Titanic World Heritage Site

W

William H Draeger

Scrounging items from the debris field is one thing, but mutilating the hull in a pilfering-for-profit scheme is truly dismal.
Why can't ET and the world's Titanic groups come together and submit an emergency petition to the United Nations to have the Titanic declared a World Heritage Site?
The simple fact that the passengers and crew came from 40 different countries makes it an international symbol that the United Nations can surely empathize with!

T

Tracey McIntire

Hi William!
I really like your idea. Especially when it seems that the US government is stalling in its efforts to form a treaty with Canada, England, and France. The government attorneys have said that the treaty is still in the draft stage and that the guidelines drawn up by NOAA have just ended the public comment phase and need to be revised. After both of these tasks have been completed, Congress then has to pass a bill into law to back up these steps. We could be talking years here before any US action is taken. The bright side is that RMST Inc. is not in very good shape at the moment, facing two lawsuits and diminished stock value. If the company folds then the threat to the wreck will at least be postponed. In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to pursue your idea. Count me in!
Sincerely,
Tracey McIntire

W

William H Draeger

Hi Tracey!
Thank you for your support! Hopefully RMST Inc. ceases being a threat, at least to the hull. Never having dealt with the United Nations, I'm ignorant of the bureaucracy, protocols and procedures. Let me see what I can find out.
Warmest regards,
Bill

T

Tracey McIntire

Great! Let me know what you learn. You might also post your message in the Salvage section of this message board. I know you'd find some sympathetic folks there too.

Tracey

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
FWIW, I'm willing to sign on to this as well. I don't know how a pettition could be set up though, and I understand on-line pettitions are not considered valid anyway. Perhaps if somebody has some addresses, a letter writing campeign could be organised.

It's high time the moneymen got the boot. I'd be willing to support exploration, but let some bona fide scientists do the work.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

W

William H Draeger

Hi, Michael,
Thank you for your support! I agree with the scientific exploration, but I think it is shameful for the Titanic to be "owned" by profit oriented moneymen.

Bill

Dec 2, 2000
One of the biggest single hurdles for anyone trying to legislate over the Titanic is its location in international waters. If all of the 40 countries that are involved do successfully agree to something, even then some other non-impacted country can go there and do what they want because there are no rights to that waterway. At least you may wish to check prior to doing any serious committments to any one way of addressing the issue. Just a suggestion.
Maureen.