Titanic: The Musical

J

Jim Kalafus

>Was the performance really that bad or was it just her?

Yes and yes.

The Hyphen by Justus Forman perhaps?

Yes and yes.

G

George L. Lorton

Howdy Ryan,

I've seen the movie, which is funny. Was the play a rehash of the movie script?

Actually I think the play came out before the Movie. This was 1984 to 85 when Sis's Drama Class did Clue. So maybe the movie was based on the play?

Jim
The Hyphen by Justus Forman perhaps?

Yes and yes.

Forman was the only playwright I remembered being on the Lusitania with Frohman. Plus their surnames are similar another clue to prod my memory. I remember more then I thought I did.
Yes I did not use the link. Did Forman also do Perlmutter In Society? Or was that another
playwright aboard the Lusitania as well.

G

George L. Lorton

I remember reading about Mr Forman being on the Lusitania serving Charles Frohman in some manner from Last Voyage Of The Lusitania.

I just remembered why Forman was aboard. Forman read scripts for Plays the Maestro (Frohman). My Memory awakens.

Ryan Thompson

Ryan Thompson

George: The movie was released in '85, for what its worth. I ought to queue it on Netflix. I have a grainy VHS tape at home, taped off HBO or some other premium a few years after the release. The recording also features all the different endings.

G

George L. Lorton

Howdy Ryan,

Yep that's the Movie. I had forgotten about the different ending til you reminded me. The version of Clue my Sister was in had one ending. So It might of been a different script or they might of cut it down. She was an alcoholic Mrs. Peacock.

J

jean9

I saw the Belfast Operatic Company's production of Titanic The Muscial at the Grand Opera House, Belfast during the recent 100th anniversary commemorations in April 2012. Although an amateur production I thought it was excellent. Before the production began the audience were asked to stand for one minute to remember those lost in the tragedy whilst a solo violinist played Nearer My God to Thee. I can tell you that brought a tear to my eye.

S

SabanLee

Hey Trent..
I hear the musical its great man. I like the titanic theme musical . Its very good man.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
It is finally coming back to Toronto, in late July. I'm looking forward to seeing it!

M

Michaela Famfulikova

Jason, hi, have ya already had the chance to see a new version of Titanic the Musical?:)

E

Eric Paddon

To update this thread. There was never a Broadway revival but I did get to see a one-night concert production featuring most of the original Broadway cast in February 2014 at Lincoln Center in New York. They performed the entire libretto and songs with no sets and no costumes. It proved once again the beauty and strength of the score itself.

Titanic may never get a Broadway revival because of the problems in recreating the logistics of its three tiered-set. In fact that's why a more reduced cost "concert" version that doesn't rely on the expensive sets tends to make the rounds more.

I have several "bootleg" production recordings of the show. Two audio recordings and one video recording of its original Broadway production and also a 2000 recording from its National Tour as well as full audio of the above Lincoln Center concert. While "Titanic" didn't turn out to be a long-running blockbuster Broadway hit it did manage to succeed enough so that it never became forgotten like so many failed musicals over the decades have and that in many respects was quite an accomplishment given how the odds seemed stacked against it.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Hi Michaela,
Jason, hi, have ya already had the chance to see a new version of Titanic the Musical?:)
Pardon me but I did not see your post until now, for some unexplainable reason. To your question, unfortunately not. Personal issues prevented me from seeing it and it was only in Toronto, for a limited engagement. One of these days, I hope to see it live. :)

Last edited:
R

robert warren

Is it just me or is there something ghoulish and off track about making a musical based on a tragedy that killed 1500 people? Ive never seen this and just dont understand how you can put "words and music' to this event. Like how do you weave these elements together? To me it seems about as distasteful as a musical about 9/11.

E

Eric Paddon

I think you're bringing an assumption that it was presented as a "musical comedy" in the tradition of classic musicals of the more distant past and that is not the case. "Titanic" reflects more of the trends starting in the 70s-80s of being more sung-through not quite operatic tales that deal with somewhat darker subject matter in an intelligent fashion (and musical theater is also a more subjective medium as well compared to the more realistic one of film; this is why the fictionalizations that are done in "Titanic" the musical don't bother me the way they did in Cameron). I think before judging it, it's more important to see exactly what it was and how it was done. The end result, far from being distasteful ended up being quite a moving experience for me.