Titanic Relatives

Apr 11, 2001
The Drexels were in church Sunday and I was able to chat a bit with them and the man doing the article on Newport connections. Their son married JJ Astor's (of Titanic fame) granddaughter. Am always amazed at how small a world it is. I was trying to find out if Madeleine came back to Newport after the sinking- Molly Brown did. Nobody was sure- I imagine she would not want to go to Beechwood although it was the season. Painful memories of her wedding day. I expect the baby was born in Manhattan. Perhaps someone knows. I also wondered about her nurse Mrs. Endres- we know she was around for awhile in 1912 but I imagine Madeleine had a baby nurse and maid after. I see Caroline went on to work for St. Luke's later . This photo is taken some 8 years after Titanic.
52191.jpg

Mar 15, 2001
Shelley, you have some great photos. I thought the Drexels lived in New York City. I also didn't know they were so willing to speak of their connection to Titanic. Was it Jacqueline that you spoke with?

Apr 11, 2001
The Drexels have real estate all over, New York, Palm Beach and Newport that I know of. I did not speak to Jacqueline-but Mr. Harrison has done an extensive interview which will be included in his book. It is her mother and father-in-law I know. They do not like to dwell on Titanic but are interested in family and geneology, photos, etc.

Apr 11, 2001
Darren- I see an error- I meant to say MISS Endres. Nurses and teachers were nearly always single ladies in those days. Some states had regulations making it a requirement! Massachusetts had a rule on the books about single female elementary teachers until 1950!

R

roger harry wakefield

has anyone got any information on mr.&mrs Beane they were honeymooners on they titanic, i know they both survived and stayed in america and had family. This was my great aunt I would love to here from anyone that knows anything e-mail rhw1952@aol.com

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Roger, if you haven't already seen it there's some info and a photo of the Beanes in the 2nd Class section of the 'Passenger Lists & Biographies' on this site (look for link on the home page.

K

Kelly Jayne Moore

Hi,i am convinced,as is most of my family and friends that my obsession with all that has anything to do with titanic,that i was related to someone aboard the ship.I have trailed though archives etc and found a list of names which have the same surname as my mothers side,Kelly.Quite a common name then esp with the Irish,which all my mothers family are.Any ideas of places,books etc which i could look through?i am fairly new to all this internet stuff,but i am sure someone out there could help.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Kelly, you should work backwards from yourself. That way you go from the known to the unknown.

There is a certain amount of genealogy online, notably at http://www.familysearch.org/ It's very heavily US oriented and you may be out of luck.

A great deal of genealogy is on the public record. This will vary from country to country, so you need to know how it's done in your part of the world. Old newspapers sometimes help with notices of births, deaths and marriages.

There are plenty of organisations that go in for genealogy and you can ask your local group for advice. Good hunting!

P.S. You'll need both patience and money.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Kelly, that's sound advice from Dave. You will have noted presumably that as well as the Kellys there were several people onboard, both passengers and crew, with the name Moore. But having said that, keep in mind that you are looking for a needle in a haystack when you know that there probably is no needle to be found. Good luck anyway!

S

Shannon Blank

Hi, this goes back to Michael's original question, my name is Shannon and I am related to Mary Marvin (she was my great-grandmother), a 1st class passenger on her honeymoon with Daniel Marvin. She survived, he did not.

Michael, I hope this information is helpful to you,

Shannon Blank

P

Patrick J. Howard

Hi, Michael
happy.gif

My mother told me that I was distantly related to the Caldwell family (2nd class)consisting of Albert and Sylvia Caldwell and their son, Alden, then an infant. Mom spoke of Alden being some sort of cousin, but she never defined the geneological connection. My mother's name was Jean Greybill Smith, of Topton, PA and her father was Albert Smith, also of Topton (I don't recall my grandmother's name and my mother passed away about three years ago).

Little is apparently known about Alden Caldwell, except that he spent the majority of his adult life in Allentown, PA. He was always described as being an excessively private person.

I am interested in finding any additional information regarding Adlen Caldwell or his immeidiate family. Can anyone out there help me?

Thanks, Pat Howard