Titanic Symposium 2006 April 14 to 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wayne Keen

God that would be great. Of course, I will have to talk to my wife - alias "The Boss"

Wayne

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I hope we have a more international bunch this time around, but this is a matter of self-selection among the attendees.

Michael, how much should we be willing to raise, to ensure that TORONTO is well represented, next April??
smile.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Huh? Raise? Maybe it's too early in the morning but I don't get it. No matter, I'd love to see you there as well as Jason Tiller and perhaps a few other old friends I've known for years but have never had a change to meet face to face.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Sorry, Michael: I was thinking of "how much money should we be willing to raise". I forgot to include the "M" word in my post ("end of a long day", and "late at night" effects kicked in).

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Sorry, Michael: I was thinking of "how much money should we be willing to raise". <<

Worse comes to worse, you could always ring up one of my goons assocciates to make somebody an offer they can't refuse.
wink.gif

Jason, I'll be looking forward to meeting up with you provided Count Taxula doesn't take me to the cleaners. I'm setting aside some cash for this gathering.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
For me, it looks like I won't be able to attend the Symposium, this year. However, I will have to work on saving up time, and losts of cash, to attend the 2007 and/or 2008 Symposiums.

Jason, Mike: "start saving up money for all three years".
grin.gif

BTW, if a warm weather venue is needed, one should think about a future meeting in Long Beach, on board the Queen Mary.

San Diego would be another good venue. However, I don't think I can guarantee anyone a sleeping quarter on the Midway; the available bed spaces are rather small. One just has to ask my friend, "Irish Rose", about our visit to the ship, in July 2004: "Rose" found it quite amusing to see me having difficulty fitting into the tight bunk spaces.
Sorry, Jason: there goes the "Discounted Southern California Room Rate".
wink.gif
grin.gif

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Well, if we have a gathering in San Diego, I can think of a few places to stay for lodging that are out in my old stamping grounds. I think that one Easy 8 is still there under the overpass where I-5 transitions to I-8. There are a few other places going into Fashion Valley that are not too terribly unreasonable. Some of the spots that are cheap are also nice places to bring Smith and Wesson along for company.
lame.gif

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Hi Jason.

quote:

Oh, darn it all! Just when I was starting to get my hopes up!

Well, maybe we can see about arranging a "Rent-A-Bunk" from the Midway. You'll just have to adjust to a 5:00 AM wake-up, to allow for the daily preparations for the tourists visits.
You may also be given an "assistance reduction" rent rate, i.e. "Time to swab the Deck!!".
grin.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

Actually, for a San Diego venue, I'll have to arrange, for Jason and Michael, for a "Bahia Hotel Venue": it might be hard, at first, but I think they'd get used to staying at Mission Bay, and being within walking distance of the waters (just don't say you don't like being under the Lindbergh Field take-off path).

So how about it, Michael: when can I expect the Symposium to come to Southern California?
smile.gif
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I don't know if a symposium would ever come to Southern California. I wouldn't have any objection to it. I was stationed there from 1979 to 1996 and I might even spend an extra day or so to check out some of my old haunts. Some are still there, but one of my duty stations...RTC San Diego is being effectively razed into the ground.

Lindburgh field is one I'm familier with, dicey approaches and all. Pilot's don't much care for the place, especially since it leaves zero room for arror.

I suppose it would depend on whether anyone else would be warm to the idea and whether or not they could even afford it. The USS Midway would be like home sweet home to me. Even though I never served on her, two of my ships were aircraft carriers and I know quite a bit about them.

All else aside, for an academic function, the Midway could well have some good places for a meet, particularly the ready rooms, and it might be worthwhile to offer a public presentation if it can be arranged far enough in advance. (And if we could be sure of who would show up!)

For an overview of what the Midway has to offer, try clicking on The San Diego Aircraft Carrier Museum.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
quote:

You'll just have to adjust to a 5:00 AM wake-up, to allow for the daily preparations for the tourists visits.

No problem with that. I'm used to waking up at
that time during the week.

quote:

Actually, for a San Diego venue, I'll have to arrange, for Jason and Michael, for a "Bahia Hotel Venue"

Sounds good to me. Give me a place by the ocean and I'm happy as a clam!
grin.gif

quote:

All else aside, for an academic function, the Midway could well have some good places for a meet, particularly the ready rooms, and it might be worthwhile to offer a public presentation if it can be arranged far enough in advance.

I think that would be very interesting, plus it would be great to see the Midway in person. I for one, would definitely attend.

Interesting site there, thanks for the link, Mike.​

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Okay!! Now we know where will will be celebrating:
1. The Encyclopedia Titanica 10th Anniversary;
2. A Future Convention for TI and/or THS;
3. The Titanic Symposium;
4. The "Welcome Back to San Diego, Michael Standard" event; and
5. Jason Tiller's 30th Birthday.

Guess it's time for me to start checking the Toronto to San Diego or Toronto to Los Angeles airfares for April 2006.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.