Mar 3, 1998
Robert,

Bruce and I disagreed with an interpretation of an ANGUS photo. If you feel that he is correct, then you would probably disagree with my interpretation.

I am into final boards on a book about the Titanic Marconi apparatus that will be published in the UK next year. I have included the supporting documentation for my interpretation of the configuration there. I do have a cutaway of the aerial pillar on my website, that you can check if you wish.

Parks

P

Philip Martinez

Does Anyone know if there is/are any CDROM's out there that have the construction and engineering drawings of the Titanic. Specifically interior structural framing and other load bearing elements associated with keeping the hull from deforming under the *normal* stresses of the sea(i.e. Not the stresses associated with the flooding).

Phil

Jul 7, 2002
All the deck plans discussed here sound really interesting but too technical for me. I like the general set in Eaton and Haas' Titanic: Triumph and Tragedy, 2nd ed. but I have a few questions I hope some of you can help me with:

1. Is it possible to buy this set of plans (separate from the book) and where could I purchase them? The set in the book has a crease where the pages are bound into the book that goes right through the middle of the ship. Very frustrating. I'd like plan that's separate so I can spread it out on a table. I'd also like it a little larger so it's easier to read.

2. Were there really revolving doors it the corridors between the forward Grand Staircase and the First Class Lounge and in the corridor between the First Class Lounge and the aft Grand Staircase? This is the only reference to them I have seen. (I know there was a revolving door between the First Class Smoking Room and the port Verandah and Palm Court; that's on every deck plan I've seen but the others are not.)

3. On D Deck there are two small rooms just forward of the 3rd class stairs in the stern. The writing is so small I can't read it; they say "3rd class" something. What are these rooms?

4. Why are the plans are copyright Eaton and Hass, not H&W? Because E&H wrote in descriptions of what various rooms are? I like the fact that these plans include cabin numbers AND descriptions.

I'd appreciate any information and suggestions.

Thanks!

Cathy Akers-Jordan

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Cathy, if you can find a copy, 'The Wall Chart of the Titanic' (which is actually a book of folded charts) contains basically the same plans used by Eaton & Haas, but on a much larger scale. As a bonus you also get a huge side plan which opens out to about 5 feet long. The two small rooms you mention are the 3rd Class surgery and waiting room.

Dec 7, 2000
Cathy,

Some of your questions have been answered in various threads on ET, but to save you time looking for the answers, I'll recap it here.

Q1. Yes these plans are available to buy. If you contact NARA (National Archives and Records Administration), they're in NY, you can order the plans from them. Let them know that the plans are in the Limitation of Liability Titanic files, and request both pages. They will cost you $2.70 each and shipping will be extra. The plans themselves are much larger than in the book, so they're exactly what you're looking for.

Q2. I personally believe that there were revolving doors in the two corridors you mentioned. I know of at least two passenger accounts/letters which mention the revolving doors in plural (i.e. not singular, not just the one between the Smoke Room and Verandah Cafe). I think Mr. Julian was one of them ... can't remember the other.

Q3. According to the NARA plans (of which I have a copy) the rooms are "3rd class Waiting Room" and "3rd class Surgery", I assume the waiting room was for the surgery.

Q4. Eaton and Haas copyrighted the plans because they redrew them themselves. I think the reason Eaton and Haas redrew the plans was so that they could copyright them. The NARA plans are free of copyright. I guess in the days when Eaton and Haas discovered the Limitations of Liability files, the contents of which were not well known, to ensure exclusivity of the information Eaton and Haas were providing in their books, they drew the plans themselves, but basing it on the NARA plan.

Regards,

Daniel.

Jul 7, 2002
Daniel,

Thank you very much! I posted my questions to this thread before I found some of the others, so I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I'm especially glad to know the plans I want are available.

Cathy

Jay Erskine

Dec 6, 2006
I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, I contacted the national archives, and the two sheets of Titanic plans run a total of $16.20 USD.

The plans are 1/32=1 foot, and are three feet wide.

Payments should be made to the National Archives Trust Fund.

NARA's Northeast Region
201 Varick St. - 12th Floor
New York, NY 10014

I'm waiting to see if there are any reference numbers needed.

May 3, 2005
Pardon me for the duplication, as I remember this may have been covered in another thread.:

Also, there seems to be some discussion as to the credibility of the scenes in the movies showing Thomas Andrews discussing damage with Captain Smith.

Were blueprints carried on board Titanic ?
Were the blueprints white on blue blueprints as depicted in "Titanic" (1997) or black on white drawings as shown in ANTR ?

"Titanic" (1953) ? No problem ! No Thomas Andrews.
No blueprints or drawings. :)

Bill West

Dec 14, 2005
Drawings originate as pencil on paper (vellum) and never leave the office as they are needed as a record and for future revisions. The classical white line on blue paper chemistry was used to print copies for the shop and possibly the customer. In 1912 this was a slow process and used direct contact sunlight exposures. It progressed to more sensitive chemicals and semi automatic printing machines by the 50’s. Then someone switched the chemistry and blue lines on white paper became the standard. Later it changed again to black lines and now of course we also have wide bed, roll fed machines that give us black line Xerox copies.

In industrial work providing reference prints for the maintenance staff is a normal practice however on a ship where they will get twenty years thumbing by the Engineers the builder might instead provide more durable linen tracings. These typically are black ink on warm parchment coloured glazed linen. In the course of making these the tracer drafter can neaten up the design drafter’s construction lines and erasures, eliminate the pencil’s uneven line and lettering density and make a very sharp finished copy. These could also be provided to the shop too if it was thought that their prints would get beaten up too quickly and if you’ve spent the effort to make tracings then of course they are the better source to make your blueprint copies from. If the customer needs to make his own prints he could get the brownish sepia copies that are on a semi transparent paper or now brown/black on thin plastic and he can also get photo processed mylar sheets. These all enable him to draft in and print his own revisions.

So for our movies both could be 1912 correct if you opinion that ANTR’s white is ship’s permanent linen copies and Mr Cameron’s blue is left over shop prints.

Bill

Jayne Greer

Jan 25, 2008
New sailor aboard.
I'm having trouble with the deck plans.
Which set is the best one to use?. E.T. ones are very clear but not all numbered. Where would Bridge Deck State Rooms have been ?
Thanks in advance !

Jun 12, 2004
Jayne,

First, welcome to ET!

As per your question, if I understand you right, you're asking which was the bridge deck? That would be B Deck, although the bridge itself was on the boat deck.

If by "staterooms" you're referring to those with private prominades, two existed on B-Deck. Two others, similar to these but without prominades, were located on C Deck, directly below. All four of these would have been situated on the outside, just aft of the forward grand staircase . . .

B Deck:

* 51/53/55 (Starboard): Cardeza Family
* 52/54/56 (Port): Joseph Bruce Ismay

C Deck:

* 55/57/59 (Starboard;located directly aft of the Inquiry/Purser's Offices): Straus Couple
* 62/64/66 (Port): Vacant, although the Astors have for so long been erroneously placed here. Young Jack Thayer, if I remember correctly, was allotted C-66.

Also, I am now in the process of tranforming the current deck plans, so hopefully the rooms will have their numbers. Let me see if I can find the room numbers and provide them for you. I presume you are searching for those on the Bridge Deck? Any suite or suites in particular, other than those already mentioned above?

A note to Phil and others: I have been busy with work and other things, as has been everyone else. This will be a slow process for me, so please do not expect any results any time soon. I first need to research and gather information, which, in itself, will take some time. If anyone has any questions or comments about the site's deck plans, please feel free to send them my way via email.

For those who are looking for detail, Mark Chirnside's (?) deck plans are among the most impressive thus far. Perhaps someone can provide Jayne with that particular link, as I am not familiar with it. Thank you.