Titanic Purser's office location

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>This is the U.S. and I will speak my mind.<<

Uh huh...and this is a British website. Further, it's a forum with some very specfic rules and you would be wise to click on This Hotlink and read them as you made a legally binding agreement to abide by them when you signed on. It would also be well for you to remember that your freedom to speak your mind...within the rules...does not make yoiu immune to rebuttal or counter-arguements. We all take that same chance.

Now regarding the books you mentioned, I happen to be reasonably familier with them and own a lot of them and some additional tomes you haven't even mentioned. That doesn't mean they're inspired inerrant. Far from it, it's just about impossible to write even the best of them without making mistakes, especially when the primary source material they draw on can be demonstrated to be in error.

This is known as the GIGO factor. (Garbage in, garbage out.)

Having said that much, primary sources such as individual testimony given to official inquiries and courts of law, insurance records, logs, manifests, trade journals and the like offer you your best hope of getting information that's close to the actual reality. This is why you were asked about that.

We're not trying to intimidate you or put you on the spot. It's not outside the realm of possibilty that there's something...perhaps a lot of somethings...to what you say. However, we would like to see it from the original source itself.

louie salmon

May 10, 2003
Mr. Standert, I indeed acknowledge your insight based on the fact that well,my own fascination as to the events of her sinking. It is both intriguing, but very sexy. I grew up on many a Titanic movie being born in 69. Saddened for some unkown reason as to her demise, wishing in fact, that if I were on board at the time( H.G. Wells intrigues me)Would I say something and come come across as a total idiot..The what if's plague me and if I were on board at the time knowing what I know now, would I try to steer her destiny in another direction or would I let her sink, than could I have changed her demise. I am a romantic and I hate climatic events that contradict popular thought.

Jan 28, 2003
Joshua,
I tried to reply to your email, but you do not accept private messages apparently. If you want my reply, please email me again giving me your address.

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
People,
Let us get on with this message board (I have already tried to above)! If we really want to argue with Mr. Tift, then start a thread...
Otherwise, let us get on to what we were talking about, we're all adults here (Most anyway).
P.S. Michael, I didn't know this was a British registered board...learning something knew everyday!
So, If you all agree, let's bring on the Purser's Office!
Thanks...
All Ahead Full!
Shane N. Worthy

Jun 12, 2004
Shane,

I agree, too. I was only giving the young man some helpful advice, then he jumped on me. I posted a question about First-Clas purser's office above in order to get on with it. I'll post it again here as a quick reference:

"One question that I have is: Has anyone attempted to access the purser's office on C-Deck? It would seem that since that part of the ship is still intact, the safes should be there. Considering that the office lies along the starboard hull just off the grand staircase, the office should be easy to access, although I remember reading that C-Deck in general is a bit compressed. One would figure that office to have been one of the first places explored and its contents retrieved."

It seems that most people have become more drawn to the 'Joshua' issue than the question of the pursers' offices and safes. I understand that the moderators have to maintain order, but he is gone. May I suggest that we carry on?...

Jan 28, 2003
"It seems that most people have become more drawn to the 'Joshua' issue than the question of the pursers' offices and safes. I understand that the moderators have to maintain order, but he is gone. May I suggest that we carry on?..."

Joshua is gone? I have no knowledge of that, which would be a matter for the administration team and, so far as I know, no such decision has been made at all. Please do not anticipate any such action.

Jun 12, 2004
I anticipated this because he sent me a rather vile email telling me that he was going to leave. He hasn't responded in a while, so I presumed he meant what he said in the email. Whether he actual has yet is really unknown. His profile is there but severely edited, either by his own doing or that of a moderator's. I do not mean to 'step on the feet' of the moderator's; I was merely making an observation based on information that I have thus far.

By the way, Monica, I hope you're not still angry with me for the incident involving Inger a little while back. That was my fault, and I apologized. I hope you do not hold any ill feelings toward me regarding that.

In any case, I want to put this issue behind me and move on...

Were any of the first-class safes ever found? If so, were they opened and searched? I am curious about that. I know Shane said that none of them have been recovered, but I took this to mean raised. What is the status of the first-class safes, and their contents, at this point?...

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Regarding the recovered purser's office:
"On the starboard side, we looked at what were once the Purser’s and Enquiry offices from outside in the foyer. There are a few remnants of the heavy oak architrave above and what look to be collapsed marble countertops. Beyond, in the tangle of debris, are two large, very solid-looking metal boxes or cabinets, the one at the forward end of the room almost reaching the overhead. I’m assuming these are the safes. Little else was recognized. It’s the usual tangle of wires and heaps of debris in there, and Cameron did not risk entry. I saw no sign of the ornate gilt-bronze queue dividers, which were once in front of the Enquiry Office. Where they would be are just rolling mounds of debris, several feet deep."
Marschall, Ken (2001)James Cameron’s Titanic Expedition 2001:
What We Saw On and Inside the Wreck. Retrieved October 28, 2004 at the website: http://marconigraph.com/

There...I know that was deleted before...but I hope it's not infringing any copyrights since I have properly cited it...

Thanks all!
All Ahead Full!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>but I hope it's not infringing any copyrights since I have properly cited it... <<

Looks rightous in the eyes of Fair Use to me. I have no quibbles with it.

Assuming the safes are still in there, it looks to me like any sort of probe in there would be a risky undertaking. Can't say as I blame James Cameron for not wanting to take the gamble.

Jun 12, 2004
Thanks, Shane. I figured that the reasons were probably due to the compressed state of C-Deck. At least they have an idea where the safes are. I can understand their apprehension. It would be a curious thing to see any future method devised to retrieve them, if anyone ever decides to do so. I suggestion extreme caution.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I suggestion extreme caution.<<

LOL!!!! There's the understatement of the age!

I don't think you'll see any serious attempt at recovery unless somebody can figure out how to get a small machine in there that has a *massive* amount of muscle. The one "metal cabinet" described above was as a large floor to ceiling high beast and if that is the safe, my bet is that it would way close to a ton and a half if not more.

Jun 12, 2004
>>Funnily enough, there hasn't been much description of the condition of C-deck during the various expeditions....<<

Possibly because no one has ventured onto C-Deck to ascertain further description. If it's as compressed as I've read, that's your description right there. It's a matter of using one's imagination, hehe.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I don't know how badly "compressed" this area could be as the Purser's office is located on the starboard side just aft of the number 1 bioler casing. It's also an area loaded with passneger cabins and I've little real doubt that it's a witches brew of tangled wreckage. While the shell of the hull is largely intact, that can't speak the possibility of decks that are sagging and ready to cave in after 92 years. You could probably get a small ROV in there like Jake and Elwood, but it would be a dicey operation. I wouldn't want to chance it unless I had something small, cheap and very expendable to do the job as I might not get it back.

Heather Lee

Oct 14, 2018
If the third class passengers did not have their own purser, would they use the second class purser's office for their valuables?