Titanic related places to visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trent Pheifer

I was wondering, if any one could help me on places to visit Titanic Relate, I have many places in Halifax, Southhampton, and New York, i have very few other places. I think I have all the Titanic memorials. I want to make a site of Titanic places to visit and the story behind them. If anyone could help I would greatly apperciate it.

Thank,
Trent

J

julia feldmann

There are a lot of places connected to the Titanic in (Northern) Ireland. For example Harland and Wolff, the shipyard where Titanic was built,
the Titanic memorial in Belfast and the house where Thomas Andrews, Titanic´s builder lived in.
Of course, there´s also Queenstown (today: Cobh) where Titanic stopped before she started her journey across the Atlantic.

Bye,
Julia Feldmann

S

Stacie Crowther

I sure would love to see some Titanic-related places here in Los Angeles, California area. Does anyone know of any out here?

Dec 12, 1999
The Clarke home in west-central L.A. still exists, and I think the Pasadena home of the Douglas family exists. Check with Mike Herbold, a member who lives in the L.A. area. George Brereton's home in East L.A. is still there. The San Francisco area has a number of Titanic-related sites that are shown at:

http://communities.msn.com/jshomispictures

M

Marilyn Burgess

Hi all:

If you get a chance, you should visit Halifax, site of the cemetery.

There are also a lot of other related sites there also.

Their museum contains the original log of the wireless operator who was in contact with the Titanic.

Marilyn

May 8, 2001
OH I AM SO GLAD to find this particular thread!!! I too would love to see some Titanic related places in Southern California, and try to connect things together. I thought I was just strange. I have gotten a few very kind emails from Mike Herbold and he is the man with allot of knowledge there. One day I would love to meet all of you on the Queen Mary, which is my favorite although quite small connection to the Titanic. For what it is worth in case no one else has made the same connection, The captain of The Queen Mary from February 25, 1942 until August 10 1942 was Commodore Sir James Bisset. (Junior officer of the Carpathia).
For anyone who may visit Virginia City Nevada, be sure to take note of the Mackay mansion. He made his fortune there in the famous Comstock load and later went into a partnership with a man named Bennett, and their cable company named one of their ships the "Mackay-Bennett". Since silver was mined out of there and Bodie California to the mint in Carson City, in a far stretch I guess you could say even a Morgan Silver dollar with a Carson City mint is connected. I am trying to Connect Bodie closer than that and since it is a stones throw from San Francisco so to speak, I may just find something.
Anyone else out there with anything, PLEASE post it. I do allot of traveling and it brightens the trip to find a connection in an unknown city. Thanks!!! Colleen

Dec 12, 1999
Thanks for that, Colleen. I had no idea of anything about MacKay. Several major San Franciscans got rich with the Comstock silver load, too, including James Flood. Here's a picture of the James Flood mansion, which still exists, at California and Mason streets in San Francisco.
6926.jpg

May 8, 2001
WOW. Now that is what I call a M.A.N.S.I.O.N.!! I could sit and look at that all day.
The Mackay mansion has a chandelier made out of the silver they mined there and it is absolutely breathtaking. I now understand why the Morgan silver dollars minted in Carson are so sought after (besides the obvious rarity). It is the particular color. Different then any other dollar minted, and it is blatent in this silver chandelier.
The current caretakers at the mansion didn't even put 2 and 2 together and connect it to the Titanic, so they were surprised when I told them.
I am new to the computer world, but I will figure out somehow how to attach a video jpg since I do have video footage of it.
Thanks again for sharing the photo. I enjoy ALL history and California is just an added bonus beings I can usually drive there and see it in person. Sincerely. Colleen

Jul 11, 2001
When in New York, be sure to stop by Macy's Dept store and see the memorial that the employees erected at the 34th street entrance.

And if in Springfield, Massachusetts, ask for directions at the THS society for the memorial of Milton Clyde Long.

If in Hartford, Connecticut, ask me to show you the memorials for J.P.Morgan, Lawrence Beckwith and Susan Webber. New England is full of Titanic related sites.

D

Deleted member 173198

Trent!

If you want any help with your enquiries about the various Titanic Memorials either here in Southampton, or anywhere else in Britain, or world-wide, then I would suggest you make contact with Brian Ticehurst of the British Titainc Society.

There are two titles he has manged to get published, both are continiously being update, and what's more, both in my mind's eye come highly recommendable:-

Titanic's Memorials, World-wide, Where they are Located.

Titanic Victims Discovered in the Old Cemetery-the Common Southampton.

Sorry if my posting has come a bit later then normal, but I hope, this does help your cause in the long while.

Andrew W.

Aug 29, 2000
Another few for the record. Emma-do you live in New London? The top one is New York- Central Park, then Macy's Herald Square, Manhattan.
11507.jpg

11508.jpg

Jul 22, 2001
kent uk
Hi Shelley

I am so sorry i didn't see your post to me! Thank you for the photos they are really nice. I am not in New London but I hope to visit one day!
Em

K

Karin Kasper

In New York City, at South Street Seaport, there is the Titanic Memorial Lighthouse (at the corner of Water and Fulton Streets). A few steps away (towards the left and back) is a cute little art gallery that has been named for Walter Lord.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
In New York City, one should also visit Battery Park. There, not far from the pier where the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island ferry departs, is a Memorial to Wireless Operators Lost At Sea.
The second name listed is "Jack Phillips, Titanic"

T

Trent Pheifer

Wow, I had forgotten I posted this lol. I have been to most of the places in NYC that are Titanic related, that are safe to go by yourself lol. Shelley, I should have asked you where to find the Stead Memorial in Central Park. After you told me about it, I went looking for it while I was there lol, no luck. After visiting Pier 54, I wrote a letter to the city of NYC about getting a plaque or something for the pier. I got a letter back saying that my letter had been forwarded to the NYC Historical Society or something. Maybe there is a plaque that I missed. Can't wait to go to England sometime and visit the sites. Thanks for all the tips !!

-Trent

A

Andrea Jane Rice

Trent, you should visit England, it's very historic and very beautiful. I'd rather have the US weather though! One of the main places to visit is the Tower of London. I work only up the road from it and can tell you it's pretty spectacular. Don't stay in central London though, it's too expensive. Hope you enjoy if you get here.

Andrea

Status
Not open for further replies.