Titanic Survivors: Are any online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bill m jones

New to this I am a Writer and working on something
about Titanic and have become friends with Miss
Millvina Dean yes the youngest survivor of the ship I have always' loved the Titanic and have
loved researching it this site has helped in many ways I don't guess any of the survivors are on line are they ?

Thanks
Shipboy (Matthew)

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Not that they're advertising anyway. We've had visits from the occasional decendant/reletive, but that's it. There are only five survivors alive today, with only one...Melvina Dean...who has any consistant active involvement in any Titanic societies or functions.

I suspect that they rest are keen to protect their privacy. Can't say as I blame them.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
See my answer on survivors elsewhere.

BTW, what do you write on, the kindergarten blackboard?

B

bill m jones

I think I will Survive with the lack of information I will gain from your post elsewhere
on survivors.But thanks anyway Kindergarten-boy
New to this I hope not all are brain dead here ?

and you have yourself a good one there Dave
and a Merry-Xmas.

Matthew

Sep 12, 2000
Dear Matthew,

Dave has a keen sense of humor and has a tremendous knowledge base and is anything but brain dead...I would seek out his answers.

But perhaps as an author and in your eagerness to get into things you missed the instructions on the use of the Message Board or what this area is about.

Topics under the "Introduce Yourself" topical area are where we can add a thread with a title that reflects our names and where we can tell the board a bit about ourselves.

Questions are generally posted under the topic of discussion. So your question would be posted under Passengers then under a thread dealing with the survivors. This helps us to post relevant things to each thread. It makes reading through and researching later a lot easier when looking through the closed and opened threads here.

And in regards to the email address, you are her good friend, just ask her. I'm sure she will respect your request based on your close association with her.

Enjoy your day.
Maureen.
PS- Welcome to the board BTW. And also, in reagrds to Dave, he is probably a bit testy due to the fact that he knows that I am after him after a crack he made about my fruitcake and my knitted lifejacket. So be kind to him cause I can run faster than he can. (Giggles)

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
Maureen
With the kind of replies Dave is posting, ( which I should think Phil should delete as it comes under his no flaming rule ) it has not hard to see why Matthew defended himself. He does not know if Dave Gittens has a sense of humor. It is a poor lack of judgement to try it out on someone who is brand new to the board. And that is if it is being funny. I wouldn't even consider it that.
With those kind of postings in general ( the OUT OF BOUNDS comes to mind )you can see why I and several other researchers have ceased frequenting this board. I haven't been to this board in a few weeks and after this I shall cease all together as there is general ill will going around.
What I had thought would be serious questions and answers has turned it to flame wars or the other extreme of looking for friends. Neither being germane to the topics at hand. Oh well- back to the library.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Mike, a little food for thought which I hope will put some things in perspective. Forums are rather funny animals and it's an unfortunate fact that sometimes things do get ugly. However, outside of forums, things can get just as bad, sometimes even worse.

I would love to be able to beleive that every serious researcher is a nice guy or gal, but sadly enough, that's far from being the case. Petty rivalries are a fact of life in ANY feild of research (You should see the nastiness I see in technical biblical studies) and I'm afraid there's no escaping them no matter where you go. Look at what happens any time the Californian issue or the salvage thing comes up. I've seen it on both of the listservs I subscribe to.

Bottom line, we can't escape some of the unpleasantness, but we need good cool headed people about to temper that and to ensure good quality debates discussions. In short, we need you. I hope you'll re-consider leaving.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England

Quote:

With those kind of postings in general ( the OUT OF BOUNDS comes to mind )you can see why I and several other researchers have ceased frequenting this board. I haven't been to this board in a few weeks and after this I shall cease all together as there is general ill will going around.

What, Mike Poirier, would you propose to improve the mood - well actually you do make one helpful suggestion! Frankly, your post strikes me as pompous and self indulgent ("I and several other researchers" - erm..?). Perhaps this is unintentional or perhaps I have misinterpreted it, but far from ameliorating a situation it potentially inflames it further. If the situation is as you describe it.

However ...

Mike Standart is quite right to put things in perspective. These scenarios occasionally occur on forums and I think we are all guilty of misjudging the mood from time to time. But surely the net benefits outweigh the problems. Just look at all the excellent information that is shared here.
If you can't handle the vagaries of online communication then perhaps you are right to go. However I strongly dispute the assertion that there is "general ill will going around" - In fact I would argue that quite the opposite is true and that in General, with the odd isolated exception, the mood and feeling on the board is excellent, supportive, enthusiastic and encouraging. Long may it continue.

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
Phil:
Just to answer your very 'well put statements'.
1. My statements are neither pompous nor self indulgent. I have several emails in my possession from researchers who left your board, who all basically said the a good percentage ( this is where I step in and say, definitely not all ) of postings never rose past an infantile level.
What I thought this board could be Phil, either turned into flame wars or the other extreme which is a lonely hearts club. Really Phil, the day I lost respect for this board was a few months ago when a friend of mine got flammed very badly and you did not intercede in anyway.
I have been contemplating leaving the board for sometime and one of the last postings gave me a perfect excuse. Imagine picking on a brand new poster, just because they were curious about survivors? Kindergarten chalkboard? I am sure they appreciated that you stepped in and handled the situation! A good example was when I was a boy and asked what an adult would consider foolish questions about Titanic. Instead of making fun of me, Shelley and Mike Findlay encouraged me to learn and research more about the ship. I admit that I am no saint. And sometimes my postings can come across as stern, but usually after a good, long winded, old fashioned argument.
I think you are really kidding yourself Phil. Yes there is a decent percentage of nice posters out there, but the mood is definitely not excellent. I guess I could point out this and that, but there would be no point.
And to Mike- I doubt anyone on this board needs me. If anyone has a question about the Lusy, they can direct to the Geoff and Eric who certainly know more than I do. Other than that my contributions haven't been anything to put in a book.
Well Phil, I wouldn't even have seen your 'nice' post, had several people not emailed me to tell me about it. So this is the real good bye. You can post your comebacks all you like, but I won't see them so there is no point is there?
But a sincere thanks to certain posters who made talking about research fun.

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England

Quote:

when a friend of mine got flammed very badly and you did not intercede in anyway.

We are all mostly mature adults and my view is that people have personal responsibility for what they post however I will take action when appropriate.

If your friend was flamed and I did not intervene then why on earth didn't you or he e-mail me and say something instead of waiting to see if I did something - instead of criticising me now! I am not a mind reader nor do I have time to read every single thread and message on this board.

Quote:

You can post your comebacks all you like, but I won't see them so there is no point is there?

No, that's right Mike, my mistake - you're not being self-indulgent in the least!

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Now that I have the floor to myself...

Mike P. sidetracked me slightly but he does make the valid point that newcomers should be welcomed and encouraged not put off with sarcastic remarks and flippancy. Have to confess I didn't really get Dave's remark - maybe I'm getting slow in my old age (eh Cook) but Matthew clearly took it as an insult or slight and this is obviously unfortunate.

I hope we can be a little more welcoming of new people and respectful of others. Maybe Mike's right and that the greater percentage of postings are infantile or from lonely hearts but I suspect not however, as I have said before, this is just *my* view and *all* views are welcome.*

*Within Reason!
happy.gif

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Why is it whenever old age comes up, somebody always points to me and giggles?

Doddering Cook

Mar 10, 1998
Pat, wasn't it "Granny" on the Beverly Hillbillies who decided she wanted to know how old she was? Elly May told her to find out how old the hills back home were "cause people says you's old as they is." :)

Oh, but it was a good Whataburger!

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.