News Titanic watch sells for £98,000 at auction

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Oscar Scott Woody's watch is frozen at the time he went into the cold North Atlantic when the ship sank on 14 April, 1912.

It was recovered from the ocean and returned to his wife Leila the following month.

The watch was sold at Henry Aldridge & Sons in Devizes on Saturday along with other memorabilia from the doomed ship.

Reactions: Mike Spooner, William Oakes, Steven Christian and 1 other person
Steven Christian

Steven Christian

Interesting. Learned something new. Never heard of Plover on toast. Had to go look it up. Cheers.

Reactions: William Oakes and Jason D. Tiller
William Oakes

William Oakes

Interesting. Learned something new. Never heard of Plover on toast. Had to go look it up. Cheers.
Please, pass the plover!

Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner

Oscar Scott Woody's watch is frozen at the time he went into the cold North Atlantic when the ship sank on 14 April, 1912.

It was recovered from the ocean and returned to his wife Leila the following month.

The watch was sold at Henry Aldridge & Sons in Devizes on Saturday along with other memorabilia from the doomed ship.
Just a matter of interest I have notice so many items are sold by Henry Aldridge & Sons in Devizes. Do they have a licences agreement to sale Titanic items?

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Just a matter of interest I have notice so many items are sold by Henry Aldridge & Sons in Devizes. Do they have a licences agreement to sale Titanic items?
Not to my knowledge and not from what I can find. It's due to a passion for Titanic that Andrew Aldridge has had, since he was five. The first Titanic related item was 'an archive of letters belonging to second-class passenger Claire Cameron, sold for £55,000 in 1997, £35,000 more than the previous record for a similar collection'. They are widely regarded as the leading authority in the world in the valuation of Titanic memorabilia.