Titanic tobacci tin real or not

Debbie

Aug 13, 2009
A "friend of a friend" has a small metal tobacco tin which measures 2.5" in diameter. The lid is inscribed with "Captain's Office", then an emblem, then "SS Titanic." This person insists that the tin is the real McCoy. It does look very old but I'm curious why is would say SS Titanic rather than RMS Titanic. Any opinions/advice for a novice?

Apr 22, 2012
I seriously doubt this item is authentic. You pointed out the "S.S.", plus "Captain's Office" really makes no sense. However, I do remember seeing a tin of some sort in "Titanic: An Illustrated History" which had been saved from the sinking Britannic. I think it had once held tobacco as well, or maybe it was cigarettes. Anyone know the tin I'm talking about?

In my opinion (and I'm not an expert), I would say it is an old collectable.

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Apr 22, 2012
Hello Paul! Yes, but you usually hear it referred to as a Royal Mail Steamer. But, as you pointed out, it is called both. I still have my doubts about the authenticity of this item. Steve Santini would probably know something about this.

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Just for the record, on Ebay there have been several such metal tins listed over the last year or so, each saying "Captain's Office" and "S S Titanic". These have been round in shape and a sort of brass color.

For what it's worth, I do not recall ever seeing ANYthing either going on the Titanic or recovered from the Titanic that was labeled with the name of the ship. Even their life rings (life savers) were blank. Some may have had the name of the White Star Lines but that's about it.

Hope this is of some help.

Best regards,
Cook

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
There were key tags produced over the years that also said "Captain's Office, SS Titanic".
Refer to my message below in regarding items with the name Titanic etched and stamped on them for more info.
Pat, only a few items recovered from the debris field had the name Titanic on it. One was an a la carte receipt, if memory serves. Only paperwork, nothing else. Large machinery pieces, if they were designated, would have had the ship's ID number stamped on them: 401. The propellers are the only known pieces to have this number readily visible to wreck visitors.

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Yikes! Good catch, Dan! I didn't think about the paper receipts and such (STILL amazed those have been saved) having the name Titanic on them.

Thanks, O M

Best regards,
Cook