Titanic personals

S

sharon rutman

Well, my late husband Mitchel always tolerated my being a Titanic junkie with good humor--he thought I was ditzy anyhow. For my l0th anniversary present he even gave me a gold charm replica of the Titanic on a chain--I found it last year going through our stuff after his death. I took it as an omen that it was time to return to Titanic (forgive me old Rose) I still feel flabby and out of shape as I try to return after a long absence.

Nov 26, 2005
Sharon, that's really a great thing that you've decided to go back to your interest. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. And I've got something to say to whoever it was up there who said "Ship enthusiasts don't make interesting people" or whatever, well let me tell you something lol, I consider myself about as enthused about the Titanic as they can get, and I'm a very interesting person. Just ask my life partner of 6 years. He wasn't crazy about Titanic at all until I came around and ever since he's been very interested in it, and even more interested in me for feeling so passionately about something like Titanic. So if you don't find people interesting because they're longtime ship lovers, that's fine. But don't categorize all of us into this "non interesting" group. That's just rude. I'm probably going to get a lot of negative stuff back for this post, but I personally felt kind of insulted by the one post and felt like sharing my opinion. Every person is very interesting in their own way. I just happen to find more interest in someone if they're a Titanic buff!
happy.gif
Just a thought.

Matt.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>So if you don't find people interesting because they're longtime ship lovers, that's fine. But don't categorize all of us into this "non interesting" group. That's just rude. I'm probably going to get a lot of negative stuff back for this post, but I personally felt kind of insulted by the one post and felt like sharing my opinion<<

Matthew, maybe I'm missing something but which one post was that? Are you perhaps referring to what Parks Stephenson said three years ago? If so, then aside from the fact that reproaching him so long after the fact is a a bit pointless, it's well to be mindful of the fact that it's not that far of the mark. People such as us...myself included...are a rather odd lot. Nothing wrong with that either, but that's why we get those strange looks from people when were caught reading inquiry transcripts over lunch at work, pouring over blueprints, etc.

Nov 26, 2005
See? I knew there'd be someone out there that couldn't stand NOT correcting me.
happy.gif
I just love people who feel that they have nothing to do but correct everyone else.

May 1, 2010
well, my first wife (bless her heart) is a marine insurance underwriter and gets involved with all types of vessels. She and I had a huge interest in marine history but failed miserably at a relationship. I guess opposites attract, since my second wife has absolutely no interest at all in anything historical, marine history or otherwise. WE GET ALONG SPLENDIDLY, AND THEN SOME. SHE DOESN'T EVEN WANT TO KILL ME ALL THE TIME, OR ANYTHING

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I just love people who feel that they have nothing to do but correct everyone else.<<

Glad to hear that, Matthew. This is a public access forum and one of the characteristics of such is that if you say something, that makes it fair game for discussion, debate, point and counterpoint. Especially if somebody has cause or reason to believe that something you said or claimed is questionable.

Now having disposed of that, would you care to deal with the question posed to you?

Nov 26, 2005
Sorry for the way that came out. I was having a really bad yesterday and was not in the right mindset for a debate. And to be honest, I didn't even notice the date of that post. I rarely ever do notice the dates. I just see what's posted as I read through something and reply. Granted, I mistook what Parks too. I had to go back and re-read his post. I didn't even think it was Parks that said that. Anyway, all I was saying was that I disagreed with the one statement that he made. That's it. Nothing personal at all.
happy.gif
Sorry if that came out that way too. Sometimes it's hard to get the right thing said via internet. So just letting you know there's no hard feelings, and I apologize for the way that last message came out. I actually went back and tried to delete it last night but it wouldn't let me after 60 minutes. So I kinda embarassed myself. :-/ I'm good at that. So again, no hard feelings Michael and I hope all is well with you. Are you keeping up with the expedition? I haven't been back in there the last few days since everyone got mad at my speculation about the foward mast. I'm more on Dr. Ballard's emotional side about the wreck than most I guess, because I firmly believe that a lot of the damage to that mast is man made. There's a lot of truth and validity to people's statements who say that's not the case, but that's my personal belief is that the mast had "help" in some of it's damage. Yes, I've watched videos back to back seeing the slow deterioration of the mast, but i think it's between the 96 and 98 expedition or somewhere in there, that the mast looks like something landed on it and it just snapped. I DO have to agree with everyone else about the crow's nest though. It obviously rusted through. Did they ever find where it landed? You'd think it'd still be a pretty good size piece. I dunno, what do you think? Again, sorry about the misunderstanding. Hope you have a good one.

Matt.

Cara Ginter

Aug 7, 2005
Haha, unfortunately for me, my boyfriend is definately NOT into Titanic, whatsoever. In fact, he finds joy in trying to make me flustered about it. *sigh* Apparently he sees no point in dwelling on the past, especially not when so many people died...

Damon Hill

Jun 13, 2004
Going back to previous messages,I'm into Titanic, Star Wars and live theatre, so I must be really weird! Thespians alone are regarded as an entity unto their own , without Star Wars and Titanic being thrown into the mix!

D

Donna Grizzle

Actually, I think Titanic has ruined most of my relationships. It's ok though, it comes with the package. If you love me, you must love Titanic or, at the very least, respect my love for Titanic. So ok, travelling 200 miles to see a Titanic exhibit may not be his idea of a romantic weekend getaway, but it is mine! What? You don't want to get married on the Queen Mary, then take a trans-Atlantic cruise on the QM2 from New York to Southampton for our honeymoon??? Why not??? Visiting the cemeteries in Halifax is not romantic??? You're kidding me, right???

T

Trevor William Sturdy

G'Day Donna - You are about to get flooded(excuse the pun) with marriage proposals from just about every guy on this site...lol

If you're ever in Australia lets get hitched - just getting in first.

D

Donna Grizzle

well, it certainly would be nice to be able to share the love with someone, a mate especially! My friends and family can barely tolerate me as it is. I mean really, you can't talk to me without Titanic coming into the conversation somehow. Have you ever seen the Ellen Degeneres comedy special called, "The Beginning"? She does a skit in it where she talks about "zoning out" in the middle of someone else's conversation, then when she comes around she's missed the entire conversation and doesn't know what to say so she always makes a comment about Gloria Estefan. Well, that's me only with Titanic. I'll just make these random, totally unrelated comments about Titanic in the middle of a heated conversation like, "Did you know that Captain Smith of the Titanic was due to retire after Titanic's maiden, round-trip voyage?," then I'll just be met with a blank stare and asked what that fact has to do with my friend's upcoming wedding. Then, I'll have to try to work my comment into the topic like, "well, all I'm saying is don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today! Why wait a year to get married? You never know what hand you're going to get dealt next!". Sad but true.

Then, there are the instaces in which I am listening but I have to work Titanic into the conversation. For instance, a friend might say, "What do you think of pinot noirs as opposed to merlots?," and I will respond with something like, "oh, pinots are absolutely divine. Hey, did you know they found entire bottles of wine completely intact at the Titanic wreck site? The labels of course have been eaten away, but the corks are still in them with the wine still inside, amazing! Also, they found a giant jar of olives! Olives! Can you believe it?". So yeah, everyone around me has to put up with that all the time.

Trevor, I know you're joking about the marriage proposal, lol, but I really might visit Australia sometime relatively soon. I have a friend who lives over there in Towradgi, NSW. We've been friends for over ten years but I've only seen her in person once when she came to visit me a few years back. I promised one day I'd go visit her and I intend to never let go of that promise. Oh, did I mention I constantly quote the (James Cameron)film also???

Donna

"Titanic was called, 'The Ship of Dreams,' and it was. It really was".

Feb 14, 2011
"Actually, I think Titanic has ruined most of my relationships"

Ditto-Plus it's proven to be a bit of a turnoff for people I meet- they seem to see it as a dorky an interest as being a hardcore Trekkie...

One woman I dated for a short time found it a turnoff I was so interested in a topic where so many people died. So I make it a point not even to bring the subject of the Titanic up- Past girlfriends usually asked about Titanic when they saw my shelves of Titanic books and walls covered with Titanic pictures...
At the crusty old age of 39, I learned not to bring up the Titanic with a potential mate until absolutly neccesary...Otherwise I'll wind up an old he-maid.

Dating a Titanic buff would have its own set of problems- Namely competiton...

Feb 14, 2011
"they found a giant jar of olives! Olives! "

10 years ago I worked at the Titanic exhibit in Boston- and we had that very jar of olives, but the olives went bad- and went from green to furry gray by the time that exhibit closed..Even still, I was dying to find out what they tasted like...

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Even still, I was dying to find out what they tasted like...<<

If they went furry-gray, you might die when you taste them. I suppose when they were good, they tasted pretty much the same as any olive you could get at the supermarket today.

May 27, 2007
I never really had problems with relationships and Titanic. Back in the 90's my girlfriends were like "Oh you like Titanic, sweet!" I did lose some books when one of my relationships went south. Then I met my daughter's mother who had zero interest in Titanic but she respected my interests and I respected hers. We also had a lot of common interests. Of course now the point is moot because when I'm not working I'm with my daughter. I've been on a few dates but Titanic has never came up. Of course I have a ton of interests so I'm lucky I guess. So in answer to the original question, no Titanic hasn't ruined any of my relationships. My heart will go on so my answer may be subject to change.