Titanic Relatives

D

D. M. Pogue

I was just wondering that if for myself, as well as the other posters, if those of you who are descended from Passengers of the Titanic would post (If you are comfortable doing so.) some of the following information about yourself.
Name:
Who you are related to:
Class they were in:
How you found out you were related to them:
Wether they survived or not:
And any other interesting information. I just would like to know about some of the relatives, and their experiences. Um... Thank-You.

D

David Haisman

Hi Michael,

If you would care to e-mail me, I would be only too pleased to help you with some of your questions.
Yours Sincerely,
David Haisman

A

Alysson Ambrose

Hi Michael,

My name is Alysson Ambrose and I had a great-grand-uncle aboard the Titanic. His name was Timothy "Denis" O'Brien. He was in Third Class. I found out when I was young as my mother told me. Growing up, she had always heard the very tragic story of how her grandmother Margaret (O'Brien) Fay grieved at the loss of her brother. Apparently, her older brother Michael O'Brien had sent for his younger brother (Denis) to come and be with the rest of the family in Boston, but instead wound up going up to Nova Scotia to identify his younger brother's body. My grandfather, Thomas Fay (nephew of Denis O'Brien), was born four years after the tragedy. He was a Boston State police Detective who often remarked how lucky they were to even have recovered a body at at all. However, any information I have come across has never identified any remains of him. I have just started this journey because I am very moved by the fact that he was only 21 years old at the time of his death. My mother told me that he was a jockey from Skibbereen, Co. Cork. this could perhaps be a clue to possibly his height and may help to identify him as one of the unidentified males recovered. The most curious thing to me though is the fact that by all accounts of my family, his older brother Michael did indeed identify him in Nova Scotia. Sometimes I think that maybe records were lost or maybe he just couldn’t bring himself to identify the body but told his family that he did to provide some closure.

Although I am a fourth generation relative, I do notice that the incident was very moving and still is to my mother who had first and second hand accounts from her father and grandmother. To them it was a very real tragedy that took the life of their brother and uncle in such a horrific way. I too am moved by his tragic death and I was hoping to find where his body was buried. However, it is proving to be more difficult than I imagined. Thank you for letting me share this information with you. If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me.

Thanks,
Alysson Ambrose

J

jennifer dodge blanchard

My grandfather was aboard -he was 4- and of course his parents- Dr. Dodge and wife- all of whom survived..I was able to hear lots of stories growing up about their night- and their rescue- it has always been fascinating to me

Ian Bland

May 31, 2009
Alysson

Do you know about the DNA research that has been done with unidentified victims bodies? I think there is info elsewhere on this site.
Regards

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Jennifer!

>I was able to hear lots of stories growing up >about their night- and their rescue-

If you'd consider sharing some of those stories with us, I guarantee you'll have a spellbound audience here on ET. :)

Thanks very much.

All my best,

George

J

jennifer dodge blanchard

There are several- I think from my grandfather's perspective- he remembered little from the actual sinking- except the screaming- and the cold- but spoke often of his arrival on the Carpathia- Since he and his mother arrived apart from Dr. Dodge- they had no way of knowing if he had even survived. While they were aboard the carpathia- Washington Jr. watched all the adults ask "Have you seen...?" He imagined a great big game of hide and go seek was being played- and therefore despite seeing his own father earlier in the day, neglected to tell his mother so as to not ruin the game...

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Hey! Where have I heard that story before? I'm not related either although my family insists there was a Maggie Hunt aboard related to us. I keep telling them there wasn't but a prophet is not without honor except in their own home.

Kyrila

D

Dorothy Rothwell

Looking for grandmother from Aberdeen:
JANE GARDEN McNAUGHTON ELMSLIE/EMSLIE - May have gone by MRS WILLIAM ELMSLIE/EMLSIE. The story has always been that she sailed on the Titanic, most likely in steerage, or 3rd class.
Thanks for your help. D.Rothwell

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
Hi, Dorothy,
According to a post by Craig Stringer in August, a Jane Emslie was a second class passenger on the Empress of Ireland, which also sank:

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/discus/messages/33551/33554.html

The ET site is comprehensive, but no listings for Jane appear as being on board Titanic. Since the Empress sank in the same decade as Titanic (1914), this might be the source of confusion as to which disaster she was involved in.

D

Dorothy Rothwell

Made error in spelling of
MRS WILLIAM ELMSLIE/*EMSLIE.
She was my sister-in law's grandmother, who was always told that her grandmother was on the Titanic, returning to Canada after a visit to Aberdeen. She has no internet so am doing this query for her. I have searched and searched the
passenger lists, cannot find any name like hers.
Thanks for your help. D. Rothwell

D

Dorothy Rothwell

Thank you for the info sent about Jane Emslie, who sailed on the Empress of Ireland, which also sank. Where could I confirm this please?
Thanks for your help.
D.Rothwell

Nov 22, 2000
Dorothy,Jane Emslie was a 56 year old nurse from around the Aberdeen area who had spent some time in Canada before returning to her native Scotland. She was a second class passenger on the Empress of Ireland and lost her life in the sinking.

D

Dorothy Rothwell

Thank you for the information about JANE EMSLIE, being on the Empress of Ireland, which sank May 1914. I do appreciate your help, Dan Cherry and Geoff Whitfield, many thanks.
D.Rothwell

Jan 5, 2001
Hello Dorothy,
Jane Emslie was mentioned in the Aberdeen Daily Journal of Saturday May 30th 1914. It mentioned that she had been staying with her married daughter, Mrs Joe Harrison in Moosomin, Saskatchewan for two years, and that her son, Peter, and his wife, lived at 10, College Street, Aberdeen.
I hope this helps
Craig

Apr 11, 2001
Archie Gracie had a son-in-law, William Beach Lawrence, who was Newport's first millionaire. He bought the fabulous Ochre Point for 14,000, then sold one small acre parcel of it the following year for 14,000- a deal he was to regret. The new tenant allowed the "commoners" to parade down Cliff Walk ( the path which goes behind the great mansions along the ocean). The irrate Lawrence put up a wall blocking the path which was promptly torn down by the locals. He installed a second wall studded with metal and glass which was also torn down and thrown into the sea. The citizens sued and the court case was a three-ringed circus. After pulling out every old trick in the book, Lawrence was told the path was a public passage and ordered him to cease and desist- it was almost as hot a scandal as the Von Bulow affair. Gracie had one daughter who died in the influenza epidemic of 1918 and another in an elevator crash- am not sure how many other children he had. Rich people lead such colorful lives it would seem. . .

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Hi Shelley, that must be a different Archie Gracie (there were several in different generations of the family). The Titanic Archibald had only one child, Edith Temple Gracie, that lived to maturity and she is the one you mentioned dying in the epidemic. But her husband's surname was Adams and he didn't live very long after she did.
Archibald and Constance had four children but two died in infancy (one was a little boy named Archibald, Jr.) and then they lost their other little girl in an elevator accident in Paris. As Edith Adams had no children (she was only married a year or less), there are no descendants of the family. Constance lived to be a very old woman having outlived her husband, all her children and her son-in-law. Very sad story.

My best,
Phil

Apr 11, 2001
Oh- too many Archies! Thanks Phil. The lady in Newport that gave me the story will be desolate! I think the other little girl was named Constance too- after her mother- the one that died in the elevator. Well let me try another Newport story- have been investigating a lot with the convention coming. A while back we had a thread on Titanic's loveliest lady and my candidate was Miss Hays (also a Newport connection when she married Dr. Easton)- but I think Mrs. Dorothy Harder can take honorable mention- such beautiful sultry eyes. I think it's great the family still has her fur coat, shoebutton hook and bottle of brandy from the night of the sinking. Her grandson Barclay Douglas lives in Newport and although Dorothy did not live there- she visited and her daughter lived there until she passed away in 1982. This shows her pretty face much better than that well-know shot with Mrs. Beckwith ondeck. Mr. Douglas must be about sixty now.
50904.jpg

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Hi Shelley,
Yes I have that same photo of Mrs. Harder and have always thought her to be one of the most beautiful "Titanic" women. I differ with most in thinking that Margaret Hays was not a particularly good looking woman. The well-known profile photo of her is elegant but full-face photos of her are not as flattering. By the way, George Harder's second wife, Elizabeth, was also a very beautiful woman.

Phil