Titanic Photos credits looking for owners

M

Mark Kozak-Holland

I'm looking for the owners of the following original Titanic photos so I can request permission for reproduction. Unfortunately I cannot post these:
1. Olympic's bow after the collision with Hawke; one taken with a rowing boat underneath the hole, a second taken with a man leaning against the opening; a third taken with the full side of the ship
2. Electric water-tight door closed
3. Titanic undergoing sea trials
4. Titanic's near miss with New York. I have several pictures taken from a number of angles.

Thank you
Regards
Mark

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
Mark,
The pictures of the near collision with the New York taken from Titanic were by Father Francis M. Brown, S.J.

I don't know the others, though. Sorry.

Josh.

Cal Haines

Dec 2, 2000
Tucson, AZ USA
Mark wrote:
I'm looking for the owners of the following original Titanic photos so I can request permission for reproduction. Unfortunately I cannot post these:
1. Olympic's bow after the collision with Hawke; one taken with a rowing boat underneath the hole, a second taken with a man leaning against the opening; a third taken with the full side of the ship
2. Electric water-tight door closed
3. Titanic undergoing sea trials
4. Titanic's near miss with New York. I have several pictures taken from a number of angles.

Most of the photos of Titanic under construction were taken by Robert J. Welch, a Belfast photographer who had the contract to take photos at Harland & Wolff. All of the Welch photos that survive are in the collection of The Ulster Folk and Transport Museum (UFTM). They also hold a number of photos by William A. Green. The Courtney photos of Titanic at Southampton, are also part of their collection.

1. The photo of the hole in Olympic's bow with the worker is probably Welch photo H1622. UFTM has 26 Welch photos of the Hawke damage. I'm not sure who took the other photos of the damage. They were probably taken at Southampton.

2. The closed watertight door photo that is seen on so many documentaries is probably a Welch photo as well, but it does not appear on the list of photos at UFTM. I have an inquiry in to them to see if they can find the photo. It was published in the Special Number edition of The Shipbuilder. The photo credits for Titanic--An Illustrated History list it as "Ken Marschall Collection". I'm trying to follow up on that as well. The photo may be out of copyright by now, depending on whether or not The Shipbuilder filed and renewed it's copyright.

3. The photos of Titanic the day of her trials were taken by Welch: H1721, H1722 & H1723.

4. Father Browne took one photo of Titanic's the near miss with New York from shipboard. Another photo, taken from the dock, is credited as "Brown Brothers". I don't know how to get in touch with the owner for the latter.

Here are links to UFTM and the Browne photos:

The Ulster Folk and Transport Museum Photographic Archive
http://www.nidex.com/uftm/titanic/archive.htm

Prints of the photographs cost £5.75 (about $8 last time I checked) per print plus shipping. The fee to publish copies of the photographs is £50 to £100, depending on the media. I takes a couple of weeks for photographs to arrive in the US (the Royal Mail ain't what it used to be). Kenneth Anderson at UFTM has been very helpful with everything related to the photographs.

The Father Browne Photographic Collection
http://www.fatherbrowne.com/index.htm

Prints cost $50 to $65, depending on size. I don't know about the fees to reproduce them.

Cal

M

Mark Kozak-Holland

I would just like to thank all of you who have responded.
Regards
Mark