Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
Surprise, surprise. Yet more rubbish ..........

British commercial broadcaster Channel 5 has commissioned the feature documentary 10 Mistakes that Sank the Titanic from London- and Ireland-based prodco Blink Films.

The 90-minute film follows the iconic ship’s journey from construction to catastrophe, revealing the cascade of events that sealed the Titanic’s fate.

Key errors explored include: the procedure for fixing rivets into the ship’s bows, the delay in construction that pushed its voyage into the iceberg season, and the fact that the lookouts on watch had no access to binoculars.

“The story of the supposedly ‘unsinkable’, cutting-edge ocean liner designed specifically to survive a collision with an iceberg remains one of the most enduring tales of our time. Audiences may know some of the details about the catastrophe, but this program reveals all the key errors, and how they combined, to cause one of the greatest ever maritime disasters,” Dan Chambers, co-founder and creative director at Tin Roof Media-owned Blink Films, said in a statement.

10 Mistakes that Sank the Titanic is produced and directed by Mike Ibeji. Executive producers are Chambers and Alison Turner.

The documentary was commissioned by Lucy Willis for Viacom-owned Channel 5, and is being distributed internationally by Drive.
(Bangs head against wall)

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
Channel 5, the BBC and a certain Journalist who will remain nameless are not the only ones who have indulged in speculation, Seamus. There are a few much nearer to home who have been unable to resist the same temptation to re-write history...particularly in the art of "clock-watching" and aligning the SS Californian with the line -of-sight of Joseph Boxhall.;)

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
At the present on UK TV:YESTERDAY program are doing some of the life stories of passengers on Titanic. It sounds quite a genuine documentary. (Sorry to say nothing about exploding boilers, coal bunker fire, poor quality rivets and steel plates etc!)
Are there others have there point of view on the program?

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
Sam, I really hope you don't mind me asking this but in recent years have you ever been approached to take part in a documentary film about the Titanic...
Funny you should ask. In 2012 I was interviewed by someone from the 'Weather Channel' here in the States who came over with a crew to add to a special on Titanic in their series on How Weather Affected History, or some title like that. The part of my interview that never made the final cut was when I said that the weather was absolutely perfect, with almost unlimited visibility, zero wind and a flat calm sea.

Now why do you think that part was not in the final cut?

Rancor

Jun 23, 2017
Surprise, surprise. Yet more rubbish ..........

(Bangs head against wall)
Could be worse... there was no mention of the coal bunker fire!

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
Could be worse... there was no mention of the coal bunker fire!
Aye, but the press release only told us what three of these geniuses ten "reasons" where !

I'll bet they sneak the nonsense about the coal bunker fire in somehow. It's infuriating how this rubbish has become mainstream in the last few years.

I wonder if they will go so far as to indulge Lightoller's pulp fiction writing granddaughter and her bizarre claims about steering "errors" ?

Tim Aldrich

Jan 26, 2018
Wisconsin
I'll bet they sneak the nonsense about the coal bunker fire in somehow. It's infuriating how this rubbish has become mainstream in the last few years.
All those who are interested in Titanic are at different levels of knowledge. Some people have seen Cameron's movie and don't know anything more. The weak rivets/coal bunker fire/no binoculars stuff may seem like a major revelation to them. Have your evidence and sources handy for the typical "shockumentary" stuff so you can point the newer people in the right direction. As long as there's a buck to be made these shows will never go away.

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
All those who are interested in Titanic are at different levels of knowledge. Some people have seen Cameron's movie and don't know anything more. The weak rivets/coal bunker fire/no binoculars stuff may seem like a major revelation to them. Have your evidence and sources handy for the typical "shockumentary" stuff so you can point the newer people in the right direction. As long as there's a buck to be made these shows will never go away.
I did so quite literally a couple of months back ! :D

Every few weeks, I meet up with some auld pals to play Dungeons & Dragons (stop laughing all of you !) and we end up chatting about all sorts of random stuff. Anyway, we somehow got onto my interest in RMS Titanic and a pal of mine expanded upon how the rudder was "far too small" and that is what snookered the ship.

"Where did you get that idea from ?" I asked.
"Well, it was in a documentary I once saw." says my pal.

Now, I like to do things thoroughly. So the next time we met up I actually just brought my copy of "On A Sea of Glass" with me :cool: and showed him the relevant sub-section they have that busts the myth about the rudder being "too small". Additionally, although they have no real interest in the ship, they thought some of the photographs in the book were amazing.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
At the present on UK TV:YESTERDAY program are doing some of the life stories of passengers on Titanic. It sounds quite a genuine documentary. (Sorry to say nothing about exploding boilers, coal bunker fire, poor quality rivets and steel plates etc!)
Are there others have there point of view on the program?
Just to respond* to the above about Titanic: Stories From The Deep ;
  • I would say that it feels like a breath of fresh air to see a documentary not focusing on either the coal fire or trying to blame someone but instead focusing on less-famous passengers and the personal artefacts recovered from the wreck.
  • I was excited to see footage from Titanic: Honour and Glory appearing in the show (even if it wasn't original footage but instead stock footage from some of their previous videos and Q&A's.)
  • I personally feel it has a similar style to the old National Geographic or Death of a Dream documentaries, but my only criticism of it (so far as of seeing 2 episodes) is a slight overuse of repeated stock footage and the music sounding a bit too similar to that of the 1997 film, although the latter is petty at best.
  • It's great to see Inger Sheil, Bill Sauder, and Tad Fitch among those currently presenting / staring in it.
Currently I would give it a positive review and say it's quite good! :)

* Hello everyone!

Reactions: Tim Aldrich

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
As much the TV UK Yesterday on passengers stories are of interest. But I think you need to see the program again and certainly I would.
The only odd mistake are clips of the Olympic ship and not the Titanic!

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
Seeing the UK TV Monday 21 documentary on Fred Fleet and Robert Hichens which I don't know was an old documentary. which I thought was good. Mind you had to keep a wake as they kept changing from the other. As the wife got confused who was doing the shooting or hanging!

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Seeing the UK TV Monday 21 documentary on Fred Fleet and Robert Hichens which I don't know was an old documentary. which I thought was good. Mind you had to keep a wake as they kept changing from the other. As the wife got confused who was doing the shooting or hanging!
Aside from what felt like a tiny shift in the presentation, I was overly happy with it...aside from when they showed the Lusitania at New York (below) as the Titanic, twice! o_O

CalmBeforeLusitania1_large.jpg

Back to Topic!

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
Think I will need to add you, Harland, to my list of "talking heads" for when I get the millions together for my ultimate Titanic documentary series ;)

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
Yes you are right about the Lusitania and the odd clip of Olympic to.
I am not to sure if Sally Nilsson got it quite right to say Hitchens pulled the wheel hard to the left to turn Port!
What did surprise me In her book she never mention about officers not on the bridge. Saw an officer asleep on a bench? Even to the point where Hitchens had to leave the wheel to find a officer! Fleet and Lee had given ice warning twice before, reported it three times with no change of course or reducing speed! What is the true in this I don't know. However makes interesting reading indeed!

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Think I will need to add you, Harland, to my list of "talking heads" for when I get the millions together for my ultimate Titanic documentary series ;)
Thank you!

My one condition is you don't sacrifice me so Scotland wins the World Cup! :D

On a slightly serious note, I'm fine with the "Olympic departing New York" footage being used since they are sister ships and largely identical, plus I understand that directors and editors can't just keep using the same footage over and over again without it getting irritating to a viewer.

HOWEVER in doing a Titanic documentary (or one in any other topic), accuracy is important and in using photographs or footage of ships that are clearly not* the Titanic, like a Cunard Liner shows that the makers either don't care or aren't serious enough to do the proper research. It only shows the show is accurate on a surface level (e.g. it's a 4-funneled liner).

This would be like if a documentary on the Mary Rose kept using photographs of the Vasa. Both would show a shipwreck that capsized but were later raised and restored, but the two are very different ships with very different stories.

As of writing this, I still have a positive view on the show, I am just unhappy that many shows and people keep making this very big mistake.

Hope that makes sense and back to topic!

*Obviously the photo being the Lusitania or at least a Cunard Liner, the photo being taken in New York and not looking anything like Southampton and the Giant Cunard Sign (which we know should be the White Star Line) should tell someone who at least has a little understanding of the Titanic that it's not the same ship.

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
Thank you!

My one condition is you don't sacrifice me so Scotland wins the World Cup! :D
I'll need to have a good long think about that !

I am not to sure if Sally Nilsson got it quite right to say Hitchens pulled the wheel hard to the left to turn Port!
What did surprise me In her book she never mention about officers not on the bridge. Saw an officer asleep on a bench? Even to the point where Hitchens had to leave the wheel to find a officer! Fleet and Lee had given ice warning twice before, reported it three times with no change of course or reducing speed! What is the true in this I don't know. However makes interesting reading indeed!
Sally Nilsson's claims are not taken seriously by any reputable historians of the Titanic. Her "evidence" is based upon a fake crewman Luis Klein's "story" and other "evidence" she claimed to have uncovered but has curiously never published.

If you use this forum's search facility you can read a thread from several years back where Inger Shiel thoroughly deconstructed Nilsson's entire case for "ignored warnings" and "drunken officers". It's complete fiction.

Last edited: