Titanic Toledo 2 May 8910 2003

Dec 4, 2000
Last year Captain Erik had so much fun sinking the Titanic in the Maumee River that we're inviting him back to do the same this year.

We wanted to hold the affair on the closest weekend to the anniversary date, but there is a conflict with the plumber. So, the dates this year are May 8, 9, and 10, 2003.

The location will again be the 617-foot steamship Willis B. Boyer which is moored in downtown Toledo. This is a museum ship built and launched the same year as Titanic. It shares the same riveted steel construction and is powered by a single turbine engine like Titanic's centre screw. The ship's interiors include wood-paneled first class accommodations. There's even an electric "fireplace."

Here is our schedule of events:

Thursday
May 8 -- 7:00 p.m.
Thackaray's Bookstore
Dave Brown will be speaking about his latest book, "White Hurricane." He will also discuss his "The Last Log Of The Titanic." This is not really part of the Titanic Toledo 2 event, but he likes to brag.

Friday
May 9, 2003
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
We will hold technical discussions aboard ship. These will be seminar-style and not formal presentations. Details later on who will participate, but expect Captain Erik to use the ship's wheelhouse to show his theories on the lack of situtional awareness aboard Titanic. Dave Brown will attempt to explain the riddle of Titanic's clocks. We will break for lunch aboard, probably pizza or something else typical of a 1912-era ship.

Saturday
May 10, 2003
We are hoping to have a couple of formal speakers, details to be announced. These will be in the morning from 10:00 a.m. to Noon. During the afternoon the Boyer will hold "Titanic Tours" showing visitors the similarities of the Boyer and Titanic. At 3:00 p.m. Dave and Erik will take a limited number of people on a hard-hat tour of the "bowels" of the ship. Participants must bring their own hard hats. You will visit the forepeak, foc's'l berthing areas, windlass room, engine room, and shaft alley. These are areas not normally available to the public.

Saturday
May 10
7:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
We intend to have food catered aboard the ship typical of first class, third class and the crew aboard a ship of Titanic's era. This will not be a dinner, but more sampling of typical cuisine in rooms similar to those on Titanic. For example the first class meal will be in the ship's formal, oak-paneled dining room. Special guided tours of the ship will culminate in a real lifeboat drill. This year, we hope to actually swing out a boat. The davits on the Boyer were made by the Welin company and are of the same pattern (although smaller) than those on Titanic. Erik will not try to catch the lifeboat, he promised.

As this is a fund raiser to help defray the costs of keeping the Boyer afloat (yes, it is floating), everyone will be asked to kick in a few bucks. The cost should be about $10 each for everything. (We have some problems with the city as to how much it will cost, but that's politics.)

We are asking that people reserve a place for both the hardhat tour and the evening dining aboard Titanic parts of the event. Contact me directly or through this site.

-- David G. Brown

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Dave, I'll have to see what I can arrange by way of off time at work. I don't think the accrued time will be the problem, but the fact that the March to May timeframe is the absolute busiest time of year for us where I work. What Christmas time is to the rest of retail, springtime is to the home improvement industry.

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
For the record: I never promised that I wouldn't try to catch the lifeboat, I merely stated that if it started to go, and no one was in danger I would be no where near the falling boat. I have learned that lesson and I don't plan a repeat of my past adventures with lifeboats.

Dave's event looks to be very fun. The lifeboat drill looks to be interesting this year as do the other events. Dave can count on me being there.

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
How on Earth could I pass up another fun romp aboard the Boyer for more Titanic fun-in-the-sun? Last year was great, but it just wasn't long enough!

Three days sounds fantastic. Count me in for attending this year.

Josh.

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
If there are any questions regarding this event before FEB 23rd please either post them here, or email me directly. Dave is OC at the Miami Boat Show until that time. I know what is going on and should be able to answer questions as needed.

Dec 4, 2000
A word to all who attended the "Titanic In Toledo" event. The father of Eddie Goyette died last night. Eddie is the director of the SS Willis B. Boyer ship museum and an avid ship enthusiast. Anyone wishing to send a message of condolence may do so through my e-mail address. I will print out the messages and give them to him when he returns after the funeral. Eddie's father had been in ill health for some time and his death was expected.

-- David G. Brown