's work as important as it was. It gauranteed that it wouldn't be forgotten.

T

Trevor Emmens

There was a legend in my family that some relatives were to have emigrated on the Titanic, but that the family went down with scarlet fever and had to cancel. It is certainly true that we had relatives in Lincoln, Nebraska with whom my parents (now deceased) used to correspond over 50 years ago, and I understood that they were these emigrants or their children. However, none of the correspondence has survived and what little information I have is mostly negative.
I can't remember their name, but it wasn't Emmens.
It wasn't one of my grandfather's siblings, as they are all accounted for.
It could have been one of my grandmother's siblings - her maiden name was Wilkinson.
They lived in Manchester.
If any of my long-lost Nebraskan relatives are out there I would like to hear from them to confirm or deny the story. Otherwise, I think my only chance is to find a passenger list that has names of passengers from Manchester who cancelled or didn't turn up - if such a thing exists, then see if I can find a link to my family in birth records. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Tom Steele

Apr 3, 2013
passengers who cancelled

My grandmother and my aunt booked onto the Titanic. Her name was Elizabeth Steele (nee Vickers) and my Aunt Myrtle Steele (aged 1) bought 3rd class tickets and sent their trunk to Southampton. Before they left their home in Cumbria, they got a telegram from my grandfather who was living in Calgary Alberta. He had lost most of his money in a land swindle. He told them to not board the ship and get their belongings back from the shipping company. He could not afford to keep them in Canada. They got the trunk back. It had White Star Titanic stickers on it. They left for Canada the following year. I have the trunk in my garage.
Is there any record of cancelled passengers?

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Hallo, Tom. The only passenger records which have survived the last 100 years are those which were important at the time of the investigations following the sinking - ie the lists of those who were known to be on board. So there is no surviving record of cancelled bookings. Generally the only confirming sources for such accounts are letters and documents still within the family, and maybe newspaper accounts from 1912 - "Local family has narrow escape" etc. But as you have the physical evidence of the luggage labels you don't need any further proof?

sheron boyle

Jun 4, 2013
My grandmother was listed as Mary Martin - a cancelled pax - she was in fact Margaret Martin of Irishtown, Co Galway. We have a copy of her cancelled boarding pass. See my story about her too:

A

Alyss

Let's hear it for Hershey's! Having spent much time in England I can say that, though I love most everything about that beautiful country, the Brits are missing out when it comes to chocolate! I wonder why Hershey's doesn't sell there?

Hadnt you heard of Cadbury chocolate? Its british and its the best .

Cheers.

mmdiplomat

Aug 1, 2015
Third Class Titanic Ticketholdier Manifests / Lists (but missed ship & didn't sail)

Hi there.

I am hoping you can help me out. First, a little background info prior to my question. My late great-grandmother held a third class ticket on Titanic, and was due to sail out of Southampton bound for the US. She was a poor sixteen year old unmarried peasant girl from Hungary. She was traveling with two girlfriends, one of whom was late for their rail transfer from Hamburg, Germany to Southampton, England. This caused them to be late, and miss their voyage on Titanic (thank God or else you wouldn't be reading this). At one time a late family member claimed to have had her original ticket, but as time passed, it seems to have either been lost or discarded. It is still possible the ticket is in existence with another relative with whom I am consulting. Here is my question for you: Is there a tracking method (a list or manifest) of all third class passengers who held tickets and did not sail on Titanic, those whom never made it to the ship? (I know she definitely did not sell the ticket prior to the voyage). Please advise. I have checked out many online third class passenger manifests but all are strictly for those who boarded the ship and / or were casualties / survivors of Titanic. I am working on a genealogy and this is a crucial part of that branch of the tree. Any information would be most appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you! Thanks.

Best,
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

Watashii

Jul 27, 2015
I know that, I am not stupid...I have studied the Titanic for almost 30 years, I was just saying that many people don't bring up Milton Hershey when they discuss Titanic...I have lists of people who cancelled passage or missed the boat so to speak. SO I know where I am coming from...I was just mentioning a name that had NOT been mentioned here in the past (that I know of anyway)

Hello :)

If you have studied the Titanic for 30 years... Is it possible to get the list of all the people who bought the Ticket?
I know for a fact that Gregorio Henri Angelini missed the Titanic... As he missed it, and didn't cancel it, I was wondering on wher eI could get the record of this. He took an other boat after, and change his name for Henri Angelo.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator: