Titanic: Why she collided, why she sank, why she should never have sailed

mitfrc

Jan 3, 2017
New England
I've noticed that Mr. Molony seems to think that Englishmen seem to have a complete inability to display initiative like they're all junior officers under Darth Vader. I guess all those hundreds of times each year that British vessels are traveling along a coast to their right and turn into the beach and run aground according to the rules of the road prove he's right... Oh, wait...

Reactions: Rob Lawes

Mila

Feb 19, 2019
Mr Molony continues: 'Titanic said she made only one manouevre. But she likely actually made two. And they were contradictory. Costing the whole ship and all aboard.'

Titanic said?

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
This is what happens when you stop putting your work forward for peer review and have the ability to access a publisher to push out whatever you like.

Even those (including myself) with a relatively broad and shallow knowledge of Titanic knew about the bunker fire years before the "new evidence" documentary. It must be the case of the first documentary in history to have been thoroughly debunked before it was released on the world.

Nov 14, 2005
Yes. I was really disappointed with that documentary. You think if your going to put out a theory like that you could at least find a picture with the "smudge" in the right spot. But maybe I'm just asking too much.

Brad Rousse

Nov 27, 2002
Prague, Czech Rep.
Conspiracy theories are seductive: they are built on the premise of secret knowledge. You're too smart and too clever to be fooled by Them, because unlike all these other fools you KNOW the Titanic was actually the Olympic; that Bush blew up the Twin Towers; that Earth is flat; that the Moon landings were all filmed on a studio... all you have to do is watch a few videos on YouTube and you've taken the red pill.

Nov 14, 2005
Conspiracy theories are seductive: they are built on the premise of secret knowledge. You're too smart and too clever to be fooled by Them, because unlike all these other fools you KNOW the Titanic was actually the Olympic; that Bush blew up the Twin Towers; that Earth is flat; that the Moon landings were all filmed on a studio... all you have to do is watch a few videos on YouTube and you've taken the red pill.
And they sell a lot of books. I've looked up authors before and some thats all they write about. Not just one conspiracy but damn near every conspiracy. Its their bread and butter.

Mila

Feb 19, 2019
A few years ago I put a video of a ship disappearing behind the horizon on YouTube. Little did I know about these conspiracy theories. I have stopped responding and removing comments

Brad Rousse

Nov 27, 2002
Prague, Czech Rep.
A few years ago I put a video of a ship disappearing behind the horizon on YouTube. Little did I know about these conspiracy theories. I have stopped responding and removing comments
This is unfortunately the best way to deal with it; the "infected" are beyond hope and you need to focus on those who can be saved (IE, those who are confused or just starting to think there might be something). How often do we see on this website, for example, that no matter how much evidence is presented for the switch or the coal fire being nonsense that there's always an answer, always a wiggle out, always a goal post shift...

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
Conspiracy theories get people elected to the highest offices of government in some places these days. Any counter arguments are simply called fake news.
Very likely. As I mentioned before, there are books similar to those that claim that the Titanic never sank. One is about how Charles Lindbergh killed his own baby son and then faked the kidnapping and let another man be executed for it. Another such book is about the death of Belgian magnate Alfred Lowenstein where the author claims the the perpetrators hid an additional outer door in a tiny plane, pushed their employer to his death in mid-air over the English Channel and then fitted the fake door.

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
I've noticed that Mr. Molony seems to think that Englishmen seem to have a complete inability to display initiative like they're all junior officers under Darth Vader. I guess all those hundreds of times each year that British vessels are traveling along a coast to their right and turn into the beach and run aground according to the rules of the road prove he's right... Oh, wait...
Murdoch was a Scot and Lowe was Welsh. They were not all "Englishmen".

Henry Sincic

Sep 11, 2017
I think that some of the treatment that Molony is getting is a little unfair. While this book does appear to be leaning towards more of a conspiracy angle, something that I'm traditionally suspicious of, Molony has proven himself to be a talented researcher in years past. The Irish Aboard Titanic and Lusitania: An Irish Tragedy are both great books that add a lot to our knowledge of these disasters.