Titanic Swimming Pool

• Thread starter Qoice RaMar Sanders
  • Start date

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Hello,

Perhaps I'm wrong on this one, but wasn't there an expedition in 2000 which managed to access the swimming pool? I heard about this, I think, in "Ghosts of the Titanic." I recall it mentioning somewhere that the tiles still gleamed under the strobe lights.

David: I'm guessing that a "silt out" is when the sub makes contact with parts of the wreckage that is covered with a layer of silt, causing a "snow storm" of sediments.

Cheers, View attachment 27532

~B.W.
it's noted that in the appendix of the expeditions, (I love it, has a list of the expeditions up to 2001, and what their intentions were.), here's the quote:

"2001-Soviet Navy: Mir I and Mir II with deep-penetrating robots; photography of previously unexplored rooms, including close-up views of fish and crabs sheltering amongst the broken but still gleaming tiles of the Titanic's swimming pool and Turkish Baths." (page 311)

Seeing how the book was written in 2000, Pellegrino had yet to go with this expedition. He went with the 2001 expedition, because this was the 2001 James Cameron expedition. To see the Swimming Pool and Turkish Baths was one of the objectives of the 2001 expedition.

From Mrs. Beverly Crowder, written on this very site, on September 22nd, 2001:
"The current plan is to sweep or "floss" as Jim calls it, several deck levels today.
Of special interest is the Turkish Bath and the Swimming Bath on F deck. With the teak wood and the tile that has been seen in great preservation, they are hoping to see that there as well."

Mrs. Crowder also wrote on September 26th, 2001:
"Didn't get to see Turkish bath. Got to F deck landing and got silted out. Got called back to the surface. Didn't get to C deck either."

So, the plan to see the Swimming and Pool were not successful. They didn't get to see the Turkish Baths until 2005, and they found the Watertight Door closed to the Swimming Pool.
My conclusion is, that, Pellegrino didn't see the Swimming Pool, Or "make up a fact." he merely told what one of the primary objectives was for the 2001 expedition.

Keith H

Oct 13, 2017
Yes the entrance to the swinging pool is on F deck on the other side of the water tight door from the Turkish baths that Cameron did get in to , the only other route to the swinging pool would be via the linen room on the other side of the ship that would be an impossible feat for a small submersible but who knows maybe ? .Apart from that the other way would be to look through the port holes from out side or pop a camera though a port hole to get inside the swimming pool ,
I have highlighted the position of the swimming pool on an enclosed picture of the wreck.
Judging by the good state of preservation of the walls of the Turkish baths I expect the swimming pool would be in good state of preparation and well worth the effort to gain entry to.
titanic 2.png
titanic f deck.png

Reactions: 1 users

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Yes the entrance to the swinging pool is on E deck on the other side of the water tight door from the Turkish baths that Cameron did get in to , the only other route to the swinging pool would be via the linen room on the other side of the ship that would be an impossible feat for a small submersible but who knows maybe ? .Apart from that the other way would be to look through the port holes from out side or pop a camera though a port hole to get inside the swimming pool ,
I have highlighted the position of the swimming pool on an enclosed picture of the wreck.
Judging by the good state of preservation of the walls of the Turkish baths I expect the swimming pool would be in good state of preparation and well worth the effort to gain entry to.View attachment 75199View attachment 75200
if the wall between the drying room and the showers rotted through, think its possible to get in the pool! If only the WTD to the Pool wasn't closed :(

jrboi

Oct 5, 2020
if the wall between the drying room and the showers rotted through, think its possible to get in the pool! If only the WTD to the Pool wasn't closed :(
the best bet no matter how risky is to go to Scotland road and go down the stairs to f deck which should grant us access, obviously there might be doors still closed but its better than a huge WTD in the way of one of the biggest mysteries in this wreck

Reactions: 1 user

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
the best bet no matter how risky is to go to Scotland road and go down the stairs to f deck which should grant us access, obviously there might be doors still closed but its better than a huge WTD in the way of one of the biggest mysteries in this wreck
agreed! our best bet is that the Pool is in better condition than the Turkish Baths. Hopefully the hallway isn't crushed!

Keith H

Oct 13, 2017
agreed! our best bet is that the Pool is in better condition than the Turkish Baths. Hopefully the hallway isn't crushed!
Looking at the wreck photo I don't think the hallway would be crushed but to get round from the linen room would be quite an obstacle course of debris and silt , let alone to get to the stairs down from Scotland road on E deck .

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Looking at the wreck photo I don't think the hallway would be crushed but to get round from the linen room would be quite an obstacle course of debris and silt , let alone to get to the stairs down from Scotland road on E deck .
Agreed Keith. Glad you are interested in the wreck, and to get into the pool too!!

Hmmm. I James Cameron actually did go down those stairs. In 2005. In that hallway, I'm sure, he saw an electric switchboard. I wonder what this was used for?
F-Deck, Electric SwitchBox portside 2005.JPG

Looks clear to me, But I can't tell. What're y'alls thoughts?

Keith H

Oct 13, 2017
Agreed Keith. Glad you are interested in the wreck, and to get into the pool too!!

Hmmm. I James Cameron actually did go down those stairs. In 2005. In that hallway, I'm sure, he saw an electric switchboard. I wonder what this was used for?
View attachment 75207

Looks clear to me, But I can't tell. What're y'alls thoughts?
Hi Cam , I think he went down the bottom of the grand stair case to get to the Turkish baths as there is a water tight bulkhead between them and the swimming pool with closed water tight doors ( see plan ) next to the bottom of the stairs are two fan rooms perhaps this is what this electrical switchgear is from.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Hi Cam , I think he went down the bottom of the grand stair case to get to the Turkish baths as there is a water tight bulkhead between them and the swimming pool with closed water tight doors ( see plan ) next to the bottom of the stairs are two fan rooms perhaps this is what this electrical switchgear is from.
Hi Keith!
I just went over the dive notes (please visit www.Titanicarchiveproject.com) and they did go down the Portside E-Deck stairs down into F-Deck.

Ok thanks for the confirmation of where they went. I knew they went behind the E-Deck stairs!!

Keith H

Oct 13, 2017
Hi Keith!
I just went over the dive notes (please visit www.Titanicarchiveproject.com) and they did go down the Portside E-Deck stairs down into F-Deck.

Ok thanks for the confirmation of where they went. I knew they went behind the E-Deck stairs!!
Hi Cam yeah just been looking at the Archive project I think you find they explore E & F decks around the forward hatch area , Due to the buckled bow section they could not get up Scotland road or to the squash court so the only way down to the Turkish bath was via the grand stair case , they did get into E deck via the 2nd class entrance area and got as far as one of the boiler room access doors to boiler room four but couldn't get down into it .