Titanic Ship Bells

Apr 27, 2014
Hi everyone,

I am trying to found out who made the Titanic's bells and if they were made in Dublin.

Thanks

Sam

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The bells were made by Thomas Utley & Co, brass founders, in Liverpool. This company also produced all the brass portholes.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi Sam,

It might also be worth mentioning that R.M.S. Titanic, Inc. salvaged the bell in 1987 after the wreck of the Titanic was discovered in 1985.

Good luck with your assignment.

Cheers,
Adam.

B-rad

Jul 1, 2015
Tacoma, WA
Two questions really quick about the bells on Titanic.

The first question is about the bell recovered from the wreck. I've read that it has a supposed diameter of 18" (I've only found one source that states its size) which is not listed on the rigging plan. Sources vary on the placement of this bell on Titanic, stating that it was either the crow's nest or the lower bell on the base of the foremast. Does anyone know for sure?

Second question is the 'One Bell' to signify 15 min before the change of watch. I've always assumed that it was the reasonability of the lookouts to ring this, but then I realized that they did not have a clock. Therefore, would it not have been the Quartmaster's responsibility, as it was theirs to ring every 1/2 hr.?

Thanks!

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
In fact, you can see thre bell oin the crow's nest in this picture:
05_titanic.jpg

Yes. 1 bell is rung as a 15 minute warning for both Watches. Since it was one of the duties of the standby QM to call the officers at 1 bell, it was possibly the junior OOW who would call the crows nest and tell them to ring one bell. On the other hand, there may have been a small Watchkeeping bell some where. They did sound the hours in the crow's nest:
"Mr. FLEET.
It may have been just after. We never, generally, ring bells up in the crow's nest every half hour; we generally miss it."

They also shouted a report to the bridge from time to time that the navigation lights were "burning brightly" so there must have been some kind of system set up between them and the bridge.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
The first question is about the bell recovered from the wreck. I've read that it has a supposed diameter of 18" (I've only found one source that states its size) which is not listed on the rigging plan. Sources vary on the placement of this bell on Titanic, stating that it was either the crow's nest or the lower bell on the base of the foremast. Does anyone know for sure?
It has been identified as the crows nest bell. That bell is reported to had been 15", I do not have my notes at hand about how the diameter of the recovered on was exactly. The one on the base had 23" and the one in front of the bridge 9".

A

Aaron_2016

Did the Titanic have a bell like this one on the promenade deck of the Aquitania to alert the public the ship was about to depart?

Skip to 0:27

Alex Clark

Mar 24, 2012
What chance was there that the sound of the watch bells being struck and bells from the crow's nest might be confused? Did they have different tones? I know the three bells for something ahead would be three dings, whereas three bells in the watch would be two dings, followed by ding. But perhaps a bell for something on the starboard bow could sound like one bell. How was confusion avoided?

Richard Ives

Oct 26, 2018
If the crow’s nest bell was salvaged then someone must know the size and the tone. So could someone determine it and post the information?

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
I was just watching the 4-part 2012 ITV television mini-series and there's a scene where the crow's nest bell can be heard from inside Mrs. Rushton's first class cabin as the Titanic approaches the iceberg.

Was the crow's nest bell really loud enough to be heard from the first class cabins on A-deck or elsewhere in the ship?

I don't think you could hear it if you were at the stern. It was certainly loud enough to be heard from the bridge.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I don't know about Titanic's bell, but I do know that when I anchor in Port Lincoln I can easily hear a small church bell 600 metres away. I should think Titanic's bell could be heard anywhere above deck. Below decks is another thing.