Titanic was quite small

Josh M

Hello everyone,

As most of us are probably aware, Titanic (by today's standards) was a fairly small ship. It is difficult to truly grasp an accurate visual perception of her size because she projects different size impressions in different photos. In some photos the Titanic looks like a large ship, in others almost ridiculously small given the mythology surrounding her 'Titanic size'. For example if you look at the on-deck staircases leading up to the front end of the bow as a reference point, the surface area of the bow looks small.

Do any of you have an idea of how long it would take to explore the titanic? Not like every single cabin, but traversing all of the corridors and hallways and visiting all the major common rooms and working areas throughout the ship? I heard in a documentary that the Titanic contained over 20km of corridors.

One of the reasons I just cannot wait for the Honor & Glory game to be released is to have the opportunity to explore the ship and get a better idea of her true size. I am interested to know for example, if a passenger was on G deck, in a cabin at the back of the stern, how long it would take them to reach the decks?

I am also interested to know the interior size of the forward most and rearmost areas of the bow and stern; these areas appear small from the outside but perhaps from the inside it would be surprising how many rooms and spaces are crammed into these interiors.

Hello everyone,

As most of us are probably aware, Titanic (by today's standards) was a fairly small ship. It is difficult to truly grasp an accurate visual perception of her size because she projects different size impressions in different photos. In some photos the Titanic looks like a large ship, in others almost ridiculously small given the mythology surrounding her 'Titanic size'. For example if you look at the on-deck staircases leading up to the front end of the bow as a reference point, the surface area of the bow looks small.

Do any of you have an idea of how long it would take to explore the titanic? Not like every single cabin, but traversing all of the corridors and hallways and visiting all the major common rooms and working areas throughout the ship? I heard in a documentary that the Titanic contained over 20km of corridors.

One of the reasons I just cannot wait for the Honor & Glory game to be released is to have the opportunity to explore the ship and get a better idea of her true size. I am interested to know for example, if a passenger was on G deck, in a cabin at the back of the stern, how long it would take them to reach the decks?

I am also interested to know the interior size of the forward most and rearmost areas of the bow and stern; these areas appear small from the outside but perhaps from the inside it would be surprising how many rooms and spaces are crammed into these interiors.

I think there are some numbers out there of JC's set. While it was about 20 or so feet shorter my guess if you where walking at a good speed about 10 minutes, Lightholler said that it took him days before he could confidently get from one end of the ship to another

Kyle Naber

I disagree. Although we still have much larger ships compared to Titanic, she was still massive, even today. If you were to walk around the ship, I think you’d be surprised.

Josh M

I think there are some numbers out there of JC's set. While it was about 20 or so feet shorter my guess if you where walking at a good speed about 10 minutes, Lightholler said that it took him days before he could confidently get from one end of the ship to another

Hi Itstillthinking- do you mean 10minutes to get from a cabin on g deck to the top decks, all 10 minutes to traverse most major areas of the ship?

Hi Itstillthinking- do you mean 10minutes to get from a cabin on g deck to the top decks, all 10 minutes to traverse most major areas of the ship?

Oh i thought you meant walking to the stern. If we are walking threw all the major sections of the ship i would take like 5 hours. Soon i China we can see again how long it will take

A

Aaron_2016

It is surprising how quick you can walk up and down the dry dock in Belfast. That said, I'm sure it took a much longer time for the passengers and crew to find their way through the maze of corridors and staircases up and down the decks to reach their desired location, and then find their cabin again, especially as there would be confusion below decks to know which direction they were facing i.e. towards the bow or stern. The similarities between the forward and aft Grand staircases would also lead to some confusion. Wonder if the stewards had a harder time as they would have further to travel, while the passengers would stay within their respective classes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Titanic may be smaller than ships today, but it's not a fair comparison. In 1912 people were only a couple of generations removed from those small ships that were "going to prison with a chance of drowning". However I'll take the Titanic and Olympic class liners over the floating monstrosities they call ships today.Ugly as hell every one of them. Even the ships of the 30's were not as elegant. The Normandie looked like a top heavy, bloated whale when viewed at certain angles. They can make them bigger but these early ships had such grace and elegance about them both inside and out!!

Reactions: 2 users
upload_2018-4-4_11-52-38.jpeg

Now that's a beauty.

Reactions: 1 users

Josh M

Titanic may be smaller than ships today, but it's not a fair comparison. In 1912 people were only a couple of generations removed from those small ships that were "going to prison with a chance of drowning". However I'll take the Titanic and Olympic class liners over the floating monstrosities they call ships today.Ugly as hell every one of them. Even the ships of the 30's were not as elegant. The Normandie looked like a top heavy, bloated whale when viewed at certain angles. They can make them bigger but these early ships had such grace and elegance about them both inside and out!!

I completely agree with you and by no means was I attempting to diminish the grandiosity of the Titanic by remarking of her being a small ship, I was simply making a comparison to modern cruise ships and in order to set the scene for discussing the time required to explore her interiors. I too would much rather travel on an Olympic Class ship than any of the "eat & poop" liners of today.

To Josh--just read the "eat and poop" line ---absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!! I'll be laughing at that for the rest of the day!!!!! By the way Im sorry if I offended anyone by saying that 1930s ocean liners were not as elegant, I meant to write some of them were.However, as sleek as the Mary looks, her bridge is not quite as graceful as Titanics'. The Princess ocean liner they used in The Love Boat tv show is actually more streamlined and nicer looking than the gasbubble pictured above!