Titanic World to be built in Mississippi

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>It seems strange that what people built with much less advanced technology today cannot be replicated by our advancement in technology today!<<

Even obsolete technology requires training and experience to use properly. Given some time, I could probably do a halfway decent weld on some hull plating even now, but I've also had some basic training in metal shop on how to do it. However, could I make rivets, heat them to the proper temperature, and ram them into place so that they'll be strong enough an tight enough to do the job? Probably not.

How much technology has come and gone so that nobody knows how to do it all? Can we make Greek Fire? This was a weapon used in naval combat by the Greek City States of ancient times. Can we make and properly use a sword or a longbow? Could any of us design and build a sailing ship with the same attention to detail that went into the HMS Victory?

We could if we were taught how to do it, but there has to be somebody who knows how to teach it and somebody willing to learn.

Jul 9, 2002
Strangely enough, I have a two sided opinion on this thread. OK, actually I'm going to give you my thoughts and then play Devil's Advocate.

Dumb. That is my thought on the whole idea. At least as far as using it as an amusement park. Hoewver, what if we are all reading to much into this? What if "amusement park" is not what they are after? I think of roller coasters and hot dogs when I think of an amusement park. Certainly not grand sailing vessels of times past. But what if that is not what they are planning? Isn't it feasable that they simply want to "rebuild" Titanic and use it as a hotel? They mentioned a buliding along side the ship that could be used as a maritime or Titanic museum. That truthfully is not a bad idea. You make money on two fronts. One, give people a chance to tour the ship. Second charge them entry to the museum. Or give them one price for both. Then for us big spenders, we could pay for a night on board. Of course this idea has been brought up more times than I care to think about. You have to update 3rd class cause no one would pay to sleep there, blah,blah,blah. I happen to disagree with that statement by the way due to the fact that I believe enough people have an interest in the ship to sleep in an accurate representation as long as they could see the whole ship, not be kept below like the real 3rd class.

Also, there has been much discussion about the word "exact". Again, isn't it possible that the investors in this project could be meaning exact as in "If you look at it, it looks just like the real Titanic!" The ship would only need be seaworthy enough to sit at a pier. It would not be sailing anywhere. All this technology talk makes me have the thought...Why retrain people in past shipbuilding techniques? Why not make it with modern abilities just make it look original. Has anyone ever been to Disnyland? Or better yet, Universal Studios? Some of the things there look real, but were designed with modern "things". My daughter was scared to death of those Damn Dinosaurs!

Im just saying, that it doenst have to be exact to be "exact". Not if the sole purpose is for revinue, or entertqinment. While I agree that the Titanic memory is and has been exploited by money hungry people, I also bet that most of us saw Titanic in 97, have built a model, read everything we could get our hands on, etc. Dont be quick to judge because if it DOES come to Frutation....I'll see you all in line on opening day!

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
I agree that it doesn't have to be 100% exact. If its not turning out to be a leisure park etc., I will fully support the idea of being a hotel and all that.

>>You have to update 3rd class cause no one would pay to sleep there, blah,blah,blah. I happen to disagree with that statement by the way due to the fact that I believe enough people have an interest in the ship to sleep in an accurate representation as long as they could see the whole ship, not be kept below like the real 3rd class.<<

Die-hard people like you and I would stay in the 3rd Class (if they ever build a replica) just to experience how 3rd Class was like. (No one asked you to sink the replica as well!) Then you could live in 2nd Class the next day and finally upgrade to 1st Class on the last day!

Ryan Thompson

Dec 6, 2005
(years later)....

Does anyone know if there have been updates on this? It didn't get built, did it? A $6.5 billion pricetag sounds really fishy. For that much money you could build half a dozen (likely more) Titanic-shaped hotels. A Titanic-shaped maritime museum sounds like a better idea, anyway.