Titanic proceeding to Halifax

May 3, 2005
That paper is not original 1912. Aside from the printing quality the image shown is of Olympic in New York in the early 1920s.
Ioannis Georgiou-
Do you have any information on the photo ?
The date ?
Where in New York ?
Seems definite that is of the Olympic and maybe some time after 1912 in New York.
I would guess that it is at least Post-WWI or early 1920's as mentioned ?
But that's just a guess at best !

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Ioannis Georgiou-
Do you have any information on the photo ?
The date ?
Where in New York ?
Seems definite that is of the Olympic and maybe some time after 1912 in New York.
I would guess that it is at least Post-WWI or early 1920's as mentioned ?
But that's just a guess at best !
Nothing definitive. If I see it right this might be part of a series of photographs taken of her leaving Pier 59 New York about 1922.
Even the quality from the image I have posted is poor, it is noticeable that the sheer line was is now about D Deck level confirming that date.

May 3, 2005
Nothing definitive. If I see it right this might be part of a series of photographs taken of her leaving Pier 59 New York about 1922.
Even the quality from the image I have posted is poor, it is noticeable that the sheer line was is now about D Deck level confirming that date.
Thanks again Ioannis Georgiou-
I would have guessed the date was sometime around 1922 at a pier in New York.
And the "give away" for me was the women's clothing - especially those "cloche hats" of the 1920's.
As for the men's hats - I have seen some pictures made at the Texas Centennial Exposition in Dallas in 1936 and men were wearing those kind of straw hats in 1936. It was an especially hot summer that year in Dallas. LOL. The exposition ran from April to November 1936.

Which still brings up the question about the front page with the pasted on it photo ?
Who did it, what, when, where and why did they do this ?
Surely they would have been sharp enough to detect this wasn't the Titanic in 1912 ?

Last edited:
A

Aaron_2016

Correction to the above. :
The photo itself is not a fake in itelf of course.
It is obviously a genuine photo made of the Olympic some time in the 1920's.
But pasting the photo on the front page of an old newspaper and trying to pass it off as of the Titanic in 1912 is a fake.........???

Still........The Question is.......Why ?

My spouse says I read too much Sherlock Holmes. LOL
But, as Holmes would say about this, "Watson, This is most curious. But as to the fake........Elementary , my dear Watson !"........ LOL

Could be someone just wanted to increase the value and placed a photo that they believed was the Titanic onto the newspaper with the hopes that it would attract more bidders? Perhaps a Titanic enthusiast from the 1960's had found their grandfather's old tin box with press cuttings and pictures of the Olympic and decided to jazz up the newspaper with the photo with no other motive than a fun hobby?

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
If I see it right this might be part of a series of photographs taken of her leaving Pier 59 New York about 1922.
But where are the piers and structures that would distinctly identify this location as Pier 59? I can't figure out where at New York the ship would be that close and perpendicular to land without those structures and with people on the shore.

Crowds cheering and waving from the White Star pier to the ship as it... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

May 3, 2005
Could be someone just wanted to increase the value and placed a photo that they believed was the Titanic onto the newspaper with the hopes that it would attract more bidders? Perhaps a Titanic enthusiast from the 1960's had found their grandfather's old tin box with press cuttings and pictures of the Olympic and decided to jazz up the newspaper with the photo with no other motive than a fun hobby?

This might sound like a weird idea (but that would be sbout normal for me, as my wife and daughters sometimes refer to me.....LOL):

But maybe this was a Titanic enthusiast who had a group of some friends or relatives of the same like, so he put the picture on the old paper , and maybe he had some paper and a copier to make it look like an old paper.
Then he showed it to his friends and asked them if they could tell him if every thing on the paper was authentic but if they found any errors to tell him what they were. Just an idea.
I don't think a true Titanic enthusiast would try this.
If he did, I think a serious Titanic collector would spot the error fairly easy in that the picture was not of the Titanic and in the wrong place at the wrong time. Again , just IMHO.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
...And she's got the U. S. Mail flag (the flag with the inverted U.S.M. on it) hanging near her forward mast indicating she's bringing mail to Britain.

1922_1.jpg

us_usps1.gif

A

Aaron_2016

Is it possible the photo was taken at Southampton? I seen a photo in "Titanic Voices" that shows passengers watching Olympic arrive at Southampton from a similar high vantage point....
I believe it is New York. A similar vantage point can be seen in this 1929 video of the Leviathan's departure.

May 3, 2005
We have some sharp-eyed persons on this forum !
Notice that Mrs. Johnson in the 1929 Leviathan photo is wearing one of those "cloche hats."

I believe my Grandmother and Aunt sailed to or from England and America on the Leviathan in 1926.

My Uncle sailed on the retutn trip from England to America on the Queen Mary in 1936.
He had saved a set of deck plans showing his cabin on "D" Deck.
There is a note that Queen Mary "rolled over" during part of the voyage.
This must have been one of those terrible rolls that the Queen Mary had in those days.

The family had emigrated from Tunbridge Wells, Kent County, in England to Belton , Bell County , Texas , in America in 1885 on a "Dutch Ship named the Edam."
They were visiting family members stil living in Tunbridge Wells , England in 1926 and 1936.

We have some of those old letters and papers from a file of family history where this information was found.

Last edited:

Kas01

May 24, 2018
There is a note that Queen Mary "rolled over" during part of the voyage.
This must have been one of those terrible rolls that the Queen Mary had in those days.
If it helps, in the novel The Poseidon Adventure, the Poseidon is very clearly based on RMS Queen Mary. Gallico describes it as a "quadruple screw ocean liner of 81,000 tons...riding high in the water, improperly ballasted and technically unseaworthy."

I can't tell you, much less off the top of my head, what the Queen Mary's righting arm or moment was, and for that matter, I can't figure it out either because I'm not a naval architect. But what I do know is that outside of the cruiser stern, Queen Mary was heavily criticized for resembling an enlarged Aquitania and probably had the same characteristics in a seaway (i.e. a "corkscrew" motion through heavy seas, rather than the up-and-down motion of the Olympic class).

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
I believe it is New York. A similar vantage point can be seen in this 1929 video of the Leviathan's departure..
In 1929, though, Leviathan docked at West 46th Street, outside the Chelsea Piers with their distinctive pier structures. And in the video, the ship is moving parallel to where the spectators are, not head-on toward them. I still don't know where at New York Olympic would be heading toward ground level spectators, head-on, with no pier structures in sight.

May 3, 2005
If it helps, in the novel The Poseidon Adventure, the Poseidon is very clearly based on RMS Queen Mary. Gallico describes it as a "quadruple screw ocean liner of 81,000 tons...riding high in the water, improperly ballasted and technically unseaworthy."

I can't tell you, much less off the top of my head, what the Queen Mary's righting arm or moment was, and for that matter, I can't figure it out either because I'm not a naval architect. But what I do know is that outside of the cruiser stern, Queen Mary was heavily criticized for resembling an enlarged Aquitania and probably had the same characteristics in a seaway (i.e. a "corkscrew" motion through heavy seas, rather than the up-and-down motion of the Olympic class).
The 1972 movie "The Poseidon Adventure" was largely filmed aboard the Hotel Queen Mary.
Incidentaĺly , the stabilizers on the Queen Mary were not added until a 1957-1958 refit.
Were there any reports of those heavy rolls during its service as a troop ship during WWII ?

Last edited:
May 3, 2005
In 1929, though, Leviathan docked at West 46th Street, outside the Chelsea Piers with their distinctive pier structures. And in the video, the ship is moving parallel to where the spectators are, not head-on toward them. I still don't know where at New York Olympic would be heading toward ground level spectators, head-on, with no pier structures in sight.
Could that photo of the Olympic , which was pasted on the fake newspaper as the Titanic, be also a fake composite of a photo of the Olympic and a photo of a crowd scene ?
Perhaps some of the more experienced and expert mariners might have some comments.
It does look a bit odd to me , though .
Angle and closeness in relation to the crowd, etc. ?
Looks like it is headed for that crowd and is going to bump into them ? LOL

Another of my "IMHO Guesses" (LOL):
As an amateur photographer, I have had a little experience in such things.
Here is how that photo was made.:
(1) Take a picture of the Olympic
(2) Take a picture of a crowd scene
(3) Careful cut the outline of the crowd scene
(4) Paste it at the bottom of the picture of the Olympic
(5) Then copy the whole thing so it looks like one picture

The video of the Leviathan looks believeable enough to me, but the photo of the Olympic looks questionable to me.
What do we have here ?
A fake photo (equivalent to "photoshopped" ? ) in addition to it being a fake purported to be the Titanic in 1912 , etc. ?

Admittedly, I have gotten a bit off-topic as far as the photo is concerned.

But two things are certain about the photo :
(1) It's definitely not the Titanic.
(2) It's definitely not in 1912.

Last edited:

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
If the Photo was taken in New York (which is was with the ferry, mail flag etc) then this photo was probably taken from the upper floor of Pier 59 and then taken on top of a crate, ladder or even from a lamppost that's not seen on these plans.
Titanic Pier 59 Plans copy.gif

Reactions: Ioannis Georgiou

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
If it helps, in the novel The Poseidon Adventure, the Poseidon is very clearly based on RMS Queen Mary.
Completely off topic but in that film they make a big thing about heading aft towards the engine room and then around the shaft exits because of the thickness of the steel hull in this area. In actual fact, all they had to do was locate the strainer boxes in the engine room, take the lids off, remove the strainers and climb right out of the hole.

On the type of ships I served on (RN Frigates plus others) the strainers were about 12 inches by 12 inches. On the Queen Mary they would have been huge. Even Mrs Rosen would have been able to squeeze through them.

Anyway, back to topic. ;)

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Nothing wrong with the Olympic photo, it was not Photoshopped or faked.
The Olympic is in the distance. A photograph from the lower level would have looked like this from 1920.
30226628_1848567975161519_7876732427568152576_n.jpg

May 3, 2005
Thanks again Ioannis Georgiou-
That makes it clear now !
But it is still the Olympic and not the Titanic and it is 1920 and not 1912. LOL