Titanic The Long Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
by Diane Hoh. Has anyone read it? I've had it for about 2 years but haven't got round to looking at it yet. I plan to start it as soon as I've finished "Portrait of a Young Forger" by Marian Pretzel. Just wondered if it's OK? If not, I'll leave it another 2 years.

Cheers,

Boz

T

Tommy Belhasen

I have this book. It isn't too bad, but it is predictable as to who lives and dies. One of the main plots is similar to the plot in the movie Titanic (first-class girl engaged to someone she doesn't love, falls in love with an artist traveling first-class), but it is better in that it doesn't have a romance between first- and third-class (One of the things I found improbable about the Cameron movie). Or anyone posing nude and being chased through a flooded dining room by someone with a gun. It is also good in that it depicts the feelings of people in the boats as the Titanic sank. But, if you want a better book, find "A Night to Remember."

Wow, Iain, you certainly know how to pick 'em.

While agreeing wholeheartedly that ANTR is a much better book than Hoh's 'The Long Night', it's hardly comparing like with like. TLN is a story of teenage romance, written for the youth fiction market and just doesn't stack up against Lord's work on any level (except perhaps in their both being accessibly written). A better comparison would be with Candice Ransom's 'Nicole' and the newly revised edition of Richard Peck's 'Amanda/Miranda', or other period romances for young adults.

Personally, I didn't think much of the book at all even while noting the parallels to Titanic's story and that Hoh had taken some care with research. (Shame that the cover artist didn't: going by the amount of gold braid in evidence, most of Titanic's senior officers were away in a lifeboat well before the sinking!)

It's only fair to add that the feedback I got from young friends (the book's intended readership) was mostly positive, backing up Hoh's catalogue and accolades in that she knows how to hit the spot with her readers. The same test group didn't think much of the sequel 'Remembering the Titanic'.

As for me, I'll stick with my favourites of Hansen and Bainbridge for now.

Cheers, F

Nice to hear from you again, F!

I've got the Bainbridge book too, started reading it but just couldn't get into it. I'll have to give it another go. I might save the TLN then for another time as I've just bought 'Voyage on the Great Titanic' by Ellen Emerson White. Yes, NOW I know it's a kid's book but I didn't know that when I asked the smirking bloke behind the counter in the shop. I said it was for a birthday present for a kid I know.

Even though I still have the mind of a kid anyway.

Cheers,

Boz

Inger Sheil

Fi - tremendous to see you back in action, waving from a distant shore. You've been missed.

You're quite right about the excess braid on show - that appears to be Wilde making a swift get away, assisted by one of the juniors (Moody, perhaps?). Usual visual plagiarism of Marschall's work, and is that girl pointing out the bleeding obvious that the ship is sinking?

~ Ing

I've always felt that Tony Aspler's "Titanic" was the best piece of fiction dealing the the subject. The characters are interesting and the story plausible. Everyone should check it out if they haven't already.

Jason.

H

Halsey Laurien Kessner

I have read The Long NIght. I liked it and absolutely fell in love with it for a while but looking back on it I don't hold it in such high esstem anymore. There is a sequel and I've read it but I wouldn't recamend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.