Ajmal Dar

Jan 5, 2018
Nottingham
Hi Gemma,
I agree, the fire-induced bunker collapse theory by Maloney is laughable. The black mark does not fall in line with the smouldering bunker at all.

Regards,

Ajmal

Ajmal Dar

Jan 5, 2018
Nottingham
Hi,

Boiler room 5 was flooding also, so if the bulkhead between 6 and 5 did rupture due to fire-induced weakening it would have made no difference at all. Even if the bulkhead did hold up, and think it did, Titanic would have sunk. The claim that the blsck mark is where the fire was is laughable. Essentially, this is a documentary foer people obsessed with conspiracies and a money -spinner.

Best regards,

Ajmal

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
Every now and then someone tries to make a quick buck by coming-up with a "new" theory about why the Titanic really sank. More often than not, it is a rehash of tried and tired old theories that have been debunked several times over but seem to hang about because of their nuisance value. Coal fires, brittle steel, insurance scams, switched ships and everything else but the iceberg that really sank the Titanic. Really.

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
It's all very frustrating simply because a lot of people who come up with these kinds of theories have studied the Titanic for what--a total of 10 minutes.Then the rest of us who know better have even more work cut out for us explaining and undoing the damage that this stuff unleashes on the general public.

Reactions: Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
I said this before but even the own documentary's graphics disprove the myth it tries to claim happened as aVFX scene shows the smear forward of Boiler Room 6 (no where near the actual bunker).
Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 08.12.02.png

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Hear Hear! I had conversations with people who googled " what is Titanic?" and immediately proclaim themselves Experts in Edwardian Shipbuilding, Mechanics, Historical traditions, Maritime convention, social reactions etc.

Now we got dozens of younger Titanic experts out there believing this and other myths such as lack of keys in crow's nest dooming the ship (it didn't) and passengers locked behind gates at gunpoint (they weren't).

Last edited:

Ajmal Dar

Jan 5, 2018
Nottingham
I would be embarrased to claim the black mark was due to the bunker 5 fire when bunker 5 was a long distance away from the black mark.
I thought the documentary was embarrasing, frankly.

Regards, Ajmal

Reactions: Harland Duzen
A

Aaron_2016

Was there any discussion on the forward coal bunker and coal reserve?

coalforward.png

bunker01.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
The trouble is (and I have fallen into the trap myself) Google has changed the nature of research. In years gone by people put the hard yards in by trawling through microfiche in a backroom of a library in a town near nowhere looking for a small bit of information. Today all you need to do is google the Titanic inquiry, a few reports here and there and read someone elses book and not only are you a researcher but an expert.

Don't get me wrong. Google has its merits to help skim the surface but the task of finding what little undiscovered primary source information is still out there takes dedication, patience and a lot more than a computer.

If only I had the time and the energy. :)

Lyle

Jul 8, 2017
I find it extraordinary that a HUGE effort made by a number of noted Titanic historians to create a pamphlet that is utterly damning of this Bunker Fire TV program should be offered free to anyone willing to sift through its details. I certainly hope someone paid you guys for this work, because it's quite excellent. However, I Googled this title and other than the link to the website where the .pdf is offered, the rest of the links connect to news stories about this show.

The smudge seen in those photos looks like soot that's found a route of escape, even far away from the coal bunker fire. My theory entirely, no assumption of facts. I don't know if Titanic ever went through a rainstorm, but if it was strong enough, the soot in question would be washed away. Besides, its position in the hull means it has no relevance to the iceberg damage--simply too high!

I found the show entertaining and it had some good graphics, but as a friend once told me, "Why should the truth stand in the way of a good story?" I think William Randolph Hearst would heartily agree.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
The trouble is (and I have fallen into the trap myself) Google has changed the nature of research. In years gone by people put the hard yards in by trawling through microfiche in a backroom of a library in a town near nowhere looking for a small bit of information. Today all you need to do is google the Titanic inquiry, a few reports here and there and read someone elses book and not only are you a researcher but an expert.
As Weird as it may be reading this by younger members, I wish I could have done my research like this (the words in bold above), but the problem now is things like Money, distance, but mainly after 100+ years, everyone's beaten me to all the info (like numbers, dates, locations etc).

Now the only evidence still out there are photographs and personal accounts in the form of postcards, family photos and letters hidden in Attics and boxes all the way from Belfast to New York!

If only I had the Time, Energy and Money (or a Time-Machine whichever's better)!

At least others (like Aaron_2016) are lucky enough to be in close proximity of their local offices and share their discoveries with us. :)

Reactions: Rob Lawes
Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Thank you! I think I can say it also speaking for the other authors.

No one of us get paid for it. However it was worth to put the claims right with evidence.

Reactions: Lyle
Jan 5, 2001
Glad you enjoyed it, Lyle!

Faced with a position where pretty much every substantive claim made in the programme was false, we felt it was very worthwhile creating the paper for those who might have seen the programme and been misled.

Best wishes

Mark.

Reactions: Lyle
A

Aaron_2016

Trouble is, Belfast has received so much attention that several former beauty spots are now packed with tourists and places like the pump house and dry dock (which used to have free access) are now £5 for admission. Good for business I guess, although I'm not sure what they are doing to the pump house building at the moment. Hope they don't demolish too much. I took these photos last week when the Oriana and Boudicca came in.

Belfast01a.JPG

Belfast1b.JPG

Belfast01b.JPG

cruise01a.JPG

cruise1a.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Apparently they possibly adding a visitor's centre for the HMS Caroline? But why attact / demolish part of the Pump House when you could just have a moveable Vistor's hut or another building for it.

Belfast's Titanic Quarter does make some odd decisions in my opinion since I discovered they tore down several historic H&W buildings for the future installation of the Titanic Quarter.

(Those who don't like historic demolition please avert your eyes)

Back To Topic!

A

Aaron_2016

I had marked the reserve coal and cargo in red in the left picture. The picture on the right just shows where the black mark is.

Looking at the deck layouts, where is the 'coal reserve'? It looks like the mail and coal reserve were on the same deck.

coalreserve.png

coalreserve2.png

Also what if the fire in the coal bunker(s) had warped the side that was against the watertight doors? Would a red hot, dented, warped bunker against the watertight door cause the door to jam, or burn out the wires and make the lights go out? I heard the doors closed slowly and when they reached a foot or so near the ground they dropped fast. Would the rapid force of the door slamming near the bottom cause the metal in the damaged bunker to fracture? Maybe Fred Barrett wasn't looking at iceberg damage in the bunker in boiler room 5, but really the effects of the doors slamming, the wall fracturing, and the water coming through from boiler room 6. Also I hear the ship was gradually bending as she took on water. Would the bending of the ship cause the wall to weaken and buckle open?