Titanic splits in 1943 film

James Hill

Feb 20, 2002
On one of my regular visits to us.imdb.com I looked into Titanic 1943`s trivia notes.It states there that this was the first film that featured the ship breaking in two.Though it may have been muddled with another Titanic film.Just curious

May 6, 2003
thats interesting that they showed it cracking in half, from what i know in the 40's Nazi Germany made a propaganda film about the Titanic and to make the british look bad, maybe they added the splitting up part to make it seem like british made poorly designed ships. All in all i think it was just to make the british look bad. Any suggestions?

James Hill

Feb 20, 2002
I don`t know if in the 1943 film it splits.I think they`ve got it confused with another film.But as you`ve said the English are made to look as cruel,selfish,stupid people so it wou8ld fit in rather well.I have`nt seen the film but am desperate to get it on video.Does anyone know if the ship does actually split in the film.

Wesley Burton

Apr 22, 2004
I havent seen it either. But I know someone who has, he also said it broke up. The sinking sequences were far better than the 1953 film too. I beleive A Night to Remember took some footage from the 1943 one.

Nov 26, 2005
This film does not show the Titanic breaking in half. Actually (though good effects for it's day), the sinking in kinda disappointing. The stern rises far too quickly then just quietly slides back into the sea. It's a very good movie for what it is, but no. There is no breaking up in the 1943 Titanic film.

May 12, 2009
I think this myth comes from the fact that a few years ago, IMDb had the 1943 Nazi film confused with the 1996 CBS mini-series. How that could happened is beyond me, but it did.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
There is no splitting in halve in the German 1943 movie. The ship sink in one piece. Some scenes were used in other movies too also in "A Night To Remember" (1958) but nothing from the sinking scenes! The first film showing the ship braking apart was the 1996 TV movie followed by Titanic 1997.

Matt DiTullio

Jun 2, 2008
No it does not. But I must admit the sinking sequences in this film are the best i have ever seen (Minus Titanic (97)) ...

>> Well the real event was really dark. lol

It's not a documentary and they're not going for realism in this film. Even in ANTR and Cameron, the filmmakers gave the impression of darkness with filters and lenses and lighting. Apparently, the Nazis didn't grasp this concept.

Matt DiTullio

Jun 2, 2008
hmm.. Well, it was dark on my screen but not that dark. Maybe you just need to adjust the lighting on your Television. haha. Im just kidding. ; ) ..