Titanic The Nightmare and the Dream music

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
This has been plaguing me for 18 years now. Does anyone know which music was used during the 1986 TVS (UK) documentary "Titanic - The Nightmare and the Dream"? I think the music played during the sinking sequence was by Wagner (?)

TVS lost their broadcast license c.1992 and I have no idea where their archives are to ask them!

Thanks!

Paul

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Presumably the music will be listed in the end credits. You can still buy this docu on vhs tape - Amazon.co.uk have it listed new and second hand for as little as £4.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
I have it on VHS anyway.... the only mention of music in the credits is "original music". I have heard some of it before in other shows and concerts, so some of it isn't stock or specially composed music.

Paul

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Heard of the music anywhere else like on other Titanic movies etc?

It would be easier to find out from other movies IF they had the same music.....

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
I've heard some of the music used on other TV shows that use stock or library music, but not on films that have specially composed scores.

Best wishes
Paul

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Absolutely, which is why I was asking if anyone recognised it! TVS archives are unobtainable at present, so the only way is to ask others!

Paul

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Yeah, I have not watched the show, so I don't know how the music sounded like.....

Have you tried listening to those 'Music Played On Board the Titanic' CDs? They may be of some help.

The footage of Alvin's first successful dive was shown with Dvorak's New World Symphony playing. When I first saw this documentary in 1986, I remember it coming up on the subtitles that it was Dvorak playing and it was the first time I had heard the piece knowing it was the New World Symphony, having heard it on bread adverts prior to then.

I feel like going and watching the video I have of that documentary again now!

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Do you know which part of the programme this music was used in? Was it at the start, where the stock footage from SOS Titanic was used, or was it the piece played during the trawl around the debris field?

Cheers

Paul

John Lynott

Mar 31, 2000
Addingham, Yorkshire
Having just looked at the video last night, Sospiri is played in the opening sequence, with the shot of the Titanic in harbour (I think it actually is the Aquitania) - it then merges into something Wagneresque - and from the 43 min mark to about 45 mins as the mini-subs skim the debris field. I would be interested to hear if anyone know the music played during Frank Prentice's telling of the ship's final moments which then follows.

Dec 23, 2017
Still super sad that after all these years, the best original uncut footage from the 85/86 expeditions is in this doc that's 30 years old. I would love to get the unedited version of the black and white 85 footage that runs for 12 minutes.