Titanic theme pubs good places to meet

May 12, 2002
Hi Inger,

Indeed they do, and it's not a bad pint either, quite pale, dry and bitter (and pretty strong if I remember right!)

Cheers

Paul

Mar 28, 2002
I think they'll be pulling various Titanic ales this weekend at the beer festival at the Fountain Inn, Lower Gornal, Dudley.

Cheers,

Boz

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I can't remember what it tasted like, Paul! Been a while since I've had it...but kudoes to Wetherspoons, in spite of all its chain-pubbishness - for doing real ale promotions. Do you know if it's available anywhere regularly? And has anyone tasted the Australian cold-filtered Titanic beer, which was marketed under the somewhat wince-inducing slogan 'Goes Down Well!' Boz, you go give us a report on the Beer Festival Ales available! And have a pint of 'Centurian's Ghost' if they have it on in honour of Halloween - I had it in York a year or two ago and was quite taken with it.

May 12, 2002
No idea about its availabilty elsewhere, I've only ever seen in on the odd occasion in Wetherspoonses. You're spot on about the real ale side of their business, to my mind it lifts them above most of the other chain pubs [I think I may have to grow a big bushy beard now having admitted that ;-)]

Cheers

Paul

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
Another site, though I have not been there in 4 1/2 years: The Rock Bottom Brewery in Denver's Downtown area, near the Hyatt Regency, site of the 1999 THS Convention.

That particular location of The Rock Bottom Brewery features a Molly Brown Ale, and the advertisement for it (including the souvenir t-shirts) shows the Titanic inside a life preserver.
A group of us, from the THS, went there one night. Don Lynch and Ken Marschall were at another table, along with Muffett Brown.

If I get back to Denver I'll definitely head back there.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Paul, you really need to meet Ben Holme - he's another real ale officianado (he was delighted with the offerings on sale at a little local pub here in East Finchley, and gave a very good impromteau dissertation for me on what qualities to look for). One happy early memory of moving to England was a night at a beer festival in 'The Swan' - York's oldest pub. Between the medieval rooms and the marquee set up in the back with samples of all sorts of ales on offer, it was a great set-up for the delights of drinking in the UK.

We're hoping to get down to Cobh to try out the WSL pub that has sprung up there since my last visit in 1999. Sadly, though, the 'Titanic Cafe' opposite Highgate Station is no more - at some point in the last couple of months it has decided to become the rather more prosaic 'Highgate Cafe'. The Resturant and Meze Bar still has its neon Titanic sign out front, although what it has to do with the ship in anyone's guess. A couple of prints, a dodgy lifering and a bit of fishing net (???) and apparently there's a link.

Mar 28, 2002
Well, if you're tempted to visit the Titanic Bar at Winnstrasse 30, Berlin - go to am-pm at Hackescher Markt for a good time instead. We trundled up there last Sunday night, me dragging out three friends who wanted to have a wild time in Berlin and we ended up in a dingy, dark and dull pub in the middle of East-nowhere. I thought it was quite amusing but they didn't. There was NOTHING Titanic-related at all - in fact there was an awful lot of NOTHING-related - the walls were almost bare. I scoured everywhere to find something that remotely represented a ship and found - precious bugger all. It took ages to get four beers and we were about to leave when the lone barman brought them over. After we had worked the table top so loose (we were very bored) and pretended that it was the sloping deck of Titanic, we waved at everyone that had stared at us with utter blankness from the second we walked in and then took our leave. There you go - a review of the Titanic Bar, Berlin.

Mar 28, 2002
I just got back from America, walked in the door about 45 minutes ago. I'm knackered. I got back from Berlin on the Wednesday and left for the U.S. on the Friday. The only thing I saw not Titanic-connected but with the Titanic name was a make of honeydew melon at Pike Street Market, Seattle. Of course there were the pilgrimages to everything Titanic we could find but.....

Apologies to John Clifford for missing him on the Queen Mary this weekend just gone. I'll send you an e-mail as soon as I can muster the energy. I'm off for a shower and then bed now.

Cheers,

Boz