Titanic Ride

Mar 28, 2002
Ananova, 15.42 Tuesday 13th August 2002

TITANIC BOUNCY CASTLE CRITICISED BY SURVIVOR

A survivor of the Titanic has criticised the use of a bouncy castle which is a replica of the Titanic at a Liverpool car boot sale.

Ninety-year old Millvina Dean, who was a baby when she survived the April 1912 sinking, said the plaything was "disgusting" and "distressing". Her father, Bertram, died in the tragedy.

The Titanic was registered to Liverpool and many of it's sailors were from the Merseyside area.

The Liverpool Echo reports the US-made inflatable slide features at a car boot sale in Northway, Lydiate. They cost £10,000 each.

The castle is advertised on the Cutting Edge Creations website as coming with an "optional iceberg challenge" which captures "all the excitement of the famed ocean liner's maiden voyage."

The company claims the slide was the number one-selling amusement ride in the US last year.

Miss Dean said: "I suppose as long as they make money out of it they don't care about offending the memory of people who came through that terrible night."

The bouncy castle has also been criticised by a Catholic seafarers welfare organisation in Bootle. Peter Devlin, manager of the Stella Maris Centre, said: "We must be careful to always remember the true significance of the Titanic. Hundreds of people lost their lives - and seafarers continue to be in danger every day."

Cutting Edge Creation's International sales director, Robert Field, said: "When it first came out a few people were critical, but you're never going to make everyone happy."

He added: "We're talking history here - the people on the Titanic are long dead. There's no-one left."

WHAT A CHARMING FELLOW.

Cheers,

Boz

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
Charming fellow indeed. This is the kind of guy you just want to accidently feed to the sharks.

S

sharon rutman

Talk about bad taste!!!!! And to John Meeks--Catch the Jew doesn't sit too well with this Jew.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
I didn't want to start a whole new thread for this post, but what I found yesterday was equally as tacky as the slide ride, so what better place to discuss it?
My daughter and I have some very young guests in our home for the weekend, and we have been going non-stop to entertain them. One of our adventures was to go to a local arcade heaven called "Boomers" in Boca Raton. Boomers has every arcade you can imagine, plus miniature golf, mini-race cars, and a water ride - just to set the scene. As we were helping the kids to find games that would win them the most tickets for prizes, I came across a slot machine of sorts. You put your token in, and the lights fly around the wheel. You try to hit the button on the highest number as the light spins around. The name of this game was "Titanic" and there in the center of the wheel was the ship, bow under with stern in the air, spinning in a whirlpool. It really hurt my feelings to see this game, so I went to the manager and very politely explained that I was offended by the game, explaining that the Titanic was in 1912 a disaster of the same magnitude as 9/11 is for us today, and also that some relatives of Titanic passengers remain in the South Florida area, and it would be painful for them to see such a game. The manager was very receptive to my presentation, even to the point of wanting more information about Titanic, and promised he would take my concerns to the corporate headquarters to see if the game could not be upgraded with different graphics. It was heartening to see him change his perception of the game, and to know change can be affected if we present it properly and without blame or guile. By the time the conversation ended, I had the sense that this young man was a convert to the cause.

Kyrila

A

Alex McLean

They have that same game in Melbourne. I went there a few weeks ago with a friend (and former member of the board) and my ex, and I was quite offended by the game. I saw a youngster playing it, and yelling with delight to the extent of saying 'look at everyone dying, mummy!' With that I left, I didn't have the presence of mind to complain to the manager, as you did, Kyrila (partly because the manager was a big tattooed man who no doubt has had his share of motorbike accidents). I wish now I had've done something. You are a good person, Kyrila, remember that.

S

Susan Leighton

So many times in life, I have found that by simply talking to [the right] people about a situation or product that is offensive or unsatisfactory, I am successful in creating change. No yelling, no bad language...just a conversation...and people understand and begin to see things in a different way. It is quite remarkable when that occurs. Thanks for sharing that story with us Kyrila..and Alex...I can't blame you for not approaching your Arcade Manager...doesn't sound like it would have done any good with him.
Susan Y. Leighton

May 28, 2001
hi - sorry I've not posted for a long time - pressure of work, family, laundry and getting new carpets fitted.

This slide / ride, whatever - a friend of mine tells me that in Australia this is a huge contraption in a warehouse arrangement, with the stern sitting in a minature lake. You are a survivor or a victim...people who were designated 'survivors', and who thus got rowed away through the night, complained that they didn't get to partake (and I'm quoting the publicity leaflet here )on 'the mighty vessel's death plunge', and so they were given tickets to go round again! At first I thought that was a idea the White Star line hadn't thought of in 1912, and then I realised that they had, when they sent back some survivors on the Olympic.

Sorry, can't stop... need to buy carpet cleaner...

M

monica gugliotta-ruggeri

All these games and rides seem to be so tasteless and unaware of human feelings. In my opinion, for all people involved in a tragedy like Titanic directly or indirectly everything (movies, films, books, even this site) hurts because there's no way one can know what they went through. Many times I ask myself if my interest in Titanic is somehow disrespectful to the people who lived that tragedy.

Aug 31, 2004
I am sorry to say that I actually went on this ride. It looked like fun, and it was only $2, but now that I think about it...I want to go on it again! here's a photo:
<table border=1>[tr][td]
attachment_icon.gif
Titanicslide
tslide.bmp (24.6 k)[/td][/tr][/table]​

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
One can now purchase one's own personal Titanic Slide, plus the "...icing on the cake..." of the Iceberg Challenge as well.

Oh goody.

http://tinyurl.com/55xjn

Edit: And in case that doesn't depress you enough, HERE are some comments from "non-Titaniacs" who have seen the above site. (Note: Some profanities are contained within this link.)

A

Alex McLean

In which languages can we swear on this board? I'd like to bring in a little German, followed by some Spanish and topped by a lot of French.
This is terrible,
Alex

Jun 12, 2004
The "frozen corpses of children" remark left a knot in my my chest.

ALEX: Se habla espanol? Donde aprendio' usted la lengua? Hace dies anos que hablo espanol. Las fuerzas de mis distrezas espanolas son los escritos y los leyidos. Yo enseno espanol tambien, sino no echo malidiciones o palabras ofensivas. Es posible que nos charlamos alguna vez en espanol? Tal vez mientras que bebemos una cerveza, lol.

If you have any problems with the above segment, Alex, please feel to ask any time. Yes, I know plenty of 'swear' words and phrases, but I'm not going to express them here, even in Spanish. Considering the fact that there are people from all over the world who interact on this board, I presume that swearing in any and every language is prohibited.

Making fun of the dead in any language, like the speaker of the quote at the top of this post does, is abominable and unacceptable.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
"Considering the fact that there are people from all over the world who interact on this board, I presume that swearing in any and every language is prohibited."

Yes, that is correct Mark.

I've said this before and I will say it again, this is absolutely sick. I saw one of these horrible things at a street festival that was held here in July. I was so tempted to go and take the air out of it, by popping in a few pins.

The "frozen corpses of children" quote has left me with my jaw dropped open.

Why people think this fun and "sweet" is way beyond me.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
If a "WTC slide" was introduced, where one simulates jumping out of the burning building, the outcry would be immediate and horrendous.
The same would be said of anything that depicted another recent tragedy, such as the Space Shuttle Challenger explosion or the bombing of the Oklahoma City Federal Building.

That is why I find it unconcionable to depict the sinking of Titanic as a children's ride.

Re: I was so tempted to go and take the air out of it, by popping in a few pins": Jason, I'd compensate you for the cost of the pins, plus the cost of a top quality hunter's knife.

Jun 12, 2004
Let's hope not. It sounds like a thrill seeking event of the insane. It's a ride, and perhaps wasn't necessarily intended to reflect insensitivity, but the fact that the ride reflects a commercialized attempt to capitalize on the tragedy, which is inappropriate. The quote above, however, was merely some byreader's off-handed and thoughtless remark, which doesn't necessarily serve as evidence that the ride itself is of ill intent.

By the way, Alex, my post above wasn't meant to be condescending toward you. I was only teasing you in a lighthearted way. When you mentioned Spanish, I was trying to open a dialogue in the language. Just wanted to let you know.

Jun 12, 2004
By the way, I vote for the knife. It's much more effective. I'd say use a shotgun at twenty or fifty paces, but you might hit someone. We can't have that.