Titanic Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andrew Neel

I have a friend who was given a large piece of wood from the titanic. It is mahogany. About two feet long. It was taken from a surface of the ocean by a skipper out of Halifax after the accident. Is it legal to sell this piece of wood? If so, what do you think is the best venue?

Oct 13, 2000
Andrew, I know of no reason why it would not be legal to sell the wood, if it was wreckage skimmed off the surface as you describe. by far the best venue to sell this would be one of the larger maritime auction houses.

the sticking point is the provenance. that is, does your friend have any documentation to prove that this piece of wood was actually acquired from the floating wreckage as you suggested. if this is merely family history passed down by word of mouth over the years, your friend is going to have a hard time proving this is indeed wood from Titanic.

depending on the exact piece of wood, there are experts who could probably give a guess as to whether it is really from Titanic or not. if there is extensive decoration on the wood for example that could be shown to be from a design used on the ship, that would be a big help. if it is essentially a plain piece of wood, that is going to be a problem, again unless the provenance is there.

hope that helps,
Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
There is another small piece of wood that was on ebay recently, supposedly recovered by the Minia and was priced at US$200 and is on a stand with a small model of the Titanic. Wonder what can prove the authenticity?

Jan 7, 2002
If that titanic wood is real, your friend should hang onto it, a true investment.
Gary Robinson and Steve Santini are the most knowlegable people on Titanic wreckwood on ET, so Im sure they could give you better advice than I on how to determine its authenticity.
Rule of thumb, when you sell such a rarity, go with a Titanic collectables auction...As for selling the wood, your friend has every right to sell it...

Regards

tarn Stephanos

N

Nix MacPherson

I am suddenly reminded of my old Sunday School teacher telling us that there are enough splinters from the actual cross of Jesus to built a rather large house.

But it could be the bonifide also...

Jan 7, 2002
Here is a tale of "the one that got away" to make you cringe..

In Dec 1999 I was working at the Titanic exhibit in Toronto- I flew home to Boston for a few days for Christmas, and when I returned to the exhibit, learned from the gift shop staff and other workers that a couple from Nova Scotia driving a large station wagon popped by with thier car filled with intricately carved wood fragments.
The couple claimed the wood had been recovered from the Titanic disaster scene by ancestors that worked on one of the ships that had been dispatched to recover bodies at sea...(Mina or Makay bennet..)

Im told the largest piece was well over 8 feet, and they had that with them- both ends were broken...

The wanted to either sell or donate the wood.

I was the chap they would have talked to,and I would have refered them to higher ups, but I was out of town, and next in line just happned to be at lunch...

So the couple talked to gift shop staff and the people renting the narrative headsets.
But the nimrod who rented the headsets who knew nothing of Titanic told them since the wood was broken and scratched, it must be worthless.
He turned them away..He told me he took thier number, but told me he lost it....
When I heard this I was livid....

When I asked him why he didnt post thier number in our oiffice, he said 'whats the big deal? It was just broken wood'.

There is no way to know if the wood was real or fake...But what if the wood was legit?

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Status
Not open for further replies.