Titanic Planking Cross Sections

Kevin Keating

Apr 1, 2007
Hello all,

I was wondering where I might be able to find a copy of Titanic's planking cross section (I believe that is the term, it's the most descriptive way I can describe them.) I know they're found on the Hahn plans but I'm afraid I'm not ready to shell out that much yet.
sad.gif

An example of what I'm talking about is here:
http://www.titanic-plan.com/pl4.JPG

It's the two rows of images at the bottom that detail the cross section of Titanic's hull and the curvature inwards and outwards that defined her shape.

Let me know if there's a higher-resolution version of this somewhere.

Thanks!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I know they're found on the Hahn plans but I'm afraid I'm not ready to shell out that much yet.<<

I don't know that you'd do better anywhere else. Harland & Wolff no longer offers to make copies of any of the plans and when they did, each copy cost a bomb!

Dieter Klimow

Sep 24, 2006
The book 'RMS Titanic - A Modelmaker's Manual' by Peter Davies-Garner (ISBN 1-86176-227-5) has the so called 'lines' plan of the Titanic, spanning four pages. It is not a photography of the original plan, but a very accurate reproduction.
The cross sections are drawn on top of each other, not separate as in the two bottom rows in the picture you have posted.
When I visited the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum near Belfast in April 2007, they had one of the original 'lines' plans on display, and this one had also the cross sections drawn on top of each other. Unfortunately the plan was furled up at both ends, so it was only possible to see a small fraction near the center (I think the full plan is about 18ft long).