Titanic The Ship Magnificent

T

Trevor William Sturdy

After getting Volume 2 in the middle of last year, I was finally able to get over to the Maritime Museum and pick up volume 1 today..Another brilliant book...

Regards.
Trev.

T

Trevor William Sturdy

With what I have, and these 2 volumes, unless there is a guaranteed "grassy knoll" involved, thats my collection complete I think...Thank You Gents..Sincere Regards.Trev.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
You beat me to it, Trevor - I was going to pop in to post that both volumes are now available at the Maritime Museum.

I have some photos taken at Dan and Steve's talk here last year - I'll try to get them resized and posted.

Reactions: 1 user
T

Trevor William Sturdy

Sorry to steal you're thunder on that one Inger, was just so pleased to finally get volume 1 after having it on order for 8 months..ha ha..The lady at The Store advised me they only had limited numbers so anyone interested had better be quick.

My whole house smells of varnish at the moment as I am building a nice little hinged topped wooden box to keep those 2 volumes safe in...

Nice to hear from you and I really am sorry I missed Dan & Steve's talk, will look forward to the pictures.

Regards.
Trev.

Steven Hall

Aug 8, 2001
I pleased that Volume 1 arrived.
The talk at the Museum went well. If they want to organize another talk sometime in the future I'd be happy to attend. I'm sure Daniel would also.
The second printing has almost sold out.
Next time I'm down in Sydney, Daniel, myself, Inger and yourself can all meet-up for a coffee or an evening together.

Steve

T

Trevor William Sturdy

img00066_copy1.jpg

I have made my books a new home.....
happy.gif

Steven Hall

Aug 8, 2001
It is coming up to a year since the books were released.
I hope that those that purchased the volumes have found they've meet / lived-up too their expectations.
On a slightly different note; the 100 year anniversary is just 36 months off.
People interested in arranging meet-ups, travel, accommodations etc will soon need to seriously look at making arrangements.
Trevor, that's quite a flash case you’ve made there mate.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>> hope that those that purchased the volumes have found they've meet / lived-up too their expectations.<<

They have as far as I'm concered. If you have that additional volumn in the works, I'll snap it up as soon as it becomes available.

D

David Bubb

I have two questions which I've been intending to post, but I somehow have managed to get sidetracked whenever I come to this site. Both questions involve photographs in the front of Volume 1 of TTSM. In one of the photos of TITANIC in Southampton, the caption points out what are explained to be propeller blades. I'm certainly not the expert that the authors are, however, there seems to be something not quite right about the suggestion that these are propeller blades. The position seems a bit awkward. Can anyone verify or provide information to suggest that there is even a logical reason as to why there would be propeller blades there? She wasn't in drydock.
Secondly, several pictures in the same section suggest the TITANIC was "dressed" on Thursday, not Good Friday. Again, I am curious as to which it actually was. Every other caption I've ever seen states that she was dressed on Friday not Thursday. I know the majority is not always right(as elections often point out) but it does seem curious. Answers to either question greatly appreciated in advance!

Dec 7, 2000
David

From memory, there was a post card of Titanic that was posted on Friday, showing the Titanic "yesterday" (i.e Thursday) and the photo shows the ship dressed in flags.

Regards,

Daniel.

Steven Hall

Aug 8, 2001
Daniel is correct re: dressed in flags.
Regarding the props seen dockside, this was covered in the book 'Titanic & Olympic, The Truth Behind The Conspiracy.
In a photograph taken the day after Titanic departed, these props weren't there! Currently there is no supporting evidence these were actually loaded aboard Titanic.
I would however have thought with the dock as busy as it was on the day, why unnecessarily clatter it up with these blades / rail wagons.
Interestingly the berth had previously been occupied by Olympic.

D

David Bubb

Very interesting and thanks to those who helped to settle my curiosity. Steve,if in fact the propeller blades were loaded on TITANIC, is there any idea/speculation for what ship they were intended?
I assume that this postcard must have been discovered fairly recently since the many other images I've seen indicated Good Friday. Is that correct?

Steven Hall

Aug 8, 2001
Just quickly David (I'm away for a few days tomorrow with cricket) re the prop blades - perhaps they’d been shipped down to Southampton on board Titanic. So they were ‘perhaps’ in the process of being unloaded onto the LSWR (London South-western Railway) wagons for transport elsewhere.
If they were a full set of Olympic class propellers (a spare set brought with them from Belfast), no facility at Southampton was available too have fitted them even if the circumstances required it.
It is a mystery indeed.
I’ll have a look into it further in a few days.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I would think that if the spare props were shipped anywhere, it would have been to Harland And Wolff, which had the only drydock capable of taking the Olympic class liners. If they weren't sets for the Olympics, they may have been intended for other ships.

Keep in mind that the photos show spare blades but this doesn't speak to which ship they were made for.