Titanic Tall Tales

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
It was pitch black. We were seated in 3 rows of 2-3-2 and I was on the right side of the row of 3. The raft went over a submerged rock on the left side and capsized to the right, throwing everybody but me into the river; I ended-up under the raft. The current was not very strong fortunately at that point but in order to get to safety, one or two of the others had to climb on top of the upturned raft and one of then stepped on my head which he/she could not see because of the floor of the raft. I had come-up underneath the raft almost immediately because of the life vest and able to breathe the trapped sir. But to swim under and over the inflated rim was difficult with the life raft on and my first 2 attempts failed. Then I recalled what they had briefed us and used the raft for leverage and pushed the rim upwards to get under it and crawl/swim through. My experience as a diver, especially my favourite night diving, certainly helped to avoid panic. I was completely unhurt but among the others tossed into the water, a couple received rock scrapes and knocks.

Certainly sounds like something out of a B-movie. But AFAIK, there were no documented true Titanic widowers, were there? I don't have access to my copy of Lord's ANTR right now, but I have a dim recollection (which may be wrong) from his list of lost and surviving passengers, there was a male survivor and female victim from 2 people with the same surname. Of course, the 'male' might have been a child.
I have it. What do you need?

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
I have it. What do you need?
Thanks. At the end of the book (I think hardbound copies only) there is a list of survivors and victims of the Titanic all together but with the survivors' names in italics. Can you please check that to see if there any duo with the same surname but where the male survived and the female did not? They may not have been a couple - eg perhaps a mother and son.

I am not 100% I saw this but just a hunch.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Thanks. At the end of the book (I think hardbound copies only) there is a list of survivors and victims of the Titanic all together but with the survivors' names in italics. Can you please check that to see if there any duo with the same surname but where the male survived and the female did not? They may not have been a couple - eg perhaps a mother and son.

Sure, be right back. And don't worry, my paperback has the list too

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Can you please check that to see if there any duo with the same surname but where the male survived and the female did not? They may not have been a couple - eg perhaps a mother and son.

I found one:
Weisz, Mr. Leopold (died)
Weisz, Mrs. Matilda
this is the only couple I could find so far

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
I found one:
Weisz, Mr. Leopold (died)
Weisz, Mrs. Matilda
this is the only couple I could find so far
Hang on, that's very common - I mean the husband dying and the wife surviving. Astor, Thayer, Ryerson, Widener etc. What I was asking was whether there was any case of an other way around situation where only the husband survived; I don't think so but will wait to be updated.
That story contributed by Steven C about a husband lulling his wife to sleep in their cabin and then escaping in a lifeboat himself certainly sounds like a tall tale.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
What I was asking was whether there was any case of an other way around situation where only the husband survived; I don't think so but will wait to be updated.
That story contributed by Steven C about a husband lulling his wife to sleep in their cabin and then escaping in a lifeboat himself certainly sounds like a tall tale.
oooooh ok, Lemme look

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
I think I got one:

Angle, Mr. William
Angle, Mrs.

I found another!
Clarke, Mr. Charles V.
Clarke, Mrs. Ada Maria
Sorry Cam, but you are getting mixed up again. The ones in Italics are survivors. In your examples, both women survived and so their names are in Italics and the men's names, both of whom were lost, are in standard font. I am looking to see if there was any reverse situation ie the man's name in italics and the woman's in normal lettering. I don't think so.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Sorry Cam, but you are getting mixed up again. The ones in Italics are survivors. In your examples, both women survived and so their names are in Italics and the men's names, both of whom were lost, are in standard font. I am looking to see if there was any reverse situation ie the man's name in italics and the woman's in normal lettering. I don't think so.
ohhh ok. Sorry bout that. Ok, I'll look again

Nov 14, 2005
Hang on, that's very common - I mean the husband dying and the wife surviving. Astor, Thayer, Ryerson, Widener etc. What I was asking was whether there was any case of an other way around situation where only the husband survived; I don't think so but will wait to be updated.
I believe its a tall tale. I remember when I ran across that story my first reaction was "Wow what a bastard". But then when I thought about it it didn't make much sense. That would have been a well known juicy scandolous story that would have been covered a lot. Plus if she didn't survive how would anyone else know she was told to go back to sleep? He certainly wouldn't have blabbed it out. Just another tall tale..like mummy curses and such.

Reactions: 1 user

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Hi Arun. Been a while, eh?

I have some more. This one is utterly ridiculous.

a guy saw the iceberg, and shouted up to the lookouts. They didn’t hear him. The guy somehow knew how to get up the mast ladder into the Crow’s Nest and they were asleep! The guy said he rang the bell.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
I have some more. This one is utterly ridiculous.

a guy saw the iceberg, and shouted up to the lookouts. They didn’t hear him. The guy somehow knew how to get up the mast ladder into the Crow’s Nest and they were asleep! The guy said he rang the bell.

That story came from Louis Klein.
He was never aboard Titanic and made that up in 1912.

Reactions: 1 users

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Thanks IG. I believe this thread is about tall tales by actual survivors and not 'third parties'
Here.
When one of the lifeboats was lowering, they discovered the plug was not in. People began stuffing things into the hole while they looked for the plug. One lady pulled off her underwear and stuffed it into the plug hole.