Titanic's Forensic Analysis Collection

Dec 23, 2017
The following document is the first attempt to gather all of the forensic analysis done about the Titanic over the past twenty years into one place, with the data being easy to read and usable for portrayals of the sinking.

It covers the major papers dating back to 1996 right to the final one done in 2012. It has it all in a easy to read table, and all of the images found in these are papers have been recreated to let the reader more easily see the flooding.

It is my belief that with this document out there, future conversations of the sinking can have some data and evidence to back up and maybe help clear up some misconceptions of the sinking.

This will be my last Titanic related project for a while due to some behind the scene developments, so i hope everyone enjoys it!

Attachments

Reactions: NikkiChan92

PRR5406

Jun 9, 2016
Maine
Outstanding effort. THank you for using your considerable talents with these simulations and investigations.

Dec 23, 2017
Thank you very much.

Hope it clears up alot of the misconceptions of the sinking.

For those interested in the GHS images, here are some of them here.

I used some image enhancing to more easily figure out the placement in the water for my recreated images.

Attachments

Miller88

Feb 20, 2019
North Carolina
I've really enjoyed reading through this awesome job!

Quick question; When it says the ship reached peak stress at 23 degrees does it mean based on the simulation that, that is when the breakup began or does it mean that's when the hull reached it's maximum stress load? As in the ship may have began break up before 23 degrees?

Dec 23, 2017
Thanks!

GHS would calculate the ships flooding at any intermediate stage, then that flooding data would be imputed into the MASTERO software. That software indicates that peak stresses seem to be found at 23 degrees. Which would lead to the thinking that since no stresses found beyond this angle were greater, that the ship might have broke at this angle.

However as some of the survivor accounts included states, there is more to the story than what a computer program can spit out.

Reactions: Miller88

Miller88

Feb 20, 2019
North Carolina
So basically the breakup occurred at or before the point of peak stress depending on list, exact flooding and a host of other unknown factors?

Dec 23, 2017
Exactly.

There are a unlimited amount of unknown factors. Like does the model indicate when wooden bulkheads collapsed as reported? What was the exact nature of the collision forward of boiler room #6?

It seems that the break-up was a ongoing process from the bridge going under and on with the sounds reported by people, perhaps the keel or some other lower portion of the ship fractured, but the upper decks remained visibly attached until the stress was too much.

We will never know 100%, epspecially with how little of the footage from the wreck site has been released to the public.