Titanic Triumph & Tragedy

M

Matt Pereira

I knew the one amazon was selling was the second edition but i got one that was used for 12 usd and it didnt specify if it was the first edition or second edition. i went ahead and got that along with a few other books

Nov 12, 2000
Roy is right about the cover paintings for the first and second edition dust jackets; I would only add that the second edition dj is by Ken Marschall.

A slight point about identifying the American editions for you obsessive, compulsive collectors (you know who you are). Although the second edition prominently says so on the dust jacket, on the copyright page it states "First American edition". The copyright page is wrong as the true first US edition was released the same year as the 1st British, 1986.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The painting on the dust jacket of the 2nd edition is by Edward Walker, who has provided artwork for other books by Eaton & Haas and also for use in the Titanic Artefacts Exhibition.

Feb 24, 2004
Ken uses much bolder colors than Walker (acrylics?). The suggestion that Ken had painted the dj for the TT&T 2nd edition most assuredly did not come from me. :)

Roy

Dec 6, 2000
As I recall, though Ken did have some interior work in the first edition of T:T&T, he refused to allow publication in the second edition, and the paintings were replaced with other photos and paintings.

M

Matt Pereira

I ordered mine from amazon second hand though but 12 dollars was a great deal long as its in the shape as described, but i sent a email and got a reply back that they are a day late in shipping and they updated it to the second day air at their expense.

Nov 12, 2000
Bob, thanks for correcting my comment about the cover painting for the second edition. I have no idea where the thought that Ken did it came from. How old do you need to be to have a senior moment? ;)

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I can't remember, Michael. I had my first senior moment so long ago it's shrouded by the mists of time! My favourite of Ed Walker's works, by the way, is the very atmospheric view of the Titanic at dusk which is used (in part) on the cover of Belfast's Own.

Feb 24, 2004
>>I spend a lot of time up in Greenwood.

I like that neighborhood. Next to Broadway and First Hill, it's so quiet and, dare I say? - conventional.

BTW, yes Bill, there are KenM paintings in the original edition.

Roy

Steven Hall

Dec 17, 2008
Excellent review Senan.
The book is all you say it is. In my opinion, a classic volume and written by two gentlemen.

Allan Wolf

Mar 11, 2007
Asheville, NC
Senan Molony has put into words my exact feelings for this wonderful, accessible, multi-dimensional, and well written book. If there is a Titaniac's Bible, T&T is it.

Bob Flory

May 18, 2009
I purchased the newest edition of this wonderful, wonderful book. BOY was I disappointed. Not in the work of Mr. Haas and Mr. Eaton (two fine Titanic historians of more combined experience than anyone else on the scene). No, this is all on Haynes Publishing. I have to say after owning the first two editions of this fine book, Haynes publishing did a shoddy job on this 3rd edition. Rather than go back to the original photos used for first two editions of this book, Haynes seemed to have merely scanned a copy of the last printing for its source material. The photos look like copies of copies. While there are a lot of photos Mr. Eaton and Mr. Haas have sourced from newspapers and magazines of 1912 which do look like bad xeroxs, they also used photos from Harland and Wolfe which reproduced in the first two editions with incredible sharpness. Not in the Haynes edition. Everything looks photocopied and unfocused. And where there are new photos not found in previous editions, they glaringly stand-out, making the original photos look even worse by comparison. Haynes did a fantastic job with their other Titanic books, so I can't tell if the source material was not available to them or they chose the easy way of gathering the material together. No matter. The damage is done. This is a not the way a great book should be treated. Shame on Haynes. Next time, gather the original materials. Much of it is available on line. You can get the Harland and Wolfe photos directly from them. Do a little leg work Haynes instead of taking the easy way out. I returned my copy and will suffice with the first 2 edition.