Titanic Triumph & Tragedy

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
This book by John P. Eaton and Charles A. Haas is a must for every "Titanic" library. It is the most outstanding of all the reference books on the "Titanic." Other books might cover specific phases in more detail, but none of them cover the entire "Titanic" story better.

No matter what your area of interest regarding the ship, from its construction, to the voyage, to the sinking, to the "Californian" controversy, to the Carpathia, to the hunt for bodies, to the investigations into the disaster, and even to the discovery of the wreck, this book delves into it.

It also has the full cargo manifest and a full list of passengers that includes where they were from and where they were going, their age, where they boarded, and if they survived, the lifeboat they were on.

D

Dean M.

Mike, I have to agree. I've read quite a few books, and this seems to be the best of them. Currently, I'm working on a web page, and it seems that I'm always refering to this book, no matter what phase of the disaster I'm reading or compiling information on.

-Dean

Jan C. Nielsen

Dec 12, 1999
Mike, Dean:
I agree that the Eaton-Haas book contains a lot of information, and it's certainly a leading reference book on Titanic. However, I find "Titanic, An Illustrated History" much more captivating, better organized, easier and more enjoyable reading. I found myself constantly going back and re-reading sections of "Illustrated History." I don't like the layout of the Eaton-Haas book, the pictures aren't very clearly printed. Frankly, the Eaton-Haas book is like going through someone's scrapbook (which, incidently, is how I understand it came into being). Triumph-Tragedy is obviously a more comprehensive book in terms of its coverage. As an enjoyable reading experience, though, in my estimation "Illustrated History" has it beat by far.

Dec 6, 2000
As a reference book, Triumph & Tragedy has one major flaw - the index!

There is a lot of information in the photo captions - none of it mentioned in the index. Even the main body of the text has lots of information not indexed.

Dec 6, 2000
Rob:

At one point, I was hoping to get some people together to produce a better index for T&T - however, considering how long it took us to finish the index for Titanic Voices, I just don't have the time or energy.

And I've already got more irons in the fire than I need, anyway!

Logan Geen

Dec 2, 2001
I like Triumph and Tragedy, but I was disappointed with the organization and text, and I have some personal issues with Eaton and Haas' opinions and findings on the Californian issue. Overall, though, a pretty good book.

C

Cheryl Adair

Would someone please tell me where is the best place to order a copy of this book?

Is it available from anywhere in America - or do I need to order it from England?

(The 2nd edition was American...so hopefully it can be bought here)

Also - what is the price? Thank you.

happy.gif

Feb 24, 2004
I found a mint copy of the 1st edition last weekend at Half Price Books - for $15.

Quick observation: the photos aren't quite as grainy as they are in the 2nd edition.

Roy

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
"Titanic, Triumph and Tragedy" was written by Jack Eaton and Charles Haas.

[Moderator's note: This post and the one immediately above it, were in another thread started today, but have been moved to the pre-existing one on the same subject. JDT]

M

Matt Pereira

I found some on amazon dosent say which edition it is but its used ones that are cheap, more in my price range, but which one would be the one to go for the first edition or second edition?

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
It doesn't matter which edition you go for, unless it's updated. In this case, I don't think the second edition of this book is. They are both pretty much the same, the only difference is the second edition was published at a later date.

Although, purchasing a first edition is always good because it's just that, "a first edition" and it has more value later on. In the end, it's up to you.

Feb 24, 2004
>>the only difference is the second edition was published at a later date.

Hi, Jason!

Quite right, the text hasn't been updated. But the 2nd edition contains additional material on the wreck explorations, with a few more recent photos from "down there." The B&W photos of both editions are grainy, but those in the 1st edition are ever so slightly less so. You really can't go wrong purchasing the 2nd edition. Thanks to Half Price Books, I now have both.

Roy

Feb 24, 2004
>>I found some on amazon dosent say which edition it is

Hi, Matt!

The dust jacket of the 1st edition has a small inset B&W photo of the Titanic docked at Southampton, bow on, against a white background. The 2nd has a full color painting of the T underway, viewed from the starboard stern forward. It also specifies "Second Edition."

Roy