Titanic vs Modern cruise ships

• Thread starter Nuno Viriato R R Cruz
  • Start date

Aug 10, 2002
Alyson:
Modern cruise ships are built for a different purpose than ocean liners. Suggested reading would be John Maxtone-Graham's book "Liners to The Sun". The liners were in the transportation business, cruise ships are in the recreational business. The cruise ships may look strange to use but, they are a more efficient use of the basic hull. The parallel mid body is longer and the bow shorter, it gives more carrying capacity for a given length. The cruise ships bows are narrow at the waterline to reduce resistance, but very broad at the deck. This gives then a large space for deck machinery and the resulting flare causes and waves they pitch into to be thrown out to the side, not up and on deck. The square transom stern has a speed implication also. The S.S. United States was one of the last liners built in the classic design, with a long entrance, and run. This was for speed.
Regards,
Charlie Weeks

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
One other point: The reason that the old liners had the "longer" bows was for the space to carry cargo. They couldn't carry a lot and the space was made available at premium rates, but it was there. As far as the shipping lines were concerned, it was another source of income. Since passenger vessels don't carry cargo anymore, the space is used for cabins.

Aly Jones

Nov 22, 2008
Australia
>>Modern cruise ships are built for a different purpose than ocean liners<<

OMG What? Cruize ships and ocean liners,am i missing something? Is there two kinds of ships now? What's the difference? I had no idea that there were two kinds of ships these days!

>>The reason that the old liners had the "longer" bows was for the space to carry cargo.<<

That explains what i was trying to find out.Thanks

Aug 10, 2002
Alyson:
As I said ocean liners were in the transportation business, they ran on fixed schedules between the same ports.They could carry some mail and cargo, but the bulk of the space was given over to passengers. Cruise ships are in the recreation business, they compete with Disney World for your vacation dollar. They don't carry any cargo.

I would suggest you do some research and compare the Queen Mary I, now in Long Beach to the Queen Mary II, currently Cunard Line's Flagship. It should clarify the differences for you.
Regards,
Charlie Weeks

Aly Jones

Nov 22, 2008
Australia
I know that there are ships that do Southhampton and newyork and so on,and i knew that there were ships that do hoilday fun cruise but i thought both kinds of ships used the same name- Cruise Liner.