Titanic Photographs

Jul 29, 2001
Whilst reading the contributions to a discussion on Major Archibald Butt on these pages I was wondering about photographs taken of (and aboard) the Titanic.

Is there a list anywhere of ALL the photographs taken? Has there been any published identification of the people in them and perhaps other information such as location, date (and time) taken?

I would imagine that this would be a most satisfying research topic for anyone with access to photo's and related data. So if there isn't a "photo log" anywhere, perhaps someone would enjoy starting one!

best wishes,

bob

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
Hello, Bob
There was once a "Titanic Photographic Compendium" on the internet, but it's no longer up. It also provided location and month/year taken, if not the actual date. It was quite impressive. I don't know if it will be re-installed, but I can ask the webmaster sometime...
It's not easy to start a photo log. One just can't scan pictures out of books and post them - talk about MAJOR copyright violation. Permission has to be sought to obtain copies of the pictures, as well as endless other processes, etc.
BTW, I have always felt that the picture of a man walking down the promenade deck and sometimes miscaptioned as that of being Captain Smith might actually be Archie Butt. Butt is identified in another photo in the portside background of the forward A-deck promenade with Jack Odell looking over the side. Butt is seen in the background, wearing a long dark coat and cap. The next photo shows a man walking away from the camera along the port-side promenade, wearing the same type of coat and cap.

In the meantime, here is a well put together site of some Titanic pictures:

http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/~dlaw/picpalace/

Jul 29, 2001
Dan!

Thank you for your reply. I have just now followed your link to the Titanic Picture Palace site you suggested - it is very helpful, many thanks.
Regarding your comment about the Butt/Smith pictures, have you seen the exchange of views on the "Major Butt's departure from New York" thread?
Do you know of a reference somewhere identifying Butt as the "right-hand" figure in the background group in the Odell picture you mention? Or could my speculation that he is the "centre" figure be correct? And who are the others?

best wishes,

bob

B

Bob Cruise

Dan -

If a photo has appeared in numerous books and is well over 75 years old, is there still the danger of a copyright violation?

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
Robert,
also, check out:

http://titanicmodel.com/photoarchive/olympic/page1.shtml

http://titanicmodel.com/photoarchive/olympic/page2.shtml

They are of Titanic's sister ship Olympic, but interesting just the same.

Bob, I would imagine it all rests on which ones are owned by whom and how long copyrights are renewed. I know very little about the copyright laws and how they apply. I just use common sense when it comes to the matter.
If I remember, there are few pictures, if any, of Titanic that are considered public domain. Permission ALWAYS has to be sought in order to lawfully duplicate or use any picture unless you took it yourself...
Someone else who knows about copyright will have to chime in to be able to answer your question with clarity and certainty. I don't know the first thing about it.

Kate Bortner

May 17, 2001
ooops, i for got to use a real smiley face!
smile.gif
(almost forgot the cool thing YOU taught me how to use!!)

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
Diane, and all,
the link that I posted for checking out was out for a few days but appears to be fine, now
happy.gif

Somebody call Diane back from the forbidden zone and tell her lunch is ready!

Diane Ostrow

May 19, 2001
Kate~
You know me too well! I'm always in trouble!
eh.gif

Dan~
Thanks so much for letting me know what was going on with the site! It IS up and running and it's great! I'll be there for lunch~Lamb with very little mint sauce, please! Just promise I wont have to scrunch myself into that blasted corset again!
mad.gif

Ahoy!
Diane