Titanic Ride

A

Alex McLean

Personally, I wouldn't want to ride it, partly because i would look like an idiot, and secondly because the Titanic was a great maritime disaster, and should not be remembered as a little kiddy ride.
Another case of this is in Williamstown in Melbourne, Australia. There is a resteraunt there named Titanic Entertainment. From what I have heard, you can choose from either First or Steerage class for dining facilities (even though the same meals are served, the only differences I know of is the surroundings, the price and the fact that first class have a horse and cart take them to dinner).
After the meal, there is a sort of simulation of some kind. I can see why the owners (not in any way trying to put them down) did this- all the hulla-baloo of the movie, but as a historian of the ship, I would not want to go there to pay my respects to Titanic, but rather do what I did for it's 90th (stood at berth 44 in Southampton's Ocean Dock on April 15 at 2:20am for a minutes silence). It does give the diners a feel of 1912 in some ways, but in others, it is just a tasteless money-making scheme.
Sorry if anyone on this board knows of the place I am talking about, but this is just my point of view.
Bye,
Alex

Please Note: Anyone looking for this resteraunt in Williamstown should loom for the large building with a mast out the front, four large funnels and deck equipment on the roof, and a van with Titanic sinking illuminated on the top. ;)

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
I bet they wouldn't get away with a WTC themepark ride!!

Too close to the bone and the event (in time)!
I agree the slide sounds a bit questionable.

And before anyone flames me by mistake I was also shocked and appalled by what I was hearing on the radio 7am NZT 11/07/01

peace and prosperity to all

Martin

Apr 11, 2001
Coney Island featured a Titanic simulated disaster attraction in 1913- it was a great success. This is mentioned in Sodom by the Sea- a history of Coney Island.

Feb 14, 2011
This ride was present at the Topsfield Fair in Topsfield MA.It was tasteless, but i was more concerned with the obviously depressed Asian elephant that was forced to walk in endless circles, taking people for walks.

The Titanic ride was just a tad tasteless- whats next,an amusement park ride centered around collapsing world trade center towers?

Tarn Stephanos

Apr 23, 2002
There was a picture of such in one of my Atlantic Daily Buletins from the British Titanic Society, i'll need to dig it out and scan it for you

T

Trent Pheifer

The slide was at our local festival just a week or two ago, everyone asked me if I rode it, some even asked my parents if, i had corrected the guys on it notbeing to scale. It mad me so mad! I am all for Titanic related stuff, that furthers out knowledge of the sinking, not exploits it. Like Shelley said there was a Titanic attraction at Coney Island-- Saturday, 23 May 1914---Luna Park on Coney Island, Brooklyn,New York, opens its 1914 season with a 'spectacular show' depicting the 'Titanic Disaster' in 'three amazing acts'. The show is so poorly constructed and presented that is lasts barely two weeks"-----Eaton and Haas Titanic : A Journey Through Time

On a side note, I will be at Coney Island, I am visiting NYC for 2 wks , I am so excited!

-Trent

A

Anthony Charles Givelin Paine

Does any one know if the 'Titanic Exhibition' is still on in Orlando, Florida. Also where exactly is the Titanic theme park, as mentioned by Mike in Australia. Visiting Sydney next year then cruising up to Darwin and finally Bangkok.
Kind regards,
Anthony.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Yes, Anthony. The Titanic Ship of Dreams museum in Orlando will continue to be there until August. I don't know the exact date of closing, but hopefully news will be forthcoming of their new location (I'm hoping it's West Palm Beach, FL, and not Branson, MO!) The TSOD is fabulous! You'll really enjoy it. It's right off I-4 on International Drive, just south of Universal Studios. Next to Ripley's Believe it or Not, in the Mercado Plaza, which is a great place to hang around at night time I might add.

All the best,
Kyrila

A

Anthony Charles Givelin Paine

Dear Kyrila,
Thank you for the message. The reason I asked is that in October I am in Miami and was going to drive up to Orlando. Would you kindly let me know where it may be moving to?. I did visit it in 1999 and it was EXCELLENT. The best I had ever been to. The night we went there was practically no one in there so we had a superb tour round. The ones I have been to in England except Grenwich,( maritime museum @ london)have been a waste of time.
Thank you again for the information. I know West Palm Beach quite well. I bet you are having lovely weather. Fairly cold and rainy here in London.
Kind regards,
Anthony

E

Emily Bisignano

I've went on this Titanic slide and I liked it a lot. I've heard a lot of kids say that they've enjoyed it too. You can take the commericalism of Titanic literally through this but I really don't see harm in it. The kids just thought it was a "fun, fast slide." For me, it just keeps the memory of Titanic alive. I know the difference between commericalism and outright mockery. The people that designed this ride obviously took the time to make it quite historically accurate. There isn't a sign on the entrance of the ride saying "to memorialize the RMS Titanic" or some other notion. Need I interview people that rode the ride and ask them what they think???

R

Reece Ewington

>I dont want to sound mean to the people that desighned that ride but people >died and now they have made a ride out of the last moments of some peoples >life. its like makeing a ride out of september 11th. its not right. I went >on that ride and i found it stupid cos it went to fast. That besides the >point though. i beleve it is commericalism and i dont like it FROM REECE EWINGTON 17 M MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
Whats next!
Flight simulators!
Step right up! See what is was like on Flight #175!!! Feel what it was like!!! Hurry! Hurry!
Makes me sick!
-Don

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
It says,"Captures all of the excitement of the maiden voyage!"
Excitement!!! Do these people know what happened?
You want to make it real, have them slide into 28 degree water and swim a 100 yards to get out!
See how much fun it is then!!!
Think ill go find one of these slides and bring my handy-dandy Swiss Army knife with me!!!
-Don

J

John Meeks

I believe that, in Nazi Germany, there was a popular childrens board game based on "Snakes and Ladders".

It was called "Catch the Jew".

I suppose it stemmed from a similiar mentality....

John M

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
One of these slides just turned up at a fireworks stand here in Portland, Or.!
Stopped by to see it and dozens of kids were sliding and screaming with joy as they went!
Kind of gave me the chills!
-Don

R

Robert Bass

Guys the local county fall fair has had that slide for the last three years. They came out after the movie and as soon as they wear out I'm sure they will be gone. I feel some of you are making too much over this. Yes, in poor taste...but nothing to miss sleep over.

Robert

Robert