Titanic's and other Liners Time Zones

P

Peyton Jenkins

Hi all...

Okay, I'm confused with the time zones. I know the "Titanic" struck the berg at 11:40 and went under at 2:20, but what time zone was that? And after I get the time zone, how can I find out what time it would be here in the Central US?

Thanks in advance!

T

Trent Pheifer

Hey Peyton,

Eaton and Haas have said that New York time(EST)was 1 hour and 50 minutes slow compared to Titanic time. So when it was 9:50 PM in NY it was 11:40 PM on Titanic. So in the Central Time zone it would have been 8:50 PM when the Titanic struck the iceberg and the sinking would have taken place at 11:30 Central Time. Hope this helps.

-Trent

Mar 13, 2000
trent thank you for the info i too have wondered what time the ship sank in central time zone now that i know i will keep that in mind to peyton i thank you for asking the question i have been wondering for a long time and i am glad you brought it up and i am sure that others will appriciate this info too jennifer mueller

P

Peyton Jenkins

Thanks, Trent, for the info, and Jennifer, glad to be of some help!!
happy.gif
I've wondered a lot recently about this, but didn't know how to find out!

Mar 13, 2000
peyton welcome to the board this is the right website to find answers to any questions you have about the titanic and there are so many other subjects about the titanic on this website as well there are so many websites about the titanic out there and this is one of a few i go to when i want info on the titanic and i am glad you found this website and i hope you will continue to ask questions about the titanic because who knows you might get an answer to a question about the titanic that noone knows about jennifer mueller

Shane Kurup

Jul 31, 2000
Hi guys,

One thing that has puzzled me for quite some time is when making a trans-atlantic crossing, or any lengthy voyage, how often do the clocks need to be adjusted? We get none of this on planes- just set the time when we get there after being shot across the ocean in a tube!
I guess it would have been the stewards responsiblity to adjust all the clocks? It must have been quite a job. Some of the passengers must have got the time wrong sometimes if their clocks were wrong. Imagine turning up to dinner an hour late if you had not left your cabin, perhaps suffering from "le mal de mer" and had not been notified of the time change!
The "Honour and Glory" clock on the Grand Staircase- where were the controls for adjusting this? Could you just open the glass and adjust it that way like so many other clocks of the time?
It must have been quite annoying to loose/gain an hour everyday- having to take lunch at the end of the voyage at a time when you would be taking breakfast at the beginning of the voyage.
Also I have thought it quite strange that at 11.40 most people were in bed- it seems quite early to be asleep on such an important social occation. Was this due to the time difference? Or was it Edwardian custom to retire between 9-11pm when at sea?
Thanks for reading! Any info would be greatly appreciated!

regards,

Shane
happy.gif

T

Tom Pappas

When I crossed by ship, the 5-day trip and 5-hour differential between GMT and EST made it easy: eastbound, they just set the clock back an hour every midnight, and an hour forward westbound. Everybody seems to have known, because no one showed up late for dinner that I was aware of. The onboard clocks all ran off a master instrument in the wheelhouse, so no one had to set them.

And believe me, that hour a day shift in meal and sleep times is a lot better than jet lag.

Shane Kurup

Jul 31, 2000
Thanks Tom!
I'm sure it is much better then jet lag! Unfortunately I've never been on a long voyage-I always fly but I HATE air travel. Years ago "Half the fun was getting there" now you are just sealed in a tube, given a lunch tray and shot across the ocean at 500mph! The result is you feel like death when you get to your destination!

Shane

Mar 4, 2011
Hay, now I know mountain time. 7:50 pm. Boy the ship sure made it confusing. Here in Colorado, we are proud of our most famous Titanic survivor- Molly Brown. There is even a musium for her at her old home.