Titanic Pictures Copyright Question

Apr 20, 2004
I want to put up a couple of Photographs of Titanic on a website, but I've no idea how to find out who owns the copyright of them. What the pictures show aren't that important - just a couple of general pictures of Titanic's exterior would do, So I wondered, are there any such pictures that one can freely use - ie that are in the public domain; or does anyone know of some pictures that one can use with permission from the copyright holder? I'd need to know the copyright holder.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards
Jason

Apr 11, 2001
http://www.copyright.gov/ is the best site to answer your questions. Click on "Copyright basics" which will answer a lot. It's never good to just assume that a photo or image is copyright -free. Even if the photographer is dead, heirs, estates or institutions sometimes own the rights to material, such as in the case of Corbis, the Library of Congress or something like the Elvis Presley estate which grants licenses to use material and will prosecute for infringements. Recently I had to pay a one-time fee to the Boston Public Library for one use of a copy of Frank Millet's fabulous oil portrait of Kate Field, the original is on the third floor and is owned by the library. There is also a difference between printed and internet usage. Be sure to ask , and be specific just how and where you plan to use the image or data. Sometimes internet use is forbidden. Fees are sometimes waved for non-profit , educational publications. Often it is just a matter of the copyright owner wanting to control the quality of the published image, and sometimes it is just plain monetary!

Apr 20, 2004
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't going to assume anything, but I wondered if there were some photos of Titanic that were known to be copyright free, that one can freely use? Often, a Titanic photo is credited simply as "Private collection" which is not much help.