Titanic vs A Night to Remember

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion A Night to Remember beats Titanic'97 in the historical context that A Night to Remember is very,very much more historically accurate than Titanic'97.As for Titanic'97 well at least they did do a great job in recreating the Titanic and her interiors.

A

Alexander John Cooley

David Warner I have a few of his films

Not only Titanic 1997 but Tron, and the two major star trek films that he was in. And he was in the acting career for a unbelievable 46+ years. He was also in SOS Titanic. He is also wanting to be in the New Tron film that is in the works right now. I do say HOLY COW to that. So practically that is two Titanic films that he was in. I can only wonder what other film that is on my want to get list has him in it?

David Warner is a classically-trained actor who has appeared in a huge number of films and TV programmes, including three Titanic films. I understand he has sometimes played Klingons, etc., in Star Trek, and he also played Dr Necessiter in A Man with Two Brains, in addition to appearing in Shakespearean stage productions.

ANTR is the best, in this writer's view.
I watched it again and again when I was a kid back in the 1980's. I found both 1990's Titanic dramas to be inferior to it.
I even detected in the '97 film scenes that were almost rip-offs of ANTR.
True, SOS Titanic also had third class passengers in the first class dining room while trying to get to the lifeboats as ANTR did, but the two scenes are apples to oranges. Right down to the sets.
Yet the stuff I saw in the '97 film such as an almost carbon-copy remake of the "What have we stopped for?" "There's talk of an iceberg ma'am" scene from ANTR struck this writer as, well, cheesey.
At least SOS Titanic only took stook footage from ANTR and colorized it to match. :)
ANTR had the benefits of authenticity, a down-to-earth approach to the story, and a desire to not adulterate the saga with ficticious trappings. Qualities that compensate for the special effects of the era.

>>Yet the stuff I saw in the '97 film such as an almost carbon-copy remake of the "What have we stopped for?" "There's talk of an iceberg ma'am" scene from ANTR struck this writer as, well, cheesey.<<

There's also that "Why do the British have to sound dinner as if it was a cavalry charge ?" scene from the 1953 "Titanic".

Mr. Cameron does seem to have done a bit of borrowing.

>> One must put into consideration that it
>> was the largest set ever built in movie
>> making history and they hired hundreds
>> of extras for the film

I've heard this claim before from other sources. Check out the ancient Babylonian set in Intolerance or the original Ben-Hur. Both dwarfed anything that could be built today.

I have to agree that ANTR is a better film. Had Cameron just remade it on the sets that he built, it would have been amazing...a flop, but amazing.

A Night to Remember and Titanic (1997) were both filmed on huge sets, large sections of the ship having been constructed on the set of each film. The ship in ANTR was full-sized, whereas the "half-ship" set used in Titanic was roughly 80 per cent of the full size. However, does anyone know the actual dimensions of these two "ships"?

quote:

he also played Dr Necessiter in A Man with Two Brains
I wish I'd caught this sooner. I remember this movie fondly. Stars Steve Martin and Kathleen Turner as well. Sorry back to Which is better. Actually I wish they remake ANTR and put in the footage of Titanic. They could even use some of the same actors as well. Even Leo and Kate as long as they aren't Jack and Rose.​

Hello George-
>>They could even use some of the same actors as well. Even Leo and Kate as long as they aren't Jack and Rose.<<

How about Leo as Benjamin Guggenheim and Kate as Madame Aubert ?

You can make your own "Titanic", splicing the best of one version with the others and eliminating the worst of the others.

I once did my own version on another set of movies, splicing the best of "Pygmalion" with the best of "My Fair Lady". LOL. This could probably start another "argument thread" as to who was the best "Professor Henry Higgins" - Leslie Howard or Rex Harrison - ....But it has nothing to do with the ET website. Maybe this rates one more LOL.

However, I'll put Laurence Naismith and Bernard Hill in a close tie for E.J. Smith with George C. Scott trailing far behind as a not so quite also ran.

quote:

How about Leo as Benjamin Guggenheim and Kate as Madame Aubert ?
Shoot by the time the movie gets made they'll be perfect for those roles. I'll second that suggestion.

Bernard Hill was my favorite Captain Smith. The film crew called him El Captain.

Rex Harrison was the best 'enry 'iggins of all.​

George -
>>Bernard Hill was my favorite Captain Smith. The film crew called him El Captain.<<

My own opinion of the Naismith-vs-Hill debate:
Bernard Hill gets my vote as the best physical appearance. I would have expected Captain Smith to have a bit more hair on the top than Naismith.

Brian Aherne just wasn't all that convincing in physical appearance in the 1953 "Titanic"....IMHO.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any pictures of E.J. without a hat for comparison.

>>Rex Harrison was the best 'enry 'iggins of all.<<

Agreed, guvnor !. It might be a bit closer if only Leslie Howard could sing.:)

Of course Lightoller comes off much the hero in ANTR and a bit of a wimp in "Titanic" (1997).

Actually, I thought Edmund Purdom's portrayal of Lightoller in the 1953 "Titanic" was one of the few redeeming qualities of that movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.