Titanic Stock Certificate

D

Dana Cantu

Okay,

On www.Target.com, if you type in the search box "Titanic" you get one item that says "Original Titanic Stock Certificate" and there it is the "stock certificate" now, I really don't know if I believe this, they say it comes with a certificate of authenticity but still I'm a skeptic. It sells for $100.00 so if I did buy one, I want to make sure it was real and not fake. So if someone is interested in helping me, go take a look at it and see what you think...real or fake???

Thanks

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Some comments on the description of this article:
quote:

The International Mercantile Marine Fleet, founded by J.P. Morgan, offered stock in the Titanic
Not really. The stock was in IMM, which owned the International Navigation Co., Ltd., which owned the Oceanic Steam Navigation Co., Ltd., which owned Titanic. Owning IMM stock was owning "stock in Titanic" only in the same sense that owning stock in GM, say, makes one an owner of the property owned by a subsidiary of a GM subsidiary, which is hardly any ownership at all.
quote:

After the ship went down, all stock certificates were cancelled.
This isn't true; IMM remained in existence, and issued stock certificates with this ship shown on them, for many years after 1912.

Online it's not uncommon to see these offered for about $100 or so, but at ephemera and antiques shows I've seen them for much less, sometimes as low as $15. Certificates with Ismay's signature, of course, would fetch more.​

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>go take a look at it and see what you think...real or fake???<<

I'm thinking that it's a reproduction of an IMM stock certificate. Target is a lot of things but a dealer in antiques isn't one of them. I'd certainly want to see some verifiable provanance before handing over even a penny for it if they claim otherwise.

J

Jeff Kelley

The date on the certificate might enhance or detract from value. I have one or two of these, dated in the 1940s I think, which are less desirable in my opinion than one dated prior to the sinking.

Incidentally, I had always understood that the ship on the certificate was not the Titanic as such, just of that class of ship.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Jeff, if you click on the link in my first message on this page, you'll see an earlier discussion of IMM certificates. This ship appeared on them even before the Olympic class was designed. It was intended, it seems, just as a "large four-funnel ship," not representative of any particular ship or class of ships.