"Titanic Voices" by Hannah Holman

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi all,

I'm currently reading this book on my Kindle. Nothing new here but it is an excellent resource to have so many different survivor testimonies all in the one place - some of them are in depth and fascinating, some of them (Robert Daniel, i'm looking at you) are downright outlandish, but definitely worth the buy (only $7 on Kindle) for anyone interested:

TITANIC VOICES: Hannah Holman: 9781445602226: Amazon.com: Books

Cheers,
Adam.

James Garrett

Sep 24, 2011
Metro Detroit, Michigan
I had purchased the physical book several years ago. One aspect that this book appears to cover well is the people of Southampton with their reactions to the enlargement of the port facilities for the Olympic class liners, the arrival and departure of the Titanic, and of course the affect the loss of the ship had on the town. Many other books on the Titanic skip or skim over these topics.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Good point, James. I've just finished the testimony of Harold Lowe at the British Inquiry - he seems to cut quite an arrogant and sarcastic figure.

Cheers,
Adam.

Brad Rousse

Nov 27, 2002
Prague, Czech Rep.
If I recall, he was none too impressed with Senator Smith during the American inquiry, either.

SMITH: What is an iceberg made out of?
LOWE: Ice, I suppose sir.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi Brad,

Those are exactly the sort of responses I was referring to. I can understand it to a point, in that some of the questions that were posed at the inquiry were quite ridiculous, but none the less he was one of the leading figures among the survivors and so had a responsibility to give his version of events as best as he could. Reading between the lines of his testimony it seems as though he would have rathered be anywhere else than at the inquiry, and just wanted to make things as difficult as possible. Even the snarky Robert Hichens was more thorough. Could be wrong though.

Cheers,
Adam.