Titanic sinking in depth view

Status
Not open for further replies.

james harris

Nov 2, 2007
hi everyone

i was just wondering if anybody knows a site/document of an in depth analysis view of the sinking of the titanic

i am curious to know the incline of the ship per minuite/hour and the flooding rate.

thanks
camatic

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
Hi James.

There has been some theoretical work on that in the past which made an attempt to do just that. However, the problem comes when trying to correlate the theoretical solution with actual survivor accounts that can be quantified in term of down angle and flooding location on a reliable time line. The key is finding that reliable time line based on direct primary accounts, not on what some author may want you to believe.

Several years ago I wrote a paper that was published in the Titanic Historical Society's Commutator journal (Vol. 30, No. 174) called "Angles of Trim and Heel" which looked at the differing trim and heel angles presented over a period of 2 hours and 40 minutes following the collision. It was based on observational evidence of those that were there. Results were compared to the theoretical work of Hackett and Bedford, and it also included a derivation of the initial 5° angle of list to starboard that the ship took on immediately following the collision.

Since that time I have made a few revisions and added some more data points to that study. In addition I have also looked at the water intake that would be needed to produce a given down angle. But all this detail is still work in progress and being written up for future publication. However, I have included an updated graph showing down angle Vs. time based on observational data in my recent on-line ET article called "Why a Low Angle Break".

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>i was just wondering if anybody knows a site/document of an in depth analysis view of the sinking of the titanic <<

There is Samuel's excellant on line article as well as the Bedford and Hackett paper. There's also a book titled "Titanic And Other Ships" which focuses primarily on Titanic but also deals with both the Lusitania and Britannic.

Materials and articles abound, mostly in print though some articles are on line. The problem here is the host of unknowns as so many potentially useful witnesses went down with the ship. This leaves a lot of room for disagreement.

Aug 10, 2002
Hello Michael:
You may remember I did a Power Point presentation on Flooding at the symposium in Castine. Since then I've started working on a stability calculation, and flooding plays a big part in that. Anyway my research points up exactly what you said. There isn't much information from the later stages due to lack of surviving witnesses.
Regards,
Charlie Weeks

Aug 10, 2002
Michael:
I would like to point out that the first part of that presentation, the section on gates and watertight doors was done by Cathy Akers Jordan. That is her field of research.
Regards,
Charlie Weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.