Titanic's future if she made it to New York

Justin K

Aug 11, 2012
Pennsylvania
Does anyone have any information regarding Titanic's future?

-When was she due to leave NYC for Southampton, how full was she and were there prominent people booked for the return?

-What changes did Thomas Andrews want to make to make her better?

-Do you think she would have been used in the wars?

-When do you think she would have been taken out of service?

Or any other info would be great!

Thanks!

Jul 31, 2012
I don't have the schedule for when the Titanic was to depart in front of me, but I think it was around the 22nd of April.

Had Titanic not collided with the iceberg and survived the world war, Cunard-White Star would likely have taken Olympic out if service sooner. That's just based on the debated problems Olympic may or may not have had in the 1920s-1930s with the engine bedding, and of course since Titanic was newer it may have been in better shape (since Olympic did have that scrape with the Hawke). Anyhow, I don't think there was enough demand after 1929 to keep two Olympic class liners in use without dipping deeper into profits.

If Titanic had survived a little longer than Olympic, it may have experienced the resurgence in popularity enjoyed by other large liners of the late 1930s and 1940s.

Anna Simpson

Jun 29, 2012
Hello,

<<When was she due to leave NYC for Southampton,>>
Titanic (according to posters in books I've seen) was due to leave New York for Southampton on April 20.

<<What changes did Thomas Andrews want to make to make her better?>>
Off the top of my head, I the only one I can think of ( I am sure there are others known)is that he wanted to change the color of the pebble dashing on the private promenades. Unfortunately, we may never know all he wanted to change/fix, as the notebook in which he recorded these changes was with him as the ship sank.

<<Do you think she would have been used in the wars? When do you think she would have been taken out of service?>>
Click Here: https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/forums/general-titanica/8587-titanic-hypothetical-career.html

Hope this Helps!

Justin K

Aug 11, 2012
Pennsylvania
Very interesting read. Thank You for sharing that. It is funny how such a popular ship in history could have served just like the rest of the luxury liners of the day and we probably wouldn't even pay much attention to hear now.

Anna Simpson

Jun 29, 2012
Your'e welcome, Justin. Also, Thomas Andrews wanted to make the reading and writing room smaller, and add more cabins/ staterooms.

Justin K

Aug 11, 2012
Pennsylvania
The reading and writing room didn't seem to get much attention. It was such a waste of space from what I hear, I'm sure if they thought about it, they could of used the space for something even more trendsetting, like they did with the Turkish bath.

Maybe a mini golf course like the voyage class ships introduced, just kidding guys!

Does anyone know of any passengers using the reading and writing room and what their feedback was of the room?