Titaniceasy pickings 50 years from now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Here's a scenario for you. It's, say, 2050. The debris field has been picked all but clean, so much so that there are practially no returns to be had from any dives any more; maybe one of the loose boilers has even been raised. The bow section has begun to collapse in on itself-perhaps the damaged tear area has fallen away, internal decks are collapsing in, perhaps some of the shell plating has begun faling in/out as well. The ship is becoming a pile of rubble, and is rapidly changing from the form we know it in now. Would it then be right or wrong to start picking things up from the ship itself? The centenary of the disaster would be long past, the 'ownership' of the wreck could well have changed a couple of times, who knows what public opinion of the ship will be in another fifty years? So does any of that make it right to say, 'rescue' one of the ship's anchors before they get buried under so much steel? Or to start plucking personal items out of the rubble, should they become exposed? When do you think it would become all right, if ever, to start bringing up pieces of the bow section?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
If it's wrong now, then I would think it would be just as wrong 50 years from now no matter what the condition of the wreck is. Of course, attitudes may well change, but when you get right down to it, I think this particular call may be made by the courts.

I'd have to wonder just how much could be accomplished when the wreck deteriorates to the point you describe. Wreck diving is a VERY dangerous passtime, and it will be all the more so when she's really far gone.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Indeed-it may be that very danger that in the end saves her from any more plundering. But I suppose nobody knows where the technology will be at in 50 years time, or of course the public attitudes.

F

Frans J. Vossenberg

Did you know that there going to raise the titanic. Check it out at www.elibrary.com and put in Raise The Titanic Wreck for the search.

Sep 20, 2000
Would somebody PLEASE pull the plug on the above goofball troll?
crazy.gif

Much obliged!
John Feeney

Status
Not open for further replies.