Titanic Related Spots In Montreal

Mar 15, 2001
I was wondering if there are any Titanic related spots in Montreal or Quebec City? I am planning on visiting these cities in a week from now and would appreciate any feedback from someone who might know of any interesting places I shouldn't miss.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
Hi Darren.

Be sure and visit the Mont Royal Cemetery.
The Hayes family graves are there, including the graves of Charles and Clara hayes, and their daughter.
There is also a tribute plaque to their son-in-law, Thornton Davidson, whose body was never found.

Also at Mont Royal is the Molson family plot (yes, Molson beer). Harry Molson is either buried, or listed there, as he was on the Titanic.

There are also two family plots, related to the Empress of Ireland and Lusitania sinkings.

Also, accross the river, in Longuiell (spelling not guaranteed) is the Railway Museum, where you can find the private railway car that was owned by the Hayes. Clara Hayes and Orian Thornton returned home in that car, and, afterwards, Charles' body was transported to Montreal in the same car.

Another interesting tidbit: at Mont Royal is the gravesite of a famous Canadian, a woman who died in 1915. She was not involved in the Titanic story, but her own life story has been retold, albeit "greatly fictionalized".

John Clifford

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
Another question: has anyone taken over the Downtown building where Eatons Department Store was located.

That building was where the "Le 9" restaurant was located. "Le 9" incorporated the designs of the first class dining rooms of the Normandie and Isle De France.
When Eatons went into bankruptcy, many people made it a point to eat at "Le 9" one last time.

John Clifford

Nov 22, 2000
Hi Darren, Phil Hind hasn't asked you to spy on me has he? I'm in Montreal and Quebec City at the same time as you! I wonder if I should have posted this - people (Cook! - if you could call him a person!) will talk!!
I've been to both Montreal and Quebec before, they are well worth visiting.

Geoff

Mar 15, 2001
I don't really know how much time I will get to spend in each city but am really looking forward to seeing these cities. Last year I went to Nova Scotia. It was a beautiful place, especially the Cabot Trail. It was a long drive from North Carolina.