Titanic theme pubs good places to meet

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
There doesn't seem to be a good place to put this, but I thought I'd just let you know that, when I visited the Annual Beatles convention in Liverpool a few days ago, I dropped by a pub near the Cavern called "The White Star", and it has a great set of Titanic/white star memorabilia - the website is http://www.thewhitestar.co.uk

I also found a pub called "Titanic Bar" in Benidorm, Spain (don't know the web address, sorry), but its near the Alfa apartments where we stayed. The bar area is full of posters, newspapers, postcards of Titanic that people have sent in from around the world...some of them ("The Sphere" copies for instance) are quite rare. Good place for a pint, and to get out of the blazing sun!

Best wishes

Paul

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Paul:
Quite awhile ago we had a somewhat related thread in the General Titanica area that you might find interesting:

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/discus/messages/5921/10296.html

Thanks for the website on the White Star bar. Looks like a great place to drop by. I've been a Bass Ale enthusiast ever since learning that so much of it sank with Titanic, but that Titanic-Captain Smith brand looks like a kick. Much stronger than our typical US brands.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Here in North London, opposite the entrance to Highgate Tube, there are two Titanic themed places to dine - one is the Titanic Cafe, the other is the Titanic Cafe and Meze Bar. Both incorporate the ship into the design of their signboards, the restaurant/bar having a rather bright neon sign.

A recent visitor to London's Titanic restaurant - that enjoyed such a brief, intense vogue - has informed that it has closed, although all the fittings and fixtures are still in place.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
So, everyone's gone, but the fixtures are in place? Perhaps they should called it the "Titanic wreck" (!)

I hope you don't need a double bottom after eating the food at these places! ;-)

Dec 8, 2000
And while on the topic of 'bottoms', why not park your bottom for a nice sit down meal with a show at a Titanic themed theatre restaurant? First class and steerage seating available. http://www.titanic.com.au/

The pubs sound a bit more to my liking though. Don't think I've ever had Bass ale.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Sounds like the only evacuation that will take place at these kind of establishments is one of the stomach contents ;-)

Best wishes
Paul

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
By the way, I've done so digging around and found the address of the bar in Benidorm:
Bar Titanic,
Avda. de Cuenca (next to Aparthotel Flamingo)
03500 Benidorm (Alicante)
Tel: 96 585 33 35

- good place to visit (I don't work for them hontestly!)

D

David Haisman

For all our Australian friends or indeed anyone else visiting the Gold Coast in Australia, there is the Tugun Tavern at Tugun, heading South, just past Surfers Paradise in Queensland.
My sister, wife and I were privelleged to have been invited as honourary guests by Richard Duce, General Manager, to open the new Titanic Bar on the 15th March, 2000.
Having shopped at the touring Titanic Exhibition in Brisbane among other places, his collection of memorabilia turned out to be quite extensive. He was very proud of a one centimetre square piece of the original Titanic(apparently costing $A5 000)along with Kate Winslet and Leonardo Di Caprio's signatures,one of my paintings, original scripts and props from the movie, replica of ''the necklace'' and many other items of interest.
It was a most memorable night with the booze flowing like Niagara, many ''pickies'' to boot, much speech making, back slapping, hand shaking and standing room only for most of the time. I recall one enthusiast, crushing my hand as he shook it vigorously and asking if my mother had survived the disaster.
Come the dawn, the predictable hangover arrived on schedule leaving one in a state of ''hors de combat''
The eyes had taken on the appearance of organ stops and the cranium ready to explode.
Yes, I would attend another such invitation but probably under anaesthetic !

All the best,

David

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I'd never heard of that one, David! Sounds like a memorable night indeed, and that's definitely one I'm adding to the list (hopefully next time I'm heading North on a diving vacation in Cairns or Townsville).

G

Gavin Murphy

........don't forget about the Titanic bar and restaurant in Donetsk, Ukraine. I've been there several times and even given a Titanic lecture at the local uni. Actually quite good, although, admittedly, not that convenient for a knees-up for many........

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
And don't forget The Grapes Pub, on Oxford Road, in Southampton: images of the Titanic on the wall, and the story of the Slate Brothers is written on one of their display boards. Titanic is also featured on their menus.

I wonder how many of the Slate Brothers' descendants there are, currently, in Southampton and the surrounding areas.

Jason: I definitely will be taking you to The Grapes, next April: for one of three occassions:
1. "Welcome Back to Southampton Day": April 14th;
2. "I Don't Have to Deal with I.T. Day in the U.S.": April 15th;
grin.gif
evil.gif
crazy.gif
or
3. "Happy 27th": April 16th.
grin.gif
proud.gif

Of course, if we're there on the 16th, we can't spend too much time in the Pub, and cut it close to getting aboard ship.
crazy.gif
grin.gif

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi John,

I definitely want to visit the Grapes Pub next April, so either occasion sounds good to me.

Actually it will be "Happy 28th" on my next birthday, but thanks for making me a year younger.
happy.gif

You're right if we are there on my birthday, we will have to watch our time at the pub. We most certainly do not want to be running down the street to catch the ship.
crazy.gif

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

G

Gavin Murphy

J and J,

Did you guys ever make it up to Ottawa and Chesterville this summer? And if you did, fill us in!

G

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
Jason, Gavin:
I just mailed out a set of pictures, including the ones taken in Chesterville, last July.

We also got the pictures of Charles Hayes at the Chateau Laurier.

Jason: watch the snail mail, this week.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
How could we forget the Wetherspoon's pub in Chadwell Heath, called "The Eva Hart"? Has some pictures and info on the walls.

J

Jake Angus

Anybody else got any Titanic pump clips? I have Captain Smith Ale, Titanic Ale, and Lifeboat ale, pump clips. If there's a fire, these are out the door first!
evil.gif

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Oh yes! And Wetherspoon's Godalming pub called the 'Jack Philips'! I notice that Wetherspoons often has 'Titanic Ale' as one of their guest ales.