Titanic Prequel yes or no

• Thread starter Kenneth Lee Ormerod
  • Start date
K

Kenneth Lee Ormerod

I have heard that there is a 45min prequal to Titanic out in the states, By Cameron and is taking the states by storm but I can not find anything about it being released on the net. I do not know anyone in the states to ask as most of the people I know are Ozzies.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Kenneth, you're maybe thinking of 'Ghosts of the Abyss'. Check out the threads in this section. If so, you can see it at the London IMAX theatre or the Science Museum.

S

sharon rutman

Prequel idea--how did Rose and her Mom find themselves in such dire straits? How did Rose's father squander their fortune? How does Rose meet Cal? Why was Rose, Cal, and Mom in England in the first place?

Sequel idea--Rose finds herself pregnant with Jack's baby!!!

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
quote:

Sequel idea--Rose finds herself pregnant with Jack's baby!!!
And the baby's daughter turns out to be Lizzie, who goes looking long and hard and finds information about Jack Dawson, from multiple locations in and around the Chipewa Falls area.

Yes this is possible: for example, how many Titanic historians ever knew about Arthur Peuchen's Oldman River (Alberta) Dam Project before May 16, 2005? That data was located in the Alberta Provincial Archives, in Edmonton.

The only problem with the prequels is that one knows pretty much what will happen, unless characters are introduced that one does not remember seeing later on, such as the characters of Rachel Dawes and Lucius Fox in "Batman Begins".

Perhaps it would be interesting to see what Rose's father was like, or if Cal was transformed into the nasty character he was, as we never heard anything about his parents and what they were like.​

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Kenneth is possibly right. Not being a total geek, I don't know the jargon, but there is quite a number of amateur films or DVDs that draw on existing movies. They take characters and situations to make new stories, with a fine disregard of copyright. The 45 minute length sounds about right. They can often be obtained from the internet.

Some film makers seem to tolerate these efforts, provided they don't get too commercial. Perhaps they think any publicity is good publicity.

Sharon, I've already got a sequel in which Jack's baby, named Renault, grows up and goes to England. He intends to murder Bruce Ismay for causing his father's death. He finds the old and sick Ismay feeding the ducks at the village pond. He draws his Colt 45. Will he, or won't he?

Conscience overwhelms him. He shoots a duck. Renault and Ismay make peace over a roast duck. An angel choir sings, "Food, Glorious food!"

Why aren't I in movies?

S

sharon rutman

Some more sequel thoughts--Rose has Jack's baby, but is decides to give it up for adoption or risk losing out on her acting career. Unwed parenthood was frowned down in the early 20th century. Considering she dreamed of leading such an adventurous life (just check out all the photos of her doing daring deeds on the nightstand), isn't it strange that she marries this guy Calvert, settles into an ordinary, hum-drum existence in Cedar Rapids, has two kids and that's all folks. Also, where does she stash the diamond for nearly 80 years.

Apr 11, 2001
And what happens to Old Rose after tossing the diamond overboard and drifting off to heavenly reward aboard the expedition boat? Who got custody of the famous portrait au natural? Is she cremated and ashes scattered over the wrecksite?
I actually did think the blonde granddaughter was Jack's at the film's start. It might have been a possibility. Reams of footage potential for a prequel and a sequel.

S

sharon rutman

Hey--Maybe Old Rose meets fellow Titanic survivor, Old Annette in the sequel at some point and you can see them swapping stories. As young women, they were from very similar worlds--cloistered, sheltered first class ladies-- Annette, the daughter of a social climbing father who wanted to marry her off to some rich, titled European and Rose, the daughter of a widowed social climbing mother who wanted keep her status intact by marrying off her daughter to some rich, American aristocrat. Initially, both s disdain these lower class type guys they meet by chance, but they manage to break through their icy personas.However, Annette's shipboard romance is a bit more successful than Rose (despite her father's disdain for that "lumber salesman")--she and Giff eventually marry to produce a child named either Norman or Norma. That was the whole idea of having Giff survive the Titanic whereas Jack did not. Giff and Annette were fated to be mated whereas Jack and Rose were as ill fated as the Titanic.

At the risk of going off track, did anyone else hear that the Queen Mary 2 is having one lousy voyage. Once again the biggest ship in the world is plagued with problems. Some things never change!!!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>At the risk of going off track, did anyone else hear that the Queen Mary 2 is having one lousy voyage. Once again the biggest ship in the world is plagued with problems. Some things never change!!!<<

Yes. Apparantly, they managed to damage one of the Azipod propulsion units when putting out to sea from Fort Lauderdale. They voyage continues but three ports of call have been dropped from the itinerary. The passengers are not happy.

S

sharon rutman

Thanks for clearing that up. I only saw one soundbyte on the news one postage stamp sized article in the newspaper stuffed in the back.

M

michelle rowlett

Hi i heard on tv early this morning that the passengers are to have their money refunded by Cunard for all the inconvenience caused to them during their trip on Queen Mary 2!!!

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
I called Cunard today, and was told that the upcoming Mexican Riviera and Royal Hawaii trips are priorities.
The ship will have abbreviated stops in Montevideo (Uruguay) and Acapulco, for the remainder of the "Path of Magellan" trek.

Updated Queen Mary 2 information will be available about this time next week.

S

sharon rutman

I know this isn't funny, but here we are in a brand new century and once again the world's largest liner is having problems. Imagine blowing a huge wad of cash on a once in a lifetime cruise, and you wind up being a very unhappy camper. The irony is unreal

S

sharon rutman

Drat!! I knew something was missing from this picture. Curses foiled again.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Curses foiled again.<<

Look on the bright side, at least you don't have to worry about finding a boat. Now finding the purser could be something of a trick. He's probably gone to ground in the wake of this fiasco! (And who could blame him?)
wink.gif

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
If they need to find a replacement purser, I can think of two gentlemen from this list. The only issue is is whether they wish to be away from Boston or Toronto for extended periods of time.

Re: ....at least you don't have to worry about finding a boat. Now finding the purser could be something of a trick.
The other thing is is to make sure you have plent of your destination country's postage stamps BEFORE you board the ship, or prepare your postcards and letters during the voyage then mail them after you disembark.
In April 2004 they ran out of postcard stamps ($0.23 for US mailings) during the voyage, so the only thing available was First Class U.S. postage stamps ($0.37).
For the upcoming Hawaii Excursion, it won't be a problem as I plan to bring lots of stamps on board, both for US Postcard and 1st Class Mailing Rates (with lots of $0.01 and $0.02 stamps to reflect the recent postage rate increase here in the US). I am not sure the Purser staff will allow one to simply pay the applicable postage rates and have the ship apply postage; yes, I can eventually see Cunard installing self-service postal meters on board, too.

Also, it was quite hectic exchanging money during the Southampton to New York crossing, as the Purser's staff was "doing double duty", handling passenger inquiries/complaints and currency exchange and postage transactions at the same time. Again, currency exchange won't be a problem for the Hawaii Excursion, but I think it will be best to limit my dealings with the Purser's Staff to that of registering one of my credit cards for the shipboard charges.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
Now the question is "Have we gone 'off the topic' enough"?? Yes, I admit my share of responsibility.

Perhaps if we can now think of a "Time Tunnel"-type episode, where Jack & Rose, and perhaps Cal & Ruth, are propelled forward in time, and end up on the Queen Mary 2. "After the shock of time-travel realization is over", we can think of some interesting plot ideas, even include ourselves in the stories.

First off will be a script line featuring a dashing young 29-year old from Toronto portraying the 1st Officer, and a "well versed" Aussie Gal from Sydney portraying the Purser (with options for them to exchange parts).
Of course, if a murder mystery is suggested, both characters will definitely have in mind who will be portrayed as "the victim".
wink.gif